Crime | New York | News

NYPD Seeks Suspects in Two NEW Anti-Gay Attacks

Suspects

Police are seeking two suspects in two anti-gay attacks they say happened in Brooklyn and Queens, NY1 reports:

One of the incidents occurred at approximately 11:45 p.m. Sunday on a J train between the Marcy Avenue and Gates Avenue subway stations in Brooklyn, according to police.

Police say the victim, a 27-year-old man, was talking to another man on the train when the suspect approached him. They allege that the suspect made anti-gay remarks towards the victim before he punched the victim twice in the face. He then fleed towards the back of the train, according to police.

A second alleged incident took place at approximately 4:15 a.m. on March 17 at the corner of Roosevelt Avenue and 88th Street in the Jackson Heights section of Queens. Police say that suspect also punched their victim, a 49-year-old woman, in the face while making anti-gay statements.

The newly-reported attacks follow one we reported on yesterday that took place in Brooklyn's Prospect Park. The victims in the attacks would be the 11th and 12th victims in NYC of anti-gay assault in the last month.

People with information should contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS, or text CRIMES and then enter TIP577, or visit www.nypdcrimestoppers.com.

Comments

1. March 17th? Did the victim file a police report at the time?

Good luck finding the two guys in those police sketches. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. And no, it's not meant to be a 'racist' comment.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 1, 2013 11:24:14 AM

2. Because this is happening so often, a friend of mine said, "Maybe it's a new gang initiation... to gay bash someone." What do you all think? It's happening too often for it to just be random.

Posted by: Perhaps... | Jun 1, 2013 11:29:57 AM

3. I think more likely perhaps it's just being reported in the media and blogs since this whole gay bashing in NYC meme started. Also, I bet cops get gold stars for arresting gay bashers since Mr. Carson was shot in the face and murdered. It's perhaps being seen as a resume padding that could lead to promotion.

No question a huge chunk of genuine gay bashings and other assaults go un reported and are under reported, in NYC nd elsewhere.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 1, 2013 11:38:06 AM

4. Yes, the media buzz is perpetuating it. It's snowballing. A catch-22.

Posted by: Tim | Jun 1, 2013 11:39:07 AM

5. There may be more media attention on gay-bashing lately, as others have said a self-perpetuating news trend, but even if that's true it's good that people are finally paying attention to a problem that has always been there.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 1, 2013 12:20:14 PM

6. @Caliban - concur.

it's like when in 2010 the media (and non-gay society) suddenly decided to care about the alarming LGBT Youth suicide rates. some folks would say that the reporting of them was encouraging more kids to kill themselves. uh, no. the numbers didn't change. the only thing that changed was that finally people were talking about it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 1, 2013 12:25:54 PM

7. Most of these attacks are happening on the street at 4 or 5 in the morning.
    Nothing good can happen that late, so stay safe & off the street !!
    (I sound like a mother)

Posted by: mattsy | Jun 1, 2013 1:28:23 PM

8. I'll wager that if they rounded up everyone who appears like they might be a homophobe the same way they rounded up everyone who appeared to be Muslim after 9/11, they would end this rash of bashings. I'm being sarcastic, of course. I do think the NYPD needs to be more proactive at setting a tone where this kind of thing can't happen.

I disagree with ratbastard that this is something that was already happening and that the reporting is new. Sorry. Spent too much time in some of those neighborhoods to have not observed it before had it already been happening. This is new.

Posted by: William | Jun 1, 2013 1:41:52 PM

9. @William,

You contradict yourself regarding NYPD being proactive. And honestly, IT'S NOT THE POLICE FAULT people get assaulted, raped, murdered, gay bashed, etc. It's obviously the fault of the perps. Some people like to blame cops for everything. Some people, especially many 'progressives' hate and look down on cops, then get angry when cops didn't protect them from being a crime victim. It's a very childlike, immature attitude.

And I'm not a cop a** kisser. I recognize there are bad cops, corruption among police and the judiciary. I've had my share of unpleasant run-ins with cops.

My best suggestion is people take more responsibility for their own safety and protection and be prepared as best you can to respond aggressively in addition to taking proactive measures. For some reason most 'progressives' in 2013 don't like and want to people to defend themselves effectively against crime. They seem to want everyone to be totally reliant on police and the state, the very people many really do strongly dislike and look down on. It's really bizarre.

And yes, MANY crimes go unreported and under reported, including assaults.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 1, 2013 1:54:26 PM

10. Latino teenagers, probably in the country illegally, on a rampage of violence against gay men in NYC. The Black Caucus single-handedly defeating same-sex marriage in Illinois. An immigrant cab-driver in Chicago throwing a gay couple out of his cab for "making sex"

All stories on the front page of this blog.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 1, 2013 3:03:42 PM

11. You pathetic liberal effeminates should do what I do and be closeted and never ever leave your house. It's a surefire way to never get gaybashed. The only downside is rickets.

