Gay Youth | New York | News

The Internet's Gay 'Cutest Couple' Goes to Prom: VIDEO

Cutestcouple

Brad Taylor and Dylan Meehan, the gay Carmel, NY couple who have become a viral internet sensation this week, talk to USA Today as they headed to prom on Monday:

CutestTheir best friend, Chelsea Blaney is responsible for their Internet fame. After she posted a picture Friday of the two on her Tumblr blog, saying they won cutest couple, she went from 15 likes to 7,000 in minutes, she recalled.

Her blog and Taylor and Meehan's picture have since been shared online more than 100,000 times. Taylor said he soon got a message from his cousin in Pennsylvania saying they were "Tumblr famous." Other messages have poured in from around the world.

"I got comments from 'They're cute' to 'This has inspired me to come out to my parents,' " said Blaney, 18. "It's mind-blowing."

The couple is headed to NYU in the fall, to the Gallatin School of Individualized Study, where they expect to study theater, business and the sciences. Both have 4.0 grade point averages and scholarships, according to USA Today.

Watch their interview (warning: autoplay), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. behold the power of the world wide web - you can inspire change in people you've never met, simply by having your presence felt and known.

enjoy, boys! mad adorable.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 4, 2013 9:20:52 AM

2. It's heartening to see so much change when it comes to public perception of fisheries and marine-farming more generally!

More of this sort of thing, please!

Posted by: Anaglyptic | Jun 4, 2013 9:23:38 AM

3. Awesome! They are the real life "Kurt and Blain". Glee may not be the greatest show but it has had an impact on this younger generation. I'm 50 and my tweener kids watch it and so do their friends.

Posted by: RONTEX | Jun 4, 2013 9:33:45 AM

4. This is really super awesome! :)

Posted by: ColinATL | Jun 4, 2013 9:35:46 AM

5. Young love. Ain't it just great?

Posted by: andrew | Jun 4, 2013 9:38:17 AM

6. The worls sn't changing....it already has ! These are two great young men that happen to be gay ! Life in he closet is surely a thing of the past, and it's great ! Why would any one with half a brain disapprove or try to keep them apart? Strong, solid and loving relationships, both heterosexual and homosexual only strengthen society and the people involved. Sadly, those brainless and rotten to the cure "drunk on religion" fanatics will have a problem with it. They thrive on hate ! Well, it's too bad...gays and lesbians are consenting adults and tax paying citizens and deserve the same rights and respect as the rest of us !

Posted by: Madge | Jun 4, 2013 9:42:30 AM

7. I couldn't have ever dreamed of something like this for myself in high school. These two make me incredibly happy and incredibly jealous but, mostly happy. To come so far in such a short time is amazing.

Posted by: CHAD | Jun 4, 2013 9:44:41 AM

8. One of the best things about this is that they seem almost unaware of how big a deal this is, acceptance by their family and peers is something they seemed to have taken for granted and that's as it should be. As the article notes many schools across the country are still have hissy fits over same sex prom couples.

But on a slightly crabby note, could we *please* retire that Bieber-esque swirly comb-down hairstyle? Please? ;-)

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 4, 2013 9:50:47 AM

9. WOW !If any of these two boys were my son, I would be very proud of them ! Smart, kind,and decent and in a loving,stable relationship. One day I hope they adopt or have biological children, so they can give a good loving home to them !The family and community support they get means it all. All that lousy intolerance, hate, scorn and judgment has ruined so many lives in the past. Can anyone see this ? Let people live their lives according to their own prescription, and they will flourish ! The days of guilt, fear and shame for gay people is slowly disappearing ! This is for the better of society at large. Anyone opposed to it,I ask; if one of these young men were your son, would you want their happiness or see them miserable and perhaps suicidal ? If you answered "yes" to the second, you are a rotten, evil person and the devil's creation (and probably religious,as well.)

Posted by: Franko | Jun 4, 2013 9:56:55 AM

10. I took a guy to prom in syracuse ny back in 2001. got mad props. I like to think I personally made this possible. Me. I did.

Posted by: jeff | Jun 4, 2013 10:02:38 AM

11. Inspiring people globally by being open and loving. What a beautiful story, which wouldn't have been made possible if these boys didn't have the support and acceptance of their school and their parents. The national response really highlights how things have changed; these boys are being celebrated by being who they are and being so adorable!

Too bad most LGBT teens don't have such positive experiences. 82% of LGBT teens are harassed at school, which is only a slight improvement from where it was in 2007, when it was 89%. 85% of LGBT teens hear gay slurs at school and hear gay used in a negative way. And half of LGBT teens are rejected by their parents when they come out.

