Comments

1. Drew says

Never get out of your car when it stalled in the freeway, never. Call 911, wait for police, they will call a tow truck for you. I saw someone being ran over when he exited his car to check on the driver of the car he crashed into.

This is so sad.

2. JerzeeMike says

That’s very sound advice, Drew. I know my jaw hit the floor when I read about the accident on Darren’s Facebook page. My condolences to his family & his husband, Javier.

3. Pookie says

Good advice, Kevin, I hope it saves some lives.

I feel like my day is just shot now. I’m going for a walk.

Sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

4. Matteo says

I can’t understand life at times when a man fights overseas in a “dangerous place” twice and survives and comes home to a peaceful “domestic” life and dies in a tragic accident near his home.
    Sometimes things like this simply make no sense.
    May the family find peace. Very sad.

5. kayla says

Love you Darren…I will always cherish the moments we shared in Texas…You are such a Beautiful man with the kindest heart…I hope you family, friends and Husband find peace during this difficult time…LOVE YOU…xoxo Kayla

6. Jeff in NC says

Very sad news!

One can only wonder how another driver could possibly miss seeing an accident directly in front of them and a man pushing one of the cars involved. Most likely talking on or looking at their phone.

7. jamal49 says

This is about as sad as it can get. What a tragic loss!! Thank you, Darren for your service to our nation and to the LGBTQ Community. Condolences to Darren’s husband, their families and friends.

@Drew: the best advice ever. Thank you.

8. I wont grow up says

Rest in Peace brave soldier.
    A terrible loss for his partner, the wonderful parents who raised a true hero and all of us who benefitted from his bravery on the field of battle and through his work against DADT.

9. woody says

Darren’s funeral will be at St. Dominic/St. Patrick in Brocton, NY.
    To my knowledge this is the first time a funeral mass will be held for a gay catholic married to another man.
    I was researching this because it would have been the end of the catholic church for me if the bishop of buffalo refused to allow the funeral. But it’s happening.
    A first, I think.
    RIP

10. Moony says

I am absolutely devastated. This man was my personal hero. I remember watching his interview over and over, and I remember how everything about him gave me the strength to continue to work hard to get out of my little Texas town and realize my dreams in the medical field. I don’t even know what to say

11. GreatLakeSailor says

This is so very sad.
    It’s hard to know what takes more courage – a medic in a war zone or standing against prevailing injustices.

I’d be happy to be half the man he was.