‘Ender’s Game’ Boycott Group Says Lionsgate’s Statement on Orson Scott Card Changes Nothing

Geeks Out, the group behind the planned boycott of Ender's Game, the film adaptation of the 1985 best-selling novel by outspoken homophobe Orson Scott Card, says it appreciates Lionsgate Entertainment's public rejection of Card's and NOM's anti-gay worldview, but that the boycott is still on.

Writes the group:
Card

The simple fact is that Skip Ender’s Game has never been about the content of the novel or the film Ender’s Game. It’s about money. It’s about the money the company has already paid to Card and the potential millions he and the National Organization for Marriage stand to make off of the success of the film—our money.

A benefit premiere, indeed any outreach to the LGBT community by Lionsgate, ought to be much appreciated. What’s clear is that whether or not they support his views, Lionsgate is standing by their man and their would-be blockbuster. They made the common, perhaps cynical, calculation that audiences wouldn’t connect Ender’s Game with Card’s very public homophobia—or wouldn’t care. Geeks OUT appreciates that most American families work for every dollar and care deeply about where that money goes and what it supports.

Skip Ender's Game is not a threat; it is a reality. Our pledge adds hundreds of signatures every day from sci-fi fans around the world who would rather stay home than support homophobia. We have only just started and Geeks OUT and its allies are prepared to carry on past November 1. Nothing Card nor Lionsgate has said changes the fact that skipping Ender's Game is the easiest way to ensure none of your dollars go to Orson Scott Card's and the National Organization for Marriage's extreme anti-gay agenda.

See the Skip Ender's Game pledge HERE.

There are those in the LGBT community who oppose the boycott, like Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black.

The NYT adds:
Black

Still, not every advocate of gay equality and same-sex marriage is convinced that turning away from “Ender’s Game,” which cost about $110 million to make, is the best way to counter Mr. Card.

“No way am I boycotting,” said Dustin Lance Black, who in 2009 won an Oscar for writing “Milk,” about the gay activist Harvey Milk, and who campaigned against California’s Proposition 8, which sought to ban gay marriage.

Speaking from London on Wednesday, Mr. Black — who, like Mr. Card, comes from a Mormon family — said he would rather engage with, than shut out, political and cultural adversaries. “We haven’t been getting the numbers we’ve seen by disengaging,” Mr. Black said, referring to a rise in public acceptance of same-sex marriage and other measures of gay equality.

Summit executives declined to be interviewed about the boycott call or Mr. Card’s involvement in the movie.

Comments

1. Dev says

Boycotting the movie is not “shutting out adversaries.” It is just not putting money into Orson Scott Card’s pocket–which I support. No Ender’s Game for me.

2. Geoff says

Don’t get me wrong; I’m very grateful for the work DLB has done for us – none-the-less, OSC/NOM will never, ever receive a penny of my money. Ever. For anything.

3. Felix says

Dustin Lance Black chose the Hollywood machinery. Period. One of the most racist, misogynist and homophobic industries ever existed, but they have the BIG BUCK$.

I’ll watch the movie though…through a torrent.

4. Marshall says

I think DLB is not considering the fact that there is already a general boycott of his work by the groups OSC is a member of and supports. Yes, it’s not official. They would say they don’t care for the content of Black’s work. But believe me, if they know he’s involved they don’t go.

Given that we live in a primarily heterosexual word (and perhaps that’s changing a bit) our community has a long history of supporting artistic work that either ignores us or even maligns us. It’s great to see members of our community standing up and pushing back. While LG claims the film is not homophobic, given it’s author, I suspect that our community has been erased from his vision of the future. Yes, that’s true in many films but in this case we know it was done with malice. That alone is reason not to go.

Also, I think DLB is wrong to consider sitting in a movie theater watching a movie engaging with anyone. It’s a passive act. His attendance will not change anyone’s mind. Whereas non-attendance just might.

5. says

I can still engage in conversation AND not spending a dime on this movie.

20 dollars ticket will instead go to LGBT youth program and 4 weekend hours of time spend on this movie will go to volunteering at LGBT center.

6. Mundus says

At the risk of being controversial I am inclined to agree with DLB on this issue; Orson Scott Card should be opposed, at every turn, for his evil and vile homophobia but I am not convinced that a boycott of this movie will achieve this. Let us oppose him politically and use reason and rationality to do so.

