Writers Announced For 'Magic Mike' Musical Adaptation

6a00d8341c730253ef01761515468f970c-800wi
Deadline Hollywood has the details:

The creative team is in place to turn the hit stripper film into Magic Mike, The Musical on Broadway. The producers have set Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey to write the songs, and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa to write the book, based on the Steven Soderbergh-directed film that was informed by Channing Tatum‘s early days as a male stripper. They’ve gotten top-shelf talent.

Kitt and Yorkey are the creators of the Tony- and Pulitzer-winning Next To Normal, and the upcoming If/Then, starring Idina Menzel. Aguirre-Sacasa recently co-wrote the book for Spider Man: Turn Off The Dark and helped turn things around when there was nothing but bad news on that musical and performers were dropping like flies from the complicated rigging. Aguirre-Sacasa also has written the book of the upcoming American Psycho Musical that Duncan Sheik that will premiere in London later this year.

Magic Mike, The Musical is being produced by Soderbergh, Tatum, Reid Carolin, Gregory Jacobs, and Nick Wechsler. The show was put together by WME. The group is fast tracking the project to the stage while also prepping starting the ball rolling on a sequel to the 2012 Magic Mike film.

No word on a release date for the sequel to the film, which Tatum has said will be "bigger" than the first film, and which he might direct himself.

Comments

1. IT BURRRRNS!

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhousen | Jul 21, 2013 3:51:04 PM

2. I don't get why a movie about straight male strippers who work for a female audience is suddenly of interest to gay men.

Posted by: Lucrece | Jul 21, 2013 4:03:00 PM

3. @Lucere, look at the pic, it's the cast.
    About musical, why?

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 21, 2013 4:06:15 PM

4. @ Lucrece - Buy the DVD and watch it with the sound turned off, then you'll get it. If you listen to the DVD, you may feel like tearing your ears off.

Posted by: Mike in the tundra | Jul 21, 2013 4:18:03 PM

5. We've already had a Broadway musical about straight male strippers. It was called "The Full Monty." That was more than enough.

Posted by: keating | Jul 21, 2013 5:30:48 PM

6. @KEATING

Thank you!

Talk about a dearth of quality ideas on Broadway...

Posted by: Jerry | Jul 21, 2013 5:42:55 PM

7. I'm smelling closing faster than Carrie the Musical.

Would not want to have my money on the line on this one.

The movie was awful.

Posted by: bendskier | Jul 21, 2013 6:23:27 PM

8. The movie Magic Mike wasn't exactly gay-inclusive. Why is Towleroad promoting it so much?

Posted by: Adam | Jul 21, 2013 6:29:19 PM

9. The movie was awful. B'way should have higher aspirations.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Jul 21, 2013 7:26:11 PM

10. When I first read that Duncan Sheik wanted to musicalize "American Psycho" (a story about a brutal murderer written by a very unpleasant gay man), I was appalled. I'm still appalled. Why on earth would he be attracted to anti-social subject matter like that? I have to presume he isn't close to any survivors of homocide.

The "Magic Mike" musical, by contrast, doesn't sound offensive, but it doesn't sound like a great idea, either. It's weird that Kitt and Yorkey would take on *that* after the groundbreaking, very meaningful "Next to Normal." Don't expect another Pulitzer for this one, boys. It's like Sondheim agreeing to write the music and lyrics to "Snooki: The Musical."

Posted by: KLJ | Jul 21, 2013 9:53:34 PM

11. After we saw the movie, I described it to a friend as "refreshingly plot free."

I fail to see what plot there was that could be adapted into a musical. On the plus side, that pretty much gives the playwright free rein.

Given that to even have a chance on Broadway, this will have to have men who can actually dance in the roles, and they won't be cutting away in the middle of the reason people actually went to the show, it may actually be far better than the movie it's based on.

Oh, for someone with the talent of a Fosse to stage it.

Posted by: Lymis | Jul 21, 2013 9:58:04 PM

12. Having seen the movie, I was really surprised, not only at the lack of plot, but also at the lack of characterization in it. These writers will likely be taking the premise of the film and the title only and crafting their own story. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a brand new thing, from the top down.

Posted by: Jere | Jul 22, 2013 9:44:42 AM

13. I loved Magic Mike. I loved Next to Normal. I think this could be totes awesome.

KLJ . . . I presume you would have issues with Showboat, Porgy & Bess, West Side Story, Fiddler on the Roof, Cabaret, Sweeney Todd, Les Miserables, and Next to Normal? All award winning musicals that deal with heavy subject matter. If anything there has been a lack of new works for the music theater that continues to advance the form.

Posted by: Ale-Alejandro | Jul 22, 2013 10:53:02 AM

14. Ale-Alejandro: I hope you will re-read my comment -- in which I praised "Next to Normal." I am fine with "heavy subject matter," obviously. It's "anti-social" that I don't like. Are you familiar with Bret Easton Ellis? His work doesn't make the world a better place. It lacks empathy. "West Side Story" it ain't.

Posted by: KLJ | Jul 22, 2013 11:32:23 AM

15. I think this musical has much promise given the talent putting it together. I can't quite see the musical playing as well if they keep a lot of the darker themes that worked so well in the film. I think in order to make it work they'll need to focus more on the romance and the "aspiring for more" aspect and less on the drugs and dark side of the stripper world. Yes, you can hint at it, but I think audiences simply want razzle-dazzle and skin. That's how even the film was promoted, although it turned out to be a much darker film -- which, in my opinion, worked. I thought the film was fantastic and extremely well-directed. I'm quite optimistic and really looking forward to seeing this as a musical. I hope they pull it off -- literally!

Posted by: Marc | Jul 23, 2013 1:54:07 AM