Comments

1. woodroad34d says

My mom, a good christian woman, would exclaim ‘schiesse’ and “H-E-double toothpicks”. I just thought they were sounds to express frustration or anger; I never (at that time) thought they meant anything.

2. mike/ says

my mother never swore; but very seldom, if my father was upset, she’d come out with “Don’t get your b*lls in an uproar!” i never knew where that came from. she’d go to mass every day if she didn’t have to work…

3. Dback says

My mom was the world’s biggest double-standard bearer; she could swear like a fishwife, especially in states of rage, but we kids were all forbidden to swear. As the oldest, I got the bare-butt spanking and the soap-in-the-mouth treatment; my youngest sister (by 12 years) made the mistake of flipping her off (at age 9, after my mom laughed when she fell in a creek on a hike), and got the silent treatment for 3 days.

Personally, as a teacher, I’m disturbed by the number of these kids–especially sweet-faced boys–being called “stupid.” It’s one thing to critique behavior, but if these kids are actually being called that, it’s going to leave scars. (Ask Whoopi Goldberg, who’s vented about it repeatedly.)

4. Jesrad says

When upset, my grandmother would say ‘sugar’ or ‘foot’. My mother was fond of ‘God bless America!’ Added a touch of cognitive dissonance to my childhood.

5. Mary says

The worst thing I heard my own mother say was that I cramped her style. Yes, that’s what she said. Dad was just as callous after their divorce. Both descended into parental irresponsibility so extreme that in another era they might have been arrested. Hence, I rebelled the only way appropriate – I became a socially conservative, pro-family right-winger.

6. Ian says

Worst thing? Well, she’s incredibly racist about African Americans, so there’s that. But in regards to I as her son, when I was a teen I overheard her tell someone on a phone that if she had it to do over again she would have chosen to abort me (ouch!).