Services Set for Army Sergeant Darren Manzella

Former Army Sergeant Darren Manzella, who died tragically in a car accident on Thursday night, will receive full military honors at his funeral Tuesday. Visiting hours and services have been set for Monday, the Democrat and Chronicle reports:

ManzellaVisiting hours and funeral services have been scheduled for Darren Manzella, a former U.S. Army sergeant who fought against the military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.

The family will welcome visitors from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Monday at the Morse Funeral Home, 51 Highland Ave. Brocton, Chautauqua County.

Funeral services will begin at 11 am. Tuesday at St. Dominic's Roman Catholic Church, 12 Central Ave., in Brocton, Chautauqua County. Burial will take place at Portland Evergreen Cemetery.

Full military honors will be provided by the U.S. Army National Guard in conjunction with the local American Legion post.

Comments

1. woody says

Darren’s funeral mass is the first for a high-profile catholic married to another man. They’d better treat his husband respectfully. If the bishop of buffalo had disallowed this church funeral, that would have been the last straw for catholicism with me.

2. aj says

From the Funeral Notice i read, it indicated a Deacon would lead the funeral service, by that indication alone it means NO FUNERAL MASS. Now perhaps it’s an error OR perhaps the Church has stepped in and said “You may have a “Funeral Service” led by a Deacon BUT NO FUNERAL MASS!!!! After all, he is gay, he is SSM Married and its in a conservative diocese and part of NYS…….

This is the DIRECT QUOTE – “..Funeral services will be held on Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013, at 11 a.m. from St. Dominic’s Roman Catholic Church, 12 Central Ave., in Brocton, N.Y., where a Christian burial service will be celebrated. The Deacon Bill Boneberg will officiate.”

Here is the link to that obit –

3. EB says

I hope they have the dignity and respect to have a closet casket. It’s his funeral not his “husbands.” Please, a rest from the word games.

4. jamal49 says

It is a deacon and it is a way around the wall that effluvial church has set up in its continuing animus against LGBTQ people. The deacon, under Catholic liturgical law, can officiate, but I think AJ is right. It will not be a full Mass.

5. says

I am a retired Archbishop of the Old Catholic Church. A Deacon can NOT celebrate a funeral Mass. You must be a Priest or above. If I was closer and could get there, I’d bury this man and be honored to do so.

Pathetic Roman Catholic Church….it’s why I left them early in life as a sem and joined the OC church. We left them in 1889, Thank God!!!

6. Roger Howell says

My deepest condolences to his husband and immediate family. It is a sad day when a loved one is taken from his or her people. From some of the comments I have read people are not respecting this man as a human being and above all a military man. He put his life on the line so that people would remain free to do as they please including leaving rude comments. Also by leaving rude comments people are disrespecting his husband and the family. I wish people had better morals.