Having said that I would not criticize anyone who chose not to give money to see this movie, that is their choice, but to criticize DLB on this issue is to attack an obviously sincere ally over a (legitimate) disagreement over policy.

Noone should doubt his obvious commitment to LGBT equality – let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

7. Bob says

Dustin Lance Black suffers the damage of having been raised in mormonity and of attempting to maintain a connection to the moreholes. (Understandable, from a personal point of view, as they are his family members)

NONETHELESS — No major mormon supporter of Prop 8 has come forward with any attempt to undo the damage and hurt. Typical of older male mormons, Card makes it our fault, not his.
    A BOYCOTT WILL BE A GOOD WAY TO KEEP THE ISSUE OF THE DAMAGE ALIVE
    — screw Lionsgate for overlooking who they worked with, until they sincerely make amends

8. Kevin says

Sorry,but if nothing else,Card still works for NOM and they’ve already announced they are hard at work in Indiana to work on a constituional ban there.
    So Dustin,those gay youth you want to help? You can do that by not encourgaing people to see a film that will help make the ones in Indiana second class citizens.

9. JONES says

Dustin Lance Black equating ‘engaging’ with paying to see this movie is an utterly ridiculous false equivalency. Just exactly how is putting money into OSC’s hands ‘engaging’ anyone?

Speaking out against a documented rabid homophobe and his allies by developing a nationwide boycott engenders far more conversation about the responsibility and consequences of oppression than any engaging he might accomplish by attending this movie.

10. bambinoitaliano says

On this point I respectfully disagree with Dustin. There should not be a price tag on what we can tolerate. This is not Fear Factor. Putting money in the pocket of bigots who will use it against us is plain stupid. The quickest way to end this bigots is to cut off their supply line. This also send a message to movie studios not to take homophobia lightly the next time they decide to collude with bigots. Not that these movie heads have any conscience when it comes to money making. Hence they try to protect their investment by putting out PSA, even getting Dustin to make a statement. Since money is the only way to directly communicate with these meat heads, say no and watch some other movie. At this rate I rather go watch Sharknado.

11. bravo says

Why do we have to boycott the movie version of a really fascinating book that is almost 30 years old just because its author is a NOM leader? How many people need to boycott DLBs next movie?

Enders Game is a great story. DLB is right on the money. Don’t boycott creative works of people you disagree with. It says to them “please tune out my contributions to society, as I shall tune out yours”.

Thomas Jefferson advocated castration of men convicted of sodomy. I still am very happy to reread the Declaration.

12. anon says

@Bravo Reading the Declaration doesn’t put any profits into the hands of Jefferson to be used against us. That’s the difference. Card profits monetarily if the movie is successful. And, Card would put that profit to use against us through his Mormon church and NOM.

13. says

A bit of the devils advocate…I do not plan on seeing the movie, nor have I read any of his books, but, boycotts usually don’t amount to the paper that the signs are printed on. Boycott’s of Disneyland/Disney World were ineffective for anti-gay groups, and the infamous Chick-Fil-A boycott by gays gave Chick-Fil-A one of their best days of profits, high profile publicity and didn’t hurt the company in the long run. It might put the message out, but other than that, normally boycotts are ineffective.

14. JONES says

@bravo
    You going to buy cookies at the next NOM bake sale also?

‘Don’t boycott creative works of people you disagree with.’
    You make it sound as though we’re in disagreement over a trivial issue like a traffic light location. This lunatic is waging political war to deny you your civil rights and by paying to see this movie you will be funding that war.

15. says

I had no idea Orson Scott Card was a homophobe or a contributing member to NOM when I read his trilogy 10 years ago. As a matter of fact, even though he was writing of adolescents, (forgive me NAMBLA), I sort of saw it as homo-erotic. I saw many of the relationships in the story as void of sexuality. Not Asexual, but Unisexual(?) in that boys loved boys. That’s a bad thing?

16. MArk says

The only kind of effective boycott i’m planing to do is to tell any relative or friend that if they watch the movie when it comes out they are dead to me :) and I mean it!

17. Joesph Foster says

Mormons stick together, so should we. Is Lionsgate’s LGBT benefit going to equal the amount of money going to Card? Of course not, it’s a token crumb to shut us up. It’s really insulting.

