Carl Sciortino | Massachusetts | News

Gay Congressional Candidate 'Came Out' to Tea Party Father...as a 'Proud Massachusetts Liberal' — VIDEO

Sciortino

Carl Sciortino Jr. recalls coming out to his father in a new ad, but the gay candidate isn't remembering the time he said 'I'm gay'. Sexuality isn't the issue. Instead, he's remembering when he revealed his positions on gun control, abortion rights, tax reform, pay equity, and equality for All Americans, positions which his Tea Party-aligned dad, wasn't and isn't ready to accept.

Says Sciortino, who's running to succeed Ed Markey in the MA-05 special House election:

“My father and I disagree on just about everything. I am grateful that he was willing to appear in my TV ad even though he probably thinks he should be running against me.”

Responds, Carl Sr.:

“My son is a Massachusetts Liberal and, what’s worse, he’s proud of it. But I love him anyway.”

Sciortino has been a four-term state representative and has taken strong and early positions against the use of military force in Syrian and has passed landmark legislation establishing a 35-foot buffer zone at abortion clinics to protect women from harassment. His ad is set to run throughout the district on Wednesday.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_sciortino

Comments

1. Wonderful! Effin' wonderful!

Posted by: K in VA | Sep 17, 2013 8:33:56 AM

2. Isn't that the funniest thing about love! My sister is a homophobic idiot but my love remains. Still I really can't stand to have her around, which in itself I'm not too happy about. What is the best answer/attitude? Endure until something changes is the best I can come up with.

Posted by: UFFDA | Sep 17, 2013 8:37:58 AM

3. This is something I actually heard from a great number of the gay friends I made when I first moved to the USA: that coming out as a "liberal" was more of an uphill battle than coming out as GAY.

basically, because by coming out as liberal the family knew it wasn't going to be some "nice, quiet, only those in the know will know you're gay" sorta thing. no line toeing. no doormat impressions. defiance. and on top of that, coming out as liberals in families that didn't actually understand WHY they didn't like liberals; other than "we don;t like liberals here", as if that's a reason.

good for this dude. relief that TeaBagger Nation doesn't necessarily pass on The Stupids to the next generation.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Sep 17, 2013 9:07:54 AM

4. When you have little to say, you refer to someone as a teabagger. Nice.

Posted by: Travis | Sep 17, 2013 9:32:54 AM

5. Uffda, I'm sorry to hear that your sis is homophobic. But the fact that you still see her and she's willing to see you seems to indicate that her love for you trumps her homophobia. I hope you can continue to be patient - she may come around in time. Most likely she will. Unless she plans to descend into civil disobedience or move to Saudi Arabia she will soon live in a world where gay marriage is legal in most places.

In the meantime feel free to consider me your honorary sister! I never had siblings and would have been thrilled to have a brother (a gay brother would have been just fine with me - even when I was anti-gay politically.)

Posted by: Mary | Sep 17, 2013 9:49:52 AM

6. Great to see respect trumping politics, familial pride trumping personal differences - and all done with good humor. If only congress could operate with such qualities.

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 17, 2013 10:27:19 AM

7. When I broght my first lover back to my parents home in the late 1950's,my brother asked me who is the fagot in the living room... that was 60 years ago. My brother has come around slowly but surely and has been my best friend for over 50 years. He supports gay rights,marriage rights and equality and is very proud of his little brother. Recently, I was inducted into the National Gay Sports hall of Fame... and was on hand with his family.

I think of so many young gay men who came down with AIDS,and their families disowned them and cheated their lovers from sharing in their estates. I think of one of my friends,Guy Corry who was a great photographer who documented the early gay rights movement,and when he died from AIDS,his family was so ashamed that he died from a gay illiness(1980s) that they burnt all his slides and negatives.

I find this story very interesting because Mr. Sciortino and his son disagree on many levels,but they respect each other's right to disagree on politics without forsaking their love for each other.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin the bleacher Preacher | Sep 17, 2013 11:42:11 AM

8. Travis: "Teabagger" is the term the Teabaggers came up with to describe themselves. That they didn't realize what they were doing at the time is nobody's fault but their own.

Posted by: Rrhain | Sep 17, 2013 3:34:43 PM

9. Pretty clever and witty. Glad to see they have a good relationship.

Posted by: jsb | Sep 17, 2013 4:54:59 PM

10. This makes me smile. Glad to see love trumping differences.

Posted by: Marc | Sep 18, 2013 3:32:37 AM