I think why these boys are so inspiring is because they sadly aren't the norm. But what they are representative of is a love that beautiful and we all dream that, one day, all LGBT youth will feel they can achieve and be open about.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 4, 2013 10:03:41 AM

12. Once again no gay minorities in the gay media...

Posted by: Alan Brickman | Jun 4, 2013 10:15:25 AM

13. Thank you Jeff for your honesty and openness in '01. Yes, same-sex couples from the past being out, open, LGBT people in general coming out and sharing our stories, make stories like this possible. There's always been good schools here and there regarding the gay thing. Some schools have always been more accepting, some schools are accepting at one point and then not and vice versa. Carmel HS I don't think many would have pegged as an accepting school but it is and that's great.

You're right, Caliban.....these boys, and their families too, really are almost completely unassuming about the whole thing. That's actually really refreshing, because that's the way it should be. Normal. Affirmed as OK and accepted. A life that will hopefully become true for more and more LGBT teens nationally.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Jun 4, 2013 10:18:33 AM

14. "They are the real life "Kurt and Blain"."

I can't think of a worse insult. Can't they just be the real life Brad and Dylan.

Posted by: ripper | Jun 4, 2013 10:23:19 AM

15. Brad is hot!

Posted by: danswon | Jun 4, 2013 10:25:27 AM

16. Rick....I mean Alan Brickman (same thing), you're a disgusting human being and a lousy troll.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 4, 2013 10:38:21 AM

17. Love these guys. But could we PLEASE limit the word "like" to maybe only 5 times in three minutes.

Posted by: Jaysonn | Jun 4, 2013 10:43:39 AM

18. That's great. <3

Posted by: Mikah | Jun 4, 2013 11:10:33 AM

19. As I stand on the cusp of my 64th birthday, I read these items and watch the videos and I can only think, "how far we have come!".

What an adorable couple! How wonderful to have such loving and supportive family and friends!

I know that there is still a way to go in changing hearts and minds about LGBTQ people. I also know that for many young gays, it can still be very difficult for them to live their lives openly, without the fear of rejection by their families or of being harassed and bullied, but we are getting there.

I am just happy to come here and see videos or news items about young, gay couples going to their senior proms together or of marriage proposals or of wedding ceremonies.

I don't know if this would make sense but they are what make me feel that all those beloved friends of mine, who left this earth way before their time, did not die in vain and that their lives have been vindicated and honored by these events.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 4, 2013 11:21:13 AM

20. Congratulations to Brad and Dylan. But there are so many disgusting comments when searching this story.

Posted by: Adam | Jun 4, 2013 11:22:00 AM

21. @ripper: I agree. It's disheartening when people--with good intentions--rely on tv referents when the real people are , well, REAL.

@jaysonn: a least they don't throw in "awesome" repeatedly as a space filler.

@jamal49: good comments, esp concerning all those of us who never had the chnce to see something like this, much less experience it themselves. I'm another sexagenarian who enjoys a good lot of what I see here.

Posted by: gregorybrown | Jun 4, 2013 11:59:50 AM

22. Love the couple, hate the Bieber-bangs.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 4, 2013 12:18:24 PM

23. Alan B, show us some out gay minorities who are the cutest couple in their high school (sure, they exist) and going to the prom and I'm sure Towleroad would run it. In this case it just happens to be a cute white male couple. Why not lesbians?!?!? Minorities?!?!?! Or ugly white males?!?!? People demand to know!

The point is, the world is changing. It may not happen all at once or in quite the order everyone wants, but change is happening. Can't we just celebrate that?

If you want to see more minorities represented in the media, become the media (technology makes it possible now) and create a web site yourself dedicated to just that. Take that effort you use making potshots at someone else's work, and create the change you want to see.

Or is that too difficult? Just complaining is sooooo much easier.

Posted by: kdknyc | Jun 4, 2013 12:19:08 PM

24. "Watch their interview (warning: autoplay), AFTER THE JUMP

"

What is this autoplay crap? I have to peruse Towleroad with the sound turned down or else I'll be reading something while some chirping geezer is going on about Depends or something.

Posted by: David Hearne | Jun 4, 2013 12:20:39 PM

25. Beautifully put, @jamal49. As you and others have said, amazing how times have changed. And how fortunate these lovely boys are to have such supportive friends and families--if only all young people were able to mature amid this kind of affection, the world would be a better place.

Going to the prom with another boy wasn't even on anyone's radar screen at my high school back in the day (I'm still the token out gay guy at our reunions), so my straight high school friends--some of whom I still feel close to--were never put to the test; the test didn't exist. Now, so much more is possible IF you're in a nurturing environment.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 4, 2013 12:21:52 PM