18. DanO says

While Lance doesn’t think the boycott is productive, the reporter got part of what he said wrong. He says it’s more effective to engage your family members that aren’t quite on board to equality than to boycott. Boycott the movie, fine. But when you castigate people that go and see the movie you do us more harm than good.
    Turning on Lance for giving his opinion ignores that the main reason why we have marriage equality back in California was due to him and his friends in the film industry organizing and funding the Prop 8 challenge.

19. daws says

I don’t begrudge anyone who would go and see this film, including Dustin, but I’d feel sick doing it. I get that some people are able to separate the artist from the work but it’s not so easy for me.

It’s Card’s right to stand for what he believes in but he just needs to suck it up that he’s alienated potential consumers that way.

20. Don says

Did DLB learn nothing from writing about Harvey Milk who helped engineer a boycott of Coors beer because of the company’s homophobia? How disappointing. A boycott is the very definition of engagement. It is standing up collectively, insisting that you be recognized and your objections be heard.

Should the day ever come that OSC FULLY and without qualification renounces his discriminatory statements and efforts (see Tim Hardaway) and makes amends for his oppression of our community, I’ll be happy to support his work.

Until that admittedly unimaginable day, there are plenty of other gay-friendly entertainment options for me to support and enjoy.

21. JONES says

Characterizing a boycott against a project that will financially support a known oppressor as ‘disengaging’ is what I disagree with in DLB’s statement.

It’s far from disengaging. Instead of disengaging it is in fact actively standing up to them and saying ‘no, your opposition to my civil rights is abhorrent and I refuse to help finance it by paying to buy your product’.

Winning over the hearts and minds of friends and loved ones is an entirely different situation. Calling out DLB for that false equivalency is hardly turning on him and yes, he is a hero for his work on Prop 8 but no, he’s not infallible.

22. JMC says

???????

this doesn’t make any sense!

23. Profe Sancho Panza says

DLB also couldn’t wait to shake Ken Mehlman’s hand and welcome him to the fold. The man wouldn’t recognize an ethical principle if he tripped over it.

24. Ted B. (Charging Rhino) says

Dustin Lance Black is only supporting Lionsgate to avoid trouble with the Screenwriters Guild…

OSC isn’t getting any of my money.

25. BrianL says

Does anyone else have a hard time imagining DLB actually being interested in Ender’s Game to begin with? I don’t see him as being into Sci-Fi (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong)

26. Bill says

Of course I won’t be seeing this movie. I fought too long for my community to ever support anything any member, known member, of NOM contributes to.

27. Hughes says

Well consider this, Orson Scott can make a MAJOR profit from this film, and is already making a huge load of money. Why would I as a self respecting gay man support his pockets any further? No thankyou. Integrity

28. Two Dads says

His whole career he’s donated and spoken against gay rights. His whole career he’s invested money to anti gay organizations. You think he’ll stop now? Please. NOM and anti gay bigots are more energized than before.

29. Lazerlight595 says

There’s ways to see a movie without paying. I personally dont think the movie looks good at all and have no interest in seeing it personally, but there’s ways to see a flick (like online) I guess

30. Michael C says

Hell no will I support this project, and it’s not a dig at Lionsgate. It’s a dig at a prominent part of this movie that I choose not to even indirectly support.

31. Cali Dude says

We have a right as consumers to spend or NOT spend our hard earned dollars anywhere we choose not to. We don’t OWE anyone or anything our money. Anyone crying foul about boycotts… Get the eff over it. I don’t owe your entity a dollar. I can spend it anywhere I wish or not wish for whatever reason. Free market.

32. LipstickDiva says

This boycott has nothing to do with Lionsgate who’s pictures and products I have supported many times in the past. It has everything to do with Orson Scott who is an evil evil monster and contributed a great deal in prejudice campaigns against us. Period

33. Jay says

Dustin Lance Black is an insider and as such he takes a diplomatic approach. But his argument fails in that people like SOC are unreachable. And if anything it is up to SOC to make the first move in making amends. He is in the wrong and seems please to be in that state. Not even God forgives the unrepenting.

34. JH says

I’m going to be seeing this movie because the book has always meant so much to me, but I plan on donating at least the cost of my ticket to the Trevor Project or another similar organization. It doesn’t take the money out of OSC’s pocket, but at least the net impact will be positive.

35. TonyJazz says

It is fun that the Mormon church is starting to get smart and back away from legal matters.

However, it is such a manufactored religion (and OSC is clearly rather evil), so why would Dustin Lance Black lend either any support? I guess I had given him more credit than I should have.