I like to say racist things from behind my computer screen and also slander effeminate men because I have fond memories of being gang-banged by my male family members at our Klan reunions.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 1, 2013 3:09:54 PM

12. "How's that "multi-cultural" paradise of a country working out for you, all you good gay white male liberals?"

About as well as white-bred, Red-state Hicksville does.

Posted by: William | Jun 1, 2013 3:30:55 PM

13. If the minorities are the problem, then the whitest states should be the most pro-gay right? Please tell me how Utah and Nebraska are doing on the gay rights front.

Posted by: pedro | Jun 1, 2013 3:44:04 PM

14. With you Caliban - I was born in NYC and lived there till I was about 30 and back then it happened all the time but it went unreported because back in the 50's and 60's no one cared. Least of all the police. Hell, they were out to get us at every turn through entrapment and any other way they could. You couldn't go to them for help.

Posted by: jleo71 | Jun 1, 2013 3:50:02 PM

15. ny is a hell hole!

Posted by: Kyle | Jun 1, 2013 4:58:22 PM

16. And LGBT in New York do nothing. Just going on about their lives as if it's not an issue effecting all LGBT. Any other city and there would be a plan of action but not with NYC LGBT.

Posted by: Luke-TX | Jun 1, 2013 4:59:34 PM

17. Yeah, it does some like the community in New York are rather complacent about their safety. When it came to marriage, or party events, they come out to show support in droves. But consistent attacks against our group, and no collective movement or response.

Posted by: Profjeno | Jun 1, 2013 5:00:56 PM

18. meanwhile, LGBT leaders remain silent, not demanding media attention, acknowledgment from authorities. Just collecting paychecks and throwing cocktail events.

Posted by: J.J | Jun 1, 2013 5:01:52 PM

19. Hmm maybe if the greater LGBT coalition in NY worked with as much passion to promote an anti-LGBT violence in the city as they did campaigning for marriage equality, these incidents would be slightly eliminated. But unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Posted by: Klien | Jun 1, 2013 5:03:02 PM

20. I think it's time to bring back segregation...

Posted by: shinned | Jun 1, 2013 5:12:41 PM

21. I agree it's time to bring back segregation. I.e. we need to segregate all the backwards, stupid people from the rest of society. Maybe, then, we'll have a little more peace.

The truth is that homophobia knows no race nor geographic location. While it is true that white gays were able to come out earlier (as a group in historical time, not necessarily as individuals in personal time), that's only because white gays already had a stronger sense of personal rights as gays they wanted enforced than minority gays had simply by virtue of being white. Minority gays, historically, were too busy fighting for their personal rights as minorities to be as concerned about their rights as gays.

That, today, even in this forum that might still be the case is pretty sad.

Posted by: William | Jun 1, 2013 6:28:58 PM

22. Can anyone find out the stats on the attackers? So far it appears most of them are latino guys who would be of the age to be in a gang. IMHO, it is gang related.

I've lived in NYC for over 12 years and, until the other week, I never experienced any type of homophobia. However, in the past 2 weeks I've been called a 'homo', etc, by these wanna-be thugs from the projects and, yes, they're all latino. What cracks me up is these guys are never tough enough to say shite unless I'm outnumbered.

And, by the way, while straight guys can tell I'm gay, gay guys usually think I'm straight.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 1, 2013 7:49:37 PM

23. How weird that they're both Latino.

Posted by: me | Jun 1, 2013 8:54:41 PM

24. There's a problem with latinos men here, it's like the pot was boiling and the lid of their homophobia just came BURSTING. I say this AS A PUERTO RICAN GAY MAN IN BROOKLYN. It's not pretty here and the blood of it all is on the hands of Ruben Diaz who PROMOTES HOMOPHOBIA daily. Diaz has a huge influence on the latino population here because he works hand in hand with the churches to spread a message of hate against LGBT.

It PISSES me off our LGBT leaders and the democratic party NEVER EVER call the man out and especially after all these hate crimes attacking our community.

Posted by: A.J | Jun 1, 2013 9:20:00 PM

25. Are we going to keep pretend that it's not young Hispanic men responsible for not only every anti hate crime so far this year, but look at the anti gay crimes from the city last year, virtually all but 3 were by younger Hispanic dudes. But let's keep pretending that's not the case. The community in NYC is sickening in it's political correctness.

Posted by: Klien | Jun 1, 2013 9:21:29 PM