ACLU | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Jesse Tyler Ferguson | News | Video

Jesse Tyler Ferguson Named Celebrity Ambassador For Marriage Equality By ACLU: VIDEO

Jesse

Jesse Tyler Ferguson, the Broadway veteran and "Modern Family" star, has been named the Celebrity Ambassador for the ACLU's Out for Freedom campaign. The campaign is aimed at promoting the adoption of marriage equality across the United States, and Ferguson's involvement in the Ambassador Project, "a new initiative that joins personalities from the worlds of film, television, music and comedy with ACLU priority issues," will help promote its values.

The press release reads:

“I worked with the ACLU and the New York Civil Liberties Union a lot when I was living in New York. I was always very invigorated by the passion and the drive and the vast knowledge they have,” Ferguson said. “I learned so much just by working with them on policy and legislation and getting in touch with lawmakers and making my voice heard. I just felt like it was so important to keep that energy spinning. Having conversations with the people making our laws is so important, so I was really inspired to continue working with them. It just seemed like a no-brainer.”

Ferguson is already making a difference. He and his husband Justin Mikita, traveled to Ferguson’s home state of New Mexico in late September to rally people around the fight for the freedom to marry. Since then, the couple’s non-profit Tie the Knot has made a grant of $10,000 to the ACLU of New Mexico to support its work on marriage for same-sex couples.

Other Ambassadors include comedian Lewis Black, musicians Cyndi Lauper, Melissa Etheridge, and Harry Belafonte, and television host W. Kamau Bell.

For more information about the Ambassador Project, head to the ACLU's website. To support Ferguson and Mikita's Tie the Knot campaign, head over here.

And check out a quick bowtie tutorial from the man himself, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Ferguson is a stereotype who harms gay people.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 29, 2013 8:18:55 PM

2. I am a troll and I harm everyone. Pay me no mind.

Posted by: Adrenan P | Oct 29, 2013 9:32:39 PM

3. "Having conversations with people making our laws . . . just seemed like a no brainer." Well that's a truism. Unfortunately Ferguson sounds like he'll fit in just fine.

Posted by: Markt | Oct 29, 2013 9:44:58 PM

4. Melissa Etheridge?! The woman who lives with women as if they are married, then when she leaves and they take her to court for palimony argues that they were never married? THAT Melissa Etheridge? I think we could find much better to be our ambassador.

Posted by: Beth | Oct 29, 2013 10:07:07 PM

5. Was an actual man not available?

Posted by: Tiger | Oct 29, 2013 10:31:19 PM

6. Him and Jim Parsons are gonna need to have a purse fight.

Posted by: Sam | Oct 29, 2013 11:45:28 PM

7. shut up you bitchy queens. what have you done to advance the cause. nothing. so shut up.

Jessie Ferguson is a great ambassador for the cause cuz he's actually doing something. he's a talented actor and the show is funny as hell. I love him.

Posted by: daniel737 | Oct 29, 2013 11:56:46 PM

8. J. Fergie is an affected, geeky bore and an embarrassment. Sorry, I don't like being negative but this guy is way overrated and unfit for any ambassadorship.

Posted by: UFFDA | Oct 30, 2013 1:37:48 AM

9. He's a perfect ambassador. (Melissa ... hmmm, not so much.)

Hey, troll, if you vary your name but are too lazy to vary your comments, you're a bad ambassador for trolling.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 30, 2013 5:13:50 AM

10. What's worse: Sycophants that support anyone famous with boring "me too" posts; or, a troll who makes a point albeit unnecessarily harsh? At least the trolls are funny sometimes. If you support this choice so strongly, then take the time to think of something insightful to say. The fact is: with a script he may be fine; without, he is not articulate, focussed or appealing.

Posted by: Markt | Oct 30, 2013 8:16:36 AM

11. Wow, WHY WOULD HE AGREE TO THAT? He is as stupid as he seems, thats sad. God and that insanely hot husband of his, please divorce your stupid husband and marry me.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 30, 2013 10:36:28 AM

12. UFFDA, YOU JUST SAID "Sorry, I don't like being negative" YOU OK?

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 30, 2013 10:37:15 AM