I’m sure DLB’s a nice guy and serve him some green jello, but…..

36. jjose712 says

CB: I’m not that sure the boycott didn’t hurt Chick-Fil-A in the long run. If it didn’t make some damage they wouldn’t do so much PR work, and try actively to hide Dan Cathy views all the time.

Boycotts work only if the people who are the potential buyers of users care about the people who make the boycott.
    Ender’s game is a scifi novel (a good one, i don’t deny that), and it was a bestseller. But scifi and fantasy (and other genres) are very specific niches. You can get a bestseller if you atract your potential readers, you don’t need to atract a wide audience (some very specific gay novels have great sells without any appeal to straight audiences). With films is different (that’s one of the causes Hollywood is so conservative and so unable to take risks), you need a wider appeal.
    Ender’s game is a popular novel but you need to atract non scifi fans to make the film a success, and that’s the danger of the boycott for the company, because this will be bad press, and will make some of the people who are potential viewers not going to watch the film

37. Seio says

Why would I as a lesbian who has been trying to get married to my partner of 14 years in Nebraska pay to see this movie? Uhhh nope. No interest,

38. K.J says

It’s not about the studio, it’s about this movie being made into other movies, a part 2 or 3, and Orson Scott Card continuing to benefit MAJOR dough from it. I don’t want to contribute to that. I’d rather sleep well at night.

39. Duration & Convexity says

For me, it’s pretty simple. I believe in equality across the board and I walk the walk, not just talk the talk. I support those who support my community, and I also support those who haven’t stated whether they do or not, but I surely don’t support any project with someone from the likes of NOM in any capacity involved in it.

40. Kevin Alfonso says

Guys, Dustin Lance Black like much of Hollywood is about ONE thing; money. We, the LGBT who are grassroots, from the ghettos, and small towns, and not so resourceful are the ones making a difference. TRULY working for all LGBT. Sticking to our convictions and speaking our for LGBT values. Never forget that.

41. ArchMonsoon says

Uhhh, Dustin Lance Black is filthy rich, what would he know about why LGBT won’t support this movie? What would he know about all the effects of National Orgaization for Marriage and how the hundreds of thousands of dollars donated to them by Orson Card passed policies that drove our LGBT youth to suicide. It doesn’t effect the likes of DLB folks. It effects us. Of course they want you to support their studio friends project. It’s all one well oiled money making machine.

A real human stands consistently for what they believe in. Through & Through!

42. Just A Dude says

Boycotts do work because if for nothing else, they trigger a national dialogue. One that is uncomfortable, and sticky, and sometimes messy, but VITAL and necessary, and so important to carry on. NO ONE ever in history said that a company would be shut down from one boycott, but every person with convictions they dearly believed in when boycotting an entity wanted to engage conversation. Chik Fil A did that. I have family from the south who, to this day, tell me they had no clue how much equality and gay rights meant to gay people until the Chik Fil A incident. The road to humanity is not easy, or pretty, but it’s worth taking, and standing up and speaking out about what you believe in. That’s why we’re placed on this earth.

43. c says

Two things….

1. Black is being an idiot. You don’t reward studios for hiring somebody on the board of the most powerful bigoted anti-gay organization in the country. The one that has funded numerous anti gay initiatives state by state. You let them know that those views cost them money.

2. Lionsgate, in trying to prove how gay friendly they were could only name 2 movies they have done with that had some “Gay” in them. Gods and Monsters, and The Perks of being a Wallflower. Those movies are 12 years apart, I’m just wondering how many scripts were turned down during those years by Lionsgate for being “Too Gay”.

Bigotry is going to cost them money

44. MD says

I saw trailer and was shocked that any studio or major stars would want to have anything to do with this project. My opinion of them plummeted and has not yet changed. for the actors it would be nice to hear that hey were unaware of his views. I appreciate Geeks Out and agree with their take on the situation.

I believe that the movie regardless will be a financial success and wish that SkipEnders would explicitly acknowledge this, just want as to educate as many as prior to the movies release.

Now the topic appears to be to boycott or blacklist. Would we be having this discussion if he advocated deporting all African Americans? Doubtfull. He wanted to arbitrarily throw gays in prison to teach the others a lesson. Is incarceration worse than deportmnent? His disdain for gays is barely masked any of his opinions.

