Crime | Gay Pride | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Two Men Harass, Assault LGBT Youth on the NYC Subway After Pride: VIDEO

Antigays

The two men pictured above harassed and assaulted a group of LGBT youth on the NYC subway on Sunday after Pride festivities.

The uploader of the video writes:

On Sunday, June 30th at around 11:45 PM, I was riding home on the Queens-bound F train following a day of LGBT Pride festivities. Two men were loudly making homophobic comments, such as "Today was a scary day for me. There were fags everywhere." When a group of queer youth got on the train, the men proceeded to harass them, stating that the teens made them want to puke and that they would be killed if they were in Iran. The first assailant then threatened to rape them, at which point I took out my phone to document the incident.

Seeing that he was being recorded, the first assailant lunged at me, violently grabbing my arms while trying to steal away my phone. One of the youth took the phone from me temporarily to protect it and told the assailant he shouldn't attack a woman. When the assailant threatened to punch me, I took the phone back and ran to the other side of the train to push the emergency button and alert the authorities. At this point the second assailant got up and came towards me, grabbing my body and hands to try and get the phone to destroy the evidence. I yelled and told him I was an attorney. An onlooker then got up and stood between the assailants and myself, and another person left to get the train conductor.

A group of people had gathered to stand up to the gay bashers. During this, the second assailant put his hand around the neck of a young queer woman. When the doors opened up at the Roosevelt Ave stop, both assailants fled. I followed them to the station exit while calling 911. One witness had overheard them saying they were on route to Jamaica; they're likely commuters who regularly take this route.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATE: The Anti-Violence Project denounces the incident:

AVP is reaching out to the NYPD about this incident, and is contacting community partner Make the Road New York, and New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, the Queens District Attorney’s Office, and Council Member Ruben Wills in Queens.

REPORTING VIOLENCE HELPS END VIOLENCE: AVP encourages you to report violence you experience or witness to our free and confidential 24-hour bilingual (English/Spanish) hotline at 212-714-1141 where you can speak with a trained counselor and seek support, or you can report violence anonymously online.

Comments

1. Good for these good people! This is what we need to do, stand up to every oppressor. Put their pictures on every news station & every NY blog.

Posted by: Sean | Jul 2, 2013 8:36:14 PM

2. I agree with Sean 100%

Posted by: disgusted American | Jul 2, 2013 8:42:39 PM

3. Pretend you're an attorney. Works every time. There are thousands more where they came from.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 2, 2013 8:56:11 PM

4. Didn't see your name anywhere or even if you identify as LGBT but regardless I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for your bravery in standing up to protect these gay kids. You and the others that intervened are this country's hope for the future.

HUGS!

Posted by: JONES | Jul 2, 2013 9:01:12 PM

5. A few good MA defense moves is all that is needed to put these 2 men on the ground begging. NYC gays really need to take some classes and learn some moves.

Posted by: Kev C | Jul 2, 2013 9:01:25 PM

6. Dudes, you guys are pervs that it matters that much to you!

Posted by: starshipcaptain | Jul 2, 2013 9:02:42 PM

7. These guys should be very easy to find. NYC is a big city but it is pretty small town when it comes to neighborhoods. F Train Queens Bound I take it all the time within Manhattan. I'll be watching out for them. They were traveling on to Jamaica Station.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 2, 2013 9:12:27 PM

8. The moment they lay a finger on you in any kind of menacing way, they have committed an assault. Grab the hardest and heaviest object within your reach and don't stop hitting them in the throat, face, and/or crotch with it until they run away or stop moving. DO NOT HESITATE. DO NOT STOP. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE CHANCE TO GET THE UPPER HAND.

Posted by: screamingqueen | Jul 2, 2013 9:20:22 PM

9. Most importantly, don’t forget to scream while you are doing it.

Posted by: Teehee | Jul 2, 2013 9:55:35 PM

10. Lots of people--including me--have tweeted this. They'll be found. Slime.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jul 2, 2013 10:18:35 PM

11. I hope they find these bastards and give them the highest penalty possible, hopefully including some serious jail time.

Posted by: fml | Jul 2, 2013 10:27:07 PM

12. For their own safety, they should present themselves for arrest at their nearest police station as soon as possible.

Someone might be itching to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Posted by: nick | Jul 2, 2013 10:29:12 PM

13. That's right.Take a stand!

Posted by: Mikah | Jul 2, 2013 11:00:46 PM

14. Print this pic out & post it all around the stations with a contact

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 3, 2013 12:05:29 AM

15. Better yet, contact the New York City Anti-Violence Project as soon as you can:

Phone: 212.714.1184
    24 Hour Hotline: 212.714.1141

AVP was founded in 1980 in Chelsea in reaction to neighborhood incidents of anti-gay violence.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 3, 2013 12:14:26 AM

16. The F train to Queens is a long a** ride. It's a hike from where pride took place.

Incidents like this are more common than many people would suspect. This one was just videoed and posted online, and is being picked up. It also involved a decent sized group not just a single individual or couple being harassed. A lot of things like this occur that people never hear about, and I'm not just talking about anti-gay hate crimes, just regular assaults, people being jumped.

For phuks sake people, learn to physically defend yourself. If necessary, carry something that can be used as a weapon. Talking to guys like this only provokes them. They have disdain for people trying to talk their way out of a fight. They only understand physical violence. Sorry if this simple fact upsets some people, this is the way most of the world really is. Cops are rarely around when you need them. Remember that.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 3, 2013 12:44:35 AM

17. They look Mexican. Figures.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jul 3, 2013 12:48:53 AM

18. I know one of the guys really well, the shorter guy, I havent seen him in a few years but he was always non agressive. And never had a problem with gays. We worked with gays as well and he never talked bad about them and dealt with them really nicely. I also can tell that he is drunk in the video. Of course, I wasnt there to see the whole thing, but I think people are going too far. Anytime you get into a fight or argument with a gay person, its always called gay bashing. Did the fight start because he started it because the other peopel are gay? I pretty much dont think so.

Posted by: bobo | Jul 3, 2013 12:50:25 AM

19. seriously "bobo"? you are protecting and justifying the d-bag's actions? the drunk defense is such an out. so I suppose by your rationale, if he was fingered for domestic assault you'd say his wife/gf probably started it? gtfo ... turn him in and let the facts speak for themselves...

Posted by: marcus | Jul 3, 2013 1:08:51 AM

20. What crimes did he commit?
    The bigger guy was the one who attacked the camera girl i believe
    are the police looking for him?

Posted by: bobo | Jul 3, 2013 1:12:33 AM

21. SS Stupid Scum!

Posted by: billmiller | Jul 3, 2013 1:49:17 AM

22. disturbing to watch. not very politically correct to say, but getting into a fight with a self-righteous lesbian, definitely not something I would ever want in my life...haha. I've had more than my fair share pick fights with me when they're drunk.

Posted by: steve | Jul 3, 2013 4:08:10 AM

23. six words: Pepper Spray Crotch Stomp Don't Stop

Posted by: William D. Wilkerson | Jul 3, 2013 4:16:08 AM

24. six words: Pepper Spray Crotch Stomp Don't Stop

Posted by: William D. Wilkerson | Jul 3, 2013 4:16:08 AM

25. @bobo; I saw two hands on assaults and death threats. Those are arrestable offenses. Plus menacing and disturbance charges, although the video is edited and jittery.

Posted by: Kev C | Jul 3, 2013 4:59:38 AM