Comments

1. says

Apparently this happened too, from his Twitter account: “True fact: @RT_com just called taxi company that took me to studio to drop me off on the side of the highway on way to Stockholm airport.”

2. northalabama says

if this happens again, they’ll restrict their panels to shills who only regurgitate rt’s opinions, just like faux news. we set a new bar for that type of television “journalism” in this country.

kudos to james, he obviously made an impression, since they followed up with a phone call to the cab company. i hope he made it safely to the airport and didn’t miss his flight.

3. Mike Ryan says

I got out of my chair and applauded the guy. EVERY gay person in America and throughout the world should be so vocal about the oppression and discrimination of gay people in Russia as well as anywhere else in the world. BOYCOTT everything Russia. Don’t buy from or visit on vacation or business. Buy no Russian goods. Buy no services or goods from those American advertisers who support and contribute to Russia’s discriminatory policies (NBC, Proctor and Gamble, McDonalds, CocaCola, Dow Chemical, AT&T, BMW, SAMSUNG, etc.). Don’t believe these advertisers claims that there is little they can do – they can pull their business OUT OF RUSSIA and OUT OF THE OLYMPICS. Boycott the Olympics.

4. Francis #1 says

Strength in action. Rock on, Mr. Kirchick. The other panelists and the host tried talking over him almost the entire time, but he got his point across and he took a stand. Bravo! This is how we make a dent and make it clear we will not stand for discrimination.

5. GaYalie says

Props to him! From what I know of him, he’s pretty right-wing on a lot of issues, but I must say I admire the fact that he would voluntarily raise an uncomfortable issue in a hostile setting like that. His words may not have been the most eloquent, but certainly it speaks well of him that he would take a stand and speak up for the gays in Russia. Kudos, Jamie, and keep it up.

6. Andy says

Okay, but he chooses to ignore one type of violence (state-sponsored treatment of Manning which the UN called “cruel and inhumane”) in order to rail against Russia’s anti-gay laws. While, of course, those laws are draconian, I’m interested in what it means to sidestep one type of state violence for another. Is that heroic? Dunno.

7. Jason says

I don’t think he was cut off. I’m surprised they didn’t cut his mic. Far from cutting him off, they continued to speak to him until they had to move on. That said, good for him for sticking up. It would have been awesome if he mentioned Manning’s homosexuality and asked whether he would have been granted asylum in Russia as Snowden was. Then he could have kept it tied into the Manning angle and talked even longer.

8. Ninong says

He was in Sweden, not Russia, so he’s safe. RT called the taxi company to tell them that they would not pay for his ride back to the Stockholm airport but, not to worry, the driver told him he would take him for free! So he wasn’t dropped off on the side of the highway.

Little Vlad must have been really, really upset when he heard about this. LOL

9. Silly says

Headline of this story is very misleading. Reporter wasn’t cut-off at all. He went on for close to 2 minutes. As a news producer I would have been franking out.