Macklemore | Montréal | Music | Tegan and Sara

Tegan and Sara Join Macklemore for 'Same Love' Performance at Osheaga Music Fest: VIDEO

Tegan_sara_macklemore

Lesbian pop duo Tegan and Sara joined Macklemore & Ryan Lewis at the Osheaga Music Festival in Montreal on Saturday for a performance of his equality anthem "Same Love".

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. O.
    M.
    G.

I would have LOVED to have seen this live!!!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Aug 4, 2013 4:46:12 PM

2. I hate that audience for getting to experience this! so amazing.

Posted by: Alejandro | Aug 4, 2013 5:01:53 PM

3. Incredible! powerful! phenomenal energy too.

Posted by: C.J | Aug 4, 2013 5:02:18 PM

4. This song STILL has an emotional effect every time I listen to it. Every damn time I get that magnetic feeling in my heart & soul. Beautiful.

Posted by: J. Stevenson | Aug 4, 2013 5:39:19 PM

5. Same Love was #2 highest voted song on our radio stations Top 9 at 9 last night. Which you may not think is a big deal, but I live in the deep south! I was amazed.

Posted by: Willie | Aug 4, 2013 5:40:45 PM

6. Very cool.

Posted by: Truth! | Aug 4, 2013 5:53:13 PM

7. When is Macklemore or Ryan Lewis going to come out of the closet? I am sick of this double standard in the music industry which allows for openly gay women but not openly gay men.

Also, gay men need to stop hiding behind lesbians' skirts. Show some guts, guys. Stand up to the music industry and its homophobic double standard.

Posted by: Adam | Aug 4, 2013 6:01:41 PM

8. I have a feeling I'm taking troll/troublemaker bait, but, Adam, in case you are not being disingenuous, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis have in fact come out of the closet. As straight.

Posted by: taxpayer | Aug 4, 2013 6:27:06 PM

9. I tear up every time I hear this song! Thanks to the beautiful artists who move mountains by moving people's hearts!

Posted by: Jim | Aug 4, 2013 7:34:31 PM

10. I wish I were his uncle. I'd be so proud I'd never stop crying.

Posted by: David | Aug 4, 2013 7:49:58 PM

11. ADAM...is a fool.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 4, 2013 8:07:34 PM

12. This is amazing! We are changing the world. Every time a sold-out crowd hears this song, we are spreading the message of equality. We are getting people who might not otherwise think about LGBT rights to take a moment and reflect. And if there is anyone in that crowd who is opposed to equality or sees being LGBT as somehow "less than", I can't imagine they would feel they have a support system in declaring it. It's funny how society shifts on issues. Years ago a crowd this size would be a warm and cozy place for homophobia. No longer is that true. Today if you are a homophobe YOU are the outcast -- at least in mostly civilized parts of the world.
    The times they are a changin'....

Posted by: Marc | Aug 4, 2013 8:12:45 PM

13. Prophet!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 4, 2013 8:24:09 PM

14. I don't believe that Macklemore or Ryan Lewis are straight. I think they're straight-for-marketing-reasons. Think of it as straight-for-pay.

Posted by: Adam | Aug 4, 2013 9:29:21 PM

15. Adam, if you could offer up any proof to support your theory it would help. Otherwise you're trolling -- and trolling without wit.

Posted by: will | Aug 4, 2013 10:00:40 PM

16. You do sound kinda desperate and delusional, Adam.

Posted by: David | Aug 4, 2013 10:37:00 PM

17. This trio should be in the opening ceremonies for the Sochi Games.

Posted by: Rich705 | Aug 4, 2013 10:52:31 PM

18. Tegan and Sara have been making smart pop music for over a decade, I can't praise them enough.

Posted by: Thomas | Aug 4, 2013 11:55:17 PM

19. Same Love I know has affected and changed some people's minds, but I think that most of Macklemore's fanbase would be pretty much gay friendly to begin with. Macklemore's fanbase is young, diverse, tends to be full of both mainstream and more "alternative" types, much different than the fanbase many rappers have. The song, for me, I think, made the issue of LGBT rights more real to them and gave them a real insight into why it's important to fight for LGBT rights more than anything.

With that being said, it's awesome to see the great crowd response, singing Same Love, singing a gay rights anthem, proudly. Singing along with an out lesbian duo in Tegan and Sara. These kids singing this song and cheering are the future.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 5, 2013 12:08:02 AM

20. Wow, that's beautiful.

Posted by: Gregoire | Aug 5, 2013 12:10:06 AM

21. I was there! There are no words... and during our Gay festival Diverscité! Perfect alignment of stars.

Posted by: Michel | Aug 5, 2013 12:19:37 AM

22. Same Love hasn't gotten as high as Macklemore's other singles. It didn't reach top 10 on Billboard Top 100 or top 5 on Itunes which compared to Macklemore's other singles, is a lesser performance. By comparison, for example, Thrift Shop sold 6.2 million records and was #1 on Billboard for over a month. Can't Hold Us has sold approaching 3.5 million records and was #1 for over a month as well. Same Love has gotten a lot of radio play but not as much on television as Can't Hold Us and Thrift Shop.

No, I'm not taking away from the significance of the song. In fact, the opposite. It makes me appreciate Macklemore even more, because I wonder if Same Love would have received the same national attention, had it been a gay artist singing it or someone less popular and established as Macklemore was when he dropped Same Love. I don't think so, so we really should all support him for what he did and standing up for us and for equality.

Posted by: Francis #1 | Aug 5, 2013 12:21:08 AM

23. @Francis. Technically you are wrong. It has cracked the top 10 of the Hot 100 as well as other "charts" (Billboard has way too many of them)

It is also in regular rotation on radio stations here in NYC.

Posted by: QJ201 | Aug 5, 2013 7:22:01 AM

24. Francis, Same Love is currently the 9th ranked song on the Mediabase pop chart, and the rhythmic chart. It's #8 on the Billboard chart that measures radio play across all formats. It is #6 on the Billboard radio pop chart. I can go on listing the song's accomplishments, but I doubt that it will matter. I'll also add that the song has not peaked on any of these charts.

This is impressive, especially in the middle of summer, when more dance and light songs tend to dominate the charts. The duos second song was a more radio friendly than Same Love, so I would expect it to chart higher, but Same Love breaking into the top ten on so many formats is amazing.

Posted by: Cadence | Aug 5, 2013 9:11:05 AM

25. Just one correction, I meant to say that the song is currently ranked 10th on the Billboard Pop chart. That's up from number 14 last week, and this is just its 8th week on the chart.

Posted by: Cadence | Aug 5, 2013 9:12:53 AM