NHL Star Tyler Seguin Under Fire for Homophobic Tweet He Blames on ‘Hackers’

Seguin

Tyler Seguin, a former Boston Bruins player who was acquired last week by the Dallas Stars, is under fire for a tweet he sent out on Saturday night that he blamed on hackers.

Tweet_seguinSeguin's tweet, since deleted, read: "Only steers and queers in Texas, and I'm not a cow."

The Dallas Stars reacted immediately, distancing themselves from Seguin's tweet:

“In no way, shape or form does the Dallas Stars organization condone or agree with the message that was sent out through Tyler Seguin’s Twitter feed last night. We’ve addressed the issue directly with Tyler and we’ll continue to work on educating our players regarding the importance of their conduct on all forms of social media.”

Seguin later announced he's taking a break from Twitter, but blamed the statement on "hackers":

After repeated attempts by "hackers" to try to damage my reputation I have decided to shut down my twitter account for a while.—
Tyler Seguin (@tylerseguin92) July 07, 2013

SI.com says it isn't the first time Seguin has made a similar mistake: "Earlier this year, he added 'no homo' to a description of his reaction after listening to a song written by his roommate. He later apologized for using that phrase."

Comments

1. Mike in the tundra says

@ Jason – Many consider it to be a political term. It really depends on who is using the term and how they are using it.

It’s sort of like the phrase “Mama’s basement dweller.” Jason, you really need to get out of the basement and get some. The question is who would be stupid enough to give it up to you.

2. says

Why do so many people not understand the concept of “freedom of speech?” While you are free to express your opinions, you are not absolved from suffering the consequences of said opinions… especially if they are aired in a public forum.

3. jamal49 says

Jason, honey, the only person who can call this gay New Yorker a queer is another queer, not some 2nd rate NHL has-been player. Oh, by the way, kiss my queer @$$.

4. NullNaught says

@Mike in the tundra; No, you are wrong. The “Q” word is a hateful slur when used to refer to gay people, no matter who is using it. You do not take back language by inviting everyone to use it, dumb a$$. You take back language by removing it from the common lexicon. The generation of gay people who have invited straight people to use it have not taken back the language; they have instead humiliated themselves and the entire community.

5. Jonathan says

It is likely that he put “hackers” in quotes because one of his buddies grabbed his phone while he wasn’t looking and posted the tweet. This is at least the second time a tweet has shown up on his feed that could be interpreted as him coming out (as for not knowing cows and steers aren’t the same thing, you really think some kid growing up in suburban Toronto would likely know the difference?). Wil Wheaton’s twitter feed is often invaded by his son Ryan. It happens. However, if I had millions on the line, I’d be dumping any friends who can’t keep their hands off my phone.

6. Robert says

I’m in the same boat as many other guys. Doesn’t that quote mean he’s queer? I know that wasn’t his intention, so I’m extra confused.

7. Mike in the tundra says

@ NullNaught – no one has invited straight people to use the word, but we are free to use the word with one another. I prefer it over the alphabet soup of LGBTQIA. The bottom line is you can tell straight people not to use the word queer, but it might be wise not to tell other gay people not to use it. We’re not trying to take back the language. We’re giving a new definition to it.

8. Jeff says

Is anyone here (or on his new team) actually reading what was posted? “Only steers and queers in Texas, and I’m not a cow” is basically him saying “I’m a queer”.

Now, why in God’s name would someone who made a previously anti-gay comment, who’s now heading to Texas, suddenly say “I’m queer” and that there are queers in Texas… unless he actually was hacked? Maybe by a Boston Bruins fan upset that he’s leaving, or someone upset by his earlier anti-gay comment?

The response by his team, the skeptical headline to this post, and the comments here that don’t seem to process what he said all show that if we see red when we read an anti-gay word and blindly condemn it, we’re just creating a circular firing squad.

9. NullNaught says

@Mike in the tundra; When anyone identifies any gay person as a Q***r, they are identifying all gays as such. No gay person has the right to slander other gay people by using that derogatory term in public. It may be unwise for me to tell other gay people not to use it, but it is spiteful and disrespectful to use a term that is offensive to a large segment of the gay community. It is a highly divisive term that should never be used publicly by anyone.

10. James in Hollywood says

I don’t understand his post at all. “Only steers and queers…” and “I am not a cow.” A cow is not a steer. But if he means to lump steers under the umbrella term “cow,” then is he implying that he is a queer? And I can see I’ve already given his tweet way more thought that he ever did. And I think he likely did tweet it and soon realized what an unattractive thing that was to say and concocted the cockamamie hacker defense. Oh well, dummy, now you know what not to tweet.

11. rob says

The lead to this story says NFL, and he’s a Hockey player.

I actually think the hack story makes sense. Why would he call himself gay if he was a homophobe?

Also, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF where do they grow men like this?

12. Zach says

To those asking if the quote makes him a queer, not necessarily. Generally a “cow” is a female, a “steer” is a castrated male, a “heifer” is a female that is on her first calf or hasn’t had a calf, a “bull” has both his balls, and a “stag” has one ball.

Given that a steer has had his balls cut off, i’d personally much rather be a queer.

13. Bob R says

Unless I don’t understand the English language anymore, this tweet has Seguin stating that he is queer.

I don’t know what Universe that’s considered homophobic, unless I was also being homophobic when I came out to my parents.

14. Glen says

meh if it was a joke it was a bad one since he outs himself….people can call me queer I don’t care. I don’t find it offensive. More of us use Faggot than they do..kind of like the N word.

15. northalabama says

does anyone really believe “hackers” are rummaging around people’s twitter accounts and sending out random tweets? what a twit.

16. andrew says

“We’re here, we’re queer, get use to it” is a common chant at gay rallies. We have a Queer Writers Club at our local LGBT Center. No big deal. Some older gay folks who are still offended by the word Queer should get over it. The year is 2013. The world has changed. Put down your old baggage!

17. Chevytexas says

Don’t worry, we’ll be in the visible high dollsr Stars seats at his first game with s sign”Cow”. Lots of mooing when ge’s introduced. Sam Adams in his mug.

18. says

@Steerpike – Yes. Technically he is only quoting from (a rather famous) quote from Full Metal Jacket. It’s a reference we as Texans have gotten used to. Gay people on the other hand… might need a little more time. LOL.

19. NE1 says

eh he made the tweet, but maybe he didn’t mean for it to be offensive, sometimes people don’t think. it would be better if he just apologized, instead he lied.

20. Daniel Berry, NYC says

Jason, you’ve repeatedly proven by your postings that you’re a know-nothing.

University gay studies departments began changing their name to “Queer Studies” more than 20 years ago. If you don’t believe me, refer to any such catalogue–including the Ivy League.

You think you’re a smart guy, but every time you post here you prove otherwise.

21. Charlie says

I agree with Jonathon. I am pretty sure he wasn’t coming out and I am also pretty sure his friends were screwing with him and not considering the consequences. I have had several friends “come out” on facebook…and by that I mean someone has outed them on their open account as a homophobic not so funny joke…