If I had any inkling that this man has evolved my opinion would be different

45. Jerry says

I seriously do not get this generation of gays. Im 40yrs old and Id like to think that most of us would NOT EVEN CONSIDER supporting this movie and giving this guy more power or cash. What the hell is wrong with you guys? I dont care how “really fascinating” it is. You are giving money to someone who hates you, you little moron.

46. kode says

I’d like to see an interview with Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley, when they are on Ender’s Game PR tour, where the interviewer makes Ford and Kingsley read aloud homophobic texts Card has written. And I’d like to see them being asked that what do their gay friends think of them when they decided to be part of a film that would finance the anti-gay work Card and NOM are doing.

Probably Lionsgate’s minders are making sure Card is not discussed in the PR interviews, but if some really big celebrity interviewer did this it just might happen.

47. jjose712 says

Dillon: Oh please, you are overreacting a little bit.
    I don’t agree with him, but he was quite critic of mormon church in the past (in fact he was very criticied for his “attacks”).
    I understand him not liking the boycott, i think most creative people don’t like boycotts on creative works at all, but he is missing the point.
    It’s not an attack on Lions Gate, or even on Ender’s game (because the novel can be seen as quite progressive, at least its ending wich don’t match at all with OSC views).
    What people don’t want is OSC recieving money to fund more anigay causes, it’s as simple as that. But of course, people like DLB can have a different opinion

48. jjose712 says

David Ehrenstein: No, it’s not. That’s oversimplicate what he said.
    He think it’s not productive a boycott, that’s very different that thinking Orson Scott Card is right.

I’m not a big fan of boycotts myself, and in this case i agree because he will receive a good amount of money to fund antigay causes, because that’s what really matter not his stupid antigay views.

Frankly, at this point i couldn’t care less about his Orson’s points of view. He is not a relevant writer anymore. It’s his place on NOM what matters here, and the damage he could make from his position.
    And in my opinion that’s the point Dustin Lance Black is missing, because he is talking like he only has divergent opinions, not like he actively work to damage gay rights

49. mmike1969 says

So the pig Orson first begs people NOT to boycott the film and now Lionsgate is saying the same thing…

I wonder what kind of impact this is having on a movie that is not even out yet.

50. says

I think DLB totally has a point. A protected point/opinion, which is ultimately what OSC has, too. Funny how a lot of people type they won’t support the movie in question but quite possibly would not engage in an actual debate with someone that doesn’t share a common view. That’s what DLB is saying, I think – that debate, any debate, is ongoing. These days, we are all so capable of voicing an opinion, or what passes as an opinion, simply by knocking down someone else’s. Oof.

51. JONES says

‘These days, we are all so capable of voicing an opinion, or what passes as an opinion, simply by knocking down someone else’s. Oof.’

Which is exactly what DLB did and yet you ‘totally support’ him.

DLB’s point that engaging is the best way to win over hearts is valid but everything else he did and said was offensive to those who support the boycott.

Characterizing the boycott as disengaging is false as was his inference that this was a boycott against allies in the movie industry.
    The boycott isn’t against the movie industry in general but is specifically stated as a protest against the financial gains OSC would make from those he oppresses. That was a failed reach and DLB knows better.

Disagreement over the effectiveness of a boycott is one thing but even if it’s not DLB’s way his ‘no way am I boycotting’ was a slap in the face to those that chose to not support OSC financially by boycotting the movie. Where was his ‘engaging in debate’ on boycotting before making that statement publicly?

I question the sincerity of anyone that thinks they can change the mind of a person like OSC, Santorum, Gallagher, Bachman, Fischer et al by sitting down to ‘actual debate’ with them. Their bigotry is not intellectual.

52. Javier says

I do not plan on going to see the movie within the first two weeks of it playing. The first two weeks all ticket sales go to the studios, after that the sales go to the local theatre. Or I can wait until it hits the dollar theater.

53. JONES says

No Fenrox Dustin Lance Black is not an idiot.
    He’s a LGBT rights leader that is a hero to the community and should be given respect for his efforts in what we’ve accomplished in our struggle for equality. But respect is a two way street and his voice when expressed in dissent against actions others fighting against discrimination initiate is not free from rebuke.

54. Jayce says

there shouldn’t be any rush to watch it. everything becomes available on torrent. Remember, everyone who worked on this movie has already been paid. It’s not like they’ll miss a meal or something.