Afghanistan | Interview | Models | News | Underwear

BigGayDeal.com

Wounded Afghan War Vet Becomes (Underwear) Model Of Inspiration: PHOTOS, VIDEO

Minsky1

The Underwear Expert recently sat down with Afghan war veteran turned underwear model Alex Minsky to talk about his journey back from the front-lines and transformation into a model of inspiration. Minksy, who lost his right leg after an IED exploded underneath him on June 1, 2009, has faced a daunting recovery:

"I came out of my coma and I was using alcohol as a tool to cope–to cope with the trauma that was going on in my own head and in my own life and I was like messed up, dude. I was real messed up. And then a series of very unfortunate events happened back to back to back bam bam bam. My younger brother passed away when he was 19 and I was 21 and then I used alcohol even more, to cope even more. It’s a progressive illness, so my alchoholism progressed further and further and further and I never slowed down. I felt that I was, that I deserved it. I felt like I was allowed to drink that much because, I don’t know.. because I could–because I wanted to. And that’s not the case. It was very unhealthy and it is very unhealthy and it was very, very bad for me. I don’t regret anything that I’ve done–any drinking, anything like that–but it’s not a healthy way of living. And it’s very hypocritical for me also because I promote healthy living all the time in every single aspect of my life. For years I’ve been promoting it in every other aspect of my life–except for my own personal abuse of alcohol. I would abuse the crap out of alcohol."

More than anything, Minksy hopes to be an inspiration to others.  He tells NBC 4 Los Angeles,

"Just because I don't have a leg doesn't mean it's going to slow me down. I want people to look at me and not give up. Not quit."

Check out a few more photos from Minsky's shoot with The Underwear Expert as well as a video from NBC 4 AFTER THE JUMP...

(all images Gabriel Gastelum exclusively for The Underwear Expert)

Minsky3

Minsky2

Minksy4

View more videos at: http://nbclosangeles.com.

Comments

1. let me just say that as far as the package goes, that missing part wouldn't make the least bit of difference to me.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jun 20, 2013 6:34:20 PM

2. The date of the Underwear Expert story is May 9.

Posted by: 24play | Jun 20, 2013 7:00:40 PM

3. This guy is a regular on GWiP. Too hot!

Posted by: gayalltheway | Jun 20, 2013 7:01:49 PM

4. he really is good looking on top of his unbelievable courage and determination . puts a lot of whiners to same.

Posted by: walter | Jun 20, 2013 7:03:30 PM

5. He's very brave and truly inspirational.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 20, 2013 7:28:38 PM

6. The lack of a leg is the least of this tattooed freak's problems. Gross.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 20, 2013 7:28:59 PM

7. I love this story. I hope he turns out to be gay friendly (that's where the underwear model's bread is buttered). A guess: it's a fortunate thing he has fantastic body art. Bad body art can sink you.

Posted by: will | Jun 20, 2013 7:34:59 PM

8. I saw a story about him yesterday (on Yahoo of all places) and did a Google image search. Holy moly! There are some awesome photos and yes, he's an inspiration in many ways. FWIW, the tattoos are in part to cover the extensive scarring he has from the IED.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 20, 2013 7:46:17 PM

9. That first MateoM isn't me. Because I cannot get enough of this inspirational man. I'm a tattoo fan. He's gorgeous on every level. Unlike the troll who keeps posting under my name.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 20, 2013 7:48:16 PM

10. Very sexy guy. Very admirable guy. And you've got to love the sense of humor of someone who would tattoo "Don't laugh" right above their crotch.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jun 20, 2013 7:50:20 PM

11. Whoever posted under MateoM isn't me, but actually Rick/Jason posting a me to ruin my reputation. Flattering and infuriating at the same time. So if you see anyone posting as MateoM and writing nasty homophobic or mean things, know its just the troll Rick/Jason posting as me.

Posted by: MateoM | Jun 20, 2013 7:54:05 PM

12. One of the tattoos he has is the word "optimist" in script across the knuckles of both hands.

I figure if THIS guy, who got his leg blown off, can still think of himself as an optimist then maybe I can get through my own challenges without a whole lot of p!ssing and moaning. Maybe. I'm not making any promises and I reserve the right to b!tch! ;-)

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 20, 2013 8:02:54 PM

13. This makes me so happy. Mainly because I hope this helps take off some of the negative stigma towards amputees in regards to being less attractive. Just to help normalize it to a degree. Stop people from saying, "He's hot, if only..." and instead be saying, "He's hot"

Posted by: Tonez | Jun 20, 2013 8:13:46 PM

14. Alex Minsky is awesome. Love the guy.

And yes, he is gay friendly. He is straight, but has said numerous times that he loves his gay fans and thinks people should be free to love whomever they want.

Posted by: OddBet | Jun 20, 2013 9:05:38 PM

15. Beautiful man and thanks bud for your service.

Posted by: greenfuzz | Jun 20, 2013 9:20:34 PM

16. He is just one of the many who suffered from ptsd. Hope his new found career help him heal along the way.

Posted by: bambinoitaliano | Jun 20, 2013 9:21:02 PM

17. Love his smile and admire his courage and optimism.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 20, 2013 9:28:50 PM

18. did he also spend hard time upstate ... with all that awful ink on that beautiful body ... like graffiti on the Mona Lisa

Posted by: MarkBoston | Jun 21, 2013 1:06:59 AM

19. I don't care how many legs this guy does or doesn't have, those tattoos are repellant.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 21, 2013 2:05:38 AM

20. @ MarkBoston and Mark: Nobody gives a crap what you think about tattoos. Minsky didn't get them for *you,* he got them for himself. And, as Caliban mentioned, they mask significant scarring from his injuries.

Posted by: Rich F. | Jun 21, 2013 3:25:26 AM

21. Rich, everyone should be able to express their opinion on this board without degrading them....that is the whole point of this board, to see other points of view. At first, I, too, was turned off by the tats, but that's just me...I'm not into them. Thankfully, I kept reading some of the comments with an open mind, only to discover the reason behind those tats...to cover some nasty scars left by an IUD. He is hot, leg missing or not. All the best to him, tats and all. He is doing something positive with his life, and hopefully making a boatload of money to boot.

Posted by: millerbeach | Jun 21, 2013 3:56:30 AM

22. He's amazing. I'm assuming he no longer drinks, but that wasn't made very clear in the post.

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 21, 2013 7:53:07 AM

23. FYI, Alex posted the equality avatar the week DOMA was argued before the Supreme Court and unfriended people who said anti-LBGTQ things in response. He spoke out forcefully and eloquently in favor of equality. He is a sexy, sweet, and caring guy who served his country at great personal loss; and he is an outspoken ally to our community. Focus on what's important; if you don't find people with tattoos (or missing limbs) attractive, well "a chacun son gout."

Posted by: Bryan | Jun 21, 2013 9:07:59 AM

24. Come on guys, can't you even read those tats you don't like? The one over his junk says "Don't Laugh". That is comedy gold.

And some of us like a little bad boy.

Posted by: Mousie | Jun 21, 2013 9:54:56 AM

25. As usual, there are the usual tattoo haters that comment. "Repellant"? Really??? Why can't you just say you don't care for them, or just not talk about them. And I didn't get mine for you either. :-D

Posted by: Ernest1960 | Jun 21, 2013 10:03:53 AM