News: Charlie Crist, Lance Bass, New York Rents, Tony Kushner

Road

Signorile looks ahead to political gay bashing in 2016.

RoadIn three short years, gay troops have gone from "mum" to "married".

BentleyRoadSinging the lesbian blues in 1920's Harlem: "The good news for women-loving chanteuses like Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Gladys Bentley is that blues music in the 1920s was so far under the radar of mainstream America, female blues singers could get away with occasionally expressing their unconventional desires. That said, they all felt obligated to produce song after song about loving and losing men."

RoadVIDEO: The mug-saving motorcyclist.

RoadPlaywright Tony Kushner to receive National Medal of Arts from President Obama "for his contributions to American theater and film. Whether for the stage or the silver screen, his scripts have moved audiences worldwide, marrying humor to fury, history to fantasy, and the philosophical to the personal."

RoadWilliam Orbit says the new Britney Spears album he is producing is "to die for" and there is no auto-tune.

RoadVIDEO: Elisabeth Hasselbeck's farewell speech from The View.

BassRoadLance Bass is searching for a home for a one-eyed puppy.

RoadElton John speaks out about appendicitis:  “I’m lucky to be alive. I was a ticking time bomb. I guess I could have died at any time.”

RoadChristine Quinn nabs major Labor endorsement.

RoadCharlie Crist writing tell-all book...about leaving the Republican party: "I have now seen both these parties at the highest levels from the inside," Crist said in a press release. "In the book, I'll share my very strong feelings about what's happened to the Republicans, how the party I grew up in has been hijacked by extremists, losing its compassion and common sense. I'll describe exactly what I saw and what it made me realize. I have been a Democrat for seven months now. I have found a wonderful new home."

RoadColorado courts: seven divorce cases since civil union law took effect in May.

RoadBeyoncé is nude and covered in glitter on the cover of Flaunt magazine.

RoadDr. Gwyneth Paltrow says tanning is totally safe.

MillerRoadEzra Miller for Another Man magazine.

RoadCharlie Hunnam and Idris Elba making the rounds for Pacific Rim.

RoadGay couple's Green Card victory energizes same-sex marriage supporters: "Vanessa Brito is chairperson of Miami-based Equal Marriage Florida. The group started a petition drive to get a marriage equality amendment on the 2014 state ballot. Brito says the Supreme Court's decision provides the momentum needed to overturn Florida's gay-marriage ban."

RoadKissing same-sex friends is now trending in Japanese high schools.

RoadNew York rents are the highest in the U.S.: "Average rents for the city's four largest boroughs - Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx - rose 1 percent to $3,017.19 a month, the first time the average rent topped $3,000 since Reis began collecting data in 1980."

Comments

1. What's the MEDIAN rent in New York? With luxury apartments pulling the average up, that's a more useful number.

Posted by: jimstoic | Jul 10, 2013 3:58:44 PM

2. In that photo, Lance Bass looks like Catfish start Yaniv Schulman.

Posted by: jimstoic | Jul 10, 2013 4:00:09 PM

3. I look forward to Charlie Crists' book. Maybe he will come out once and for all.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 10, 2013 4:05:50 PM

4. Not even William Orbit could get me interested in a Britney Spears album.

Talk about slumming it. He must need a down payment on a new mansion.

Posted by: ripper | Jul 10, 2013 4:15:41 PM

5. I hope Charlie Christ doesn't come out. Everyone knows gay men side with the effeminate liberal agenda once them formally come out. I prefer the quiet dignity of keeping ones sexuality to himself. A real man doesn't need to announce his sexuality.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 10, 2013 4:17:08 PM

6. Take my late father, for example. He never announced his sexuality. He would merely fist me.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 10, 2013 4:25:03 PM

7. I thought you could only get divorced i

Posted by: rick scatorum | Jul 10, 2013 4:26:25 PM

8. F you were actually married

Posted by: rick scatorum | Jul 10, 2013 4:27:03 PM

9. I thought you could only get divorcedvi

Posted by: rick scatorum | Jul 10, 2013 4:28:23 PM

10. Men who are comfortable in their own bodies don't have to announce their sexuality since they are REAL MEN whatever their sexuality(straight,gay or bi).

Posted by: SFshawn | Jul 10, 2013 4:29:46 PM

11. Real men do what I do - tell everyone how masculine they are on a website.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 10, 2013 4:30:57 PM

12. the lady paltrow is often insufferable and she really put it poorly here, but i generally agree with her that more sun, with more cancer-fighting vitamin d, and the mood altering effects are more beneficial than harmful. I've long suspected that our sun phobia is unwarranted and that eventually the common wisdom will flip like with many matters of health.

I say this as a lifelong sun worshipper and non-doctor

Posted by: gomez | Jul 10, 2013 4:56:44 PM

13. Lol rick, there is nothing dignified about being in the closet.

just look how dignified our "Out" little kiwi is with his juvenile troll posting

Posted by: gomez | Jul 10, 2013 5:02:59 PM

14. I digging a ditch

Posted by: gomez | Jul 10, 2013 5:06:02 PM

15. I don't even know what that means, little child. must be a zinger, tho

Posted by: gomez | Jul 10, 2013 5:10:38 PM

16. Gomez, you already gave yourself away as little kiwi when you denounced the closet. You little Canadian twerp, we know who you really are. An actual member of the gay Hispanic community would know better than to advocate for a liberal agenda such as being overt in their homosexuality. Being a big mincing queen is nothing to be proud of. Go back to your liberal haven to the north.

Posted by: Jason | Jul 10, 2013 5:20:18 PM

17. Jason, I'm not Little Kiwi. I would never be such a wimpy fag in public.

Posted by: gomez | Jul 10, 2013 5:26:03 PM

18. Mm imposter troll posting mysteries abound. who dun what?

now i get the racist ditch-digging slam from what i suppose is little child.

my moniker doesn't have to do with my ethnicity. I was listening to the band gomez at the time. now you know, little child

Posted by: gomez | Jul 10, 2013 5:29:47 PM

19. Ill say it out loud. New York isnt worth it. In 90s when it was a super exciting city you didnt care how much you paid to live here...because it was worth it. The experience of living in NY now is like living in any other big American City. Its basically Chicago, Boston etc. New York is not worth it kids.

Posted by: mike | Jul 10, 2013 6:08:23 PM

20. I never use "fag", even out of spite. interesting how some juvenile little child imposter would stoop that low. clowns abound in this piece. must make tedious comment browsing for the lurkers.

Posted by: gomez | Jul 10, 2013 6:12:42 PM

21. I totally agree with the post above saying even William Orbit cannot make a Britney Spears album worth listening to. Next.

Posted by: leprechaunvict | Jul 11, 2013 3:04:29 AM