Immigration | News | News Clips | Steve King | Video

Liberal Group Trolls Anti-Gay Congressman Steve King - VIDEO

American Bridge Trolls Steve King

Repulican Rep. Steve King of Iowa has already been called out by Ricky Martin online for his bigoted remarks. Now, the liberal group American Bridge is having some fun at King's expense, and overtly mocking the congressman...on his very own official website. Granted, the group is mocking him for his remarks on immigration, not LGBT rights, but that doesn't mean we can't also be in on the joke.

King posted the American Bridge video, which documents him using his pets as an example during a discussion of immigration law, on his site Monday as a means for soliciting donations. Below the video, King insists that:

"I complimented legal immigrants. In fact, I've even received dozens of messages from Hispanics who have watched the video letting me know it was complimentary and many of them declared their disgust for the way the left has tried to twist my words!"

King's opponents, on the other hand, claim that King was making a direct and offensive comparison between immigrants and dogs. Luckily for American Bridge, YouTube allows content creators to place annotations on their videos at any point after their video is uploaded. Those annotations will then display on top of the video across most of its platforms, including any pages choosing to embed that video. Thus, when American Bridge added some rather conspicuous pop ups to their video, those pop ups were subsequently displayed on King's site as well.

You can view the video, pop ups and all, AFTER THE JUMP (via Politico). You can also view Steve King's page on his official site HERE

Comments

1. Sorry... he may not have meant to be offensive but he definitely was. The "sleepy Mexican" is too prevalent in the mind's of bigots for that to be dismissed.

George Lopez used to do a bit on it about his dad railing against those paintings that always depict a sombrero-tipped Mexican sleeping in the corner.

His dad would yell, "I got 3 jobs, 2 beepers, & a mobile phone; I'm a busy, f'n, Mexican!" Too true! :)

Posted by: Pete N SFO | Jul 31, 2013 11:10:19 AM

2. And the immigrants who risk their lives to sneak across the border or arrive in a tiny boat aren't the motivated ones? I don't understand. I want the people who are willing to fight to get here and stay here, who are smart enough to make it happen. America is full of all the people who up and left home, and took their adventurous genes out of the home pool and put them here.
    And, btw, mutts are healthier than purebreds. I'm an American mutt. Booyah.

Posted by: Book | Jul 31, 2013 11:52:02 AM

3. My family came here from Baden-Württemberg Germany in 1749, and the other half was Algonquin. I call people that disrespect immigrants out on the fact that My family has been here for 264 years (on the one side, I don't even go into the other issue). If they start getting nasty about immigration, I go right back at them. I feel like most people who have a huge issue with immigrants are part of families who have only been here from the late 19th century, makes no sense.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 31, 2013 12:44:30 PM

4. BOOK - your comments about mutts are racist!

Posted by: SamIam | Jul 31, 2013 2:03:39 PM

5. Towleroad keeps mis-informing people with a warped story.

King NEVER said immigrants were "dogs."

They're twisting words to make people outraged about something that didn't happen.

Here's a novel idea: trying reading his comments verbatim on your own, instead of just blindly accepting them as truth?

Posted by: sean | Jul 31, 2013 2:05:24 PM

6. @Sean, You just don't get it (and probably never will). Even if he never made the statement that immigrants were dogs. His analogy was offensive. He could have made his point just as well and never uttered the word "dog", but this was no accident...it was calculated.

Posted by: Howard | Jul 31, 2013 2:44:40 PM

7. He's like a bug light for liberals. Called out by Ricky Martin? Oh my...just being called by Ricky Martin would be exciting.

Posted by: Jake | Jul 31, 2013 2:45:00 PM

8. @Howard: You just don't get it (and probably never will). He's making a huge distinction between legal and illegal immigration.

For some reason, a large # of Americans find no problem with the fact that 13 million people came here ILLEGALLY.

What a smack in the face to all the law-abiding people who did the right thing and waiting in line for their turn.

Illegal immigrants? They all said "Screw you, gringos. I'm hopping the fence. Suckas."

I'm not sure why so many gays have no backbone. The law is the law. We DEMAND laws to give us equality, and rightfully so. But when it comes to other laws, like immigration, we say "Oh, whatever. Who cares about that. I'm going to not care. Now, back to jerking off to photos of Nancy Pelosi."

Posted by: sean | Jul 31, 2013 3:33:05 PM

9. Blocked in my country by YouTube, at univision's request, on "copyright grounds".

What artistic creativity is this copyright law protecting again?

Nobody should get to own the news. End copyright.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 31, 2013 6:35:37 PM

10. Please, Sean, stop with the nutty defense of anti-gay zealot Steve King. The dog comment was the least of it. He's also said that most immigrants who came to the US as children are running drugs over the border. He's a wacko fountain of bigotry and misinformation. Even Republicans distance themselves from him.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 31, 2013 6:43:47 PM

11. Wanna know how you qualified to be a legal citizen of the US all the way up to the 1920's? By arriving here, not being a known criminal, and not having an untreatable communicable disease or some physical problem that would make it likely that you would end up as a "public charge." You didn't have to be literate until 1917. Oh, and you couldn't be an indentured servant.

Posted by: emjayay | Aug 1, 2013 3:11:44 AM