Comments

1. GMB says

I am SO GLAD you posted this. I started sending this clip to all my friends the other day because I couldn’t get over how intelligent and thought-provoking it was. I know that many gay men read this blog, and a LOT of my gay male friends are truly baffled when trying to talk about transgender issues. It goes far beyond knowing which words to use or how to avoid offending someone; they just haven’t done a lot of thinking about how sexuality, gender identity and sexual orientation are like three different colors of a Rubix cube that can mix and interact to create any number of different multicolored sides to a person. I adore Laverne Cox; she is going to be a major figure in the annals of LGBT American history!

2. ratbastard says

Is he homosexual? Bisexual? Like guys? Like girls? Or is he just into having sex with chicks with dicks? He likes dudes who dress up and act like girls?

The hyper and pretentious masculinity that revolves around rap and gangsta [ghetto] mentality [I’m not referencing specifically hip-hop, but it too is basically a slightly kinder, gentler crossover from rap] hides a lot of insecurity and impotent rage. Looking and acting “hard”, dressing like a gay for pay hustler, who can’t see through it?

There’s plenty of gay dudes involved in the rap and hip hop ‘industry’, at every level. I just find it funny a guy like this dude has been given a pass for so long, even when he’s so obvious.

3. Rowan says

Derrick, was there ever a conversation like this for black gay men??? Esp post Frank Ocean?? All I saw was stupid blog posts or poor articles from the Advocate etc who barely researched ANY of his music nor what he is actually about.

Or has their been an open dialogue about gays in Hollywood??

I hope this opens the door for more like this!

4. Derrick from Philly says

@Rowan,

I guess there have been conversations on a smaller level. You know, local television/radio.

But there are hopeful signs. Remember Rod McCollum is now a regular writer for Ebony magazine. He often covers topics dealing with Black LGBT folks. And it helps that Don Lemon is out (I guess). So, there will be more diaglogue–Black folks have no choice because times–they are a changin’.

5. Marc says

The second video from HuffPost is BRILLIANT! My god, if only all news could be like this. Can this interview get some sort of award or recognition? Seriously. THIS is what we as a culture NEED from our news. This is a perfect example of conversations we should be having about our fellow human beings.

BRAVO!