Books | Morrissey | News

BigGayDeal.com

Morrissey Walked Out on a First Date After the Man Ordered Meat: VIDEO

Serafinowicz

Morrissey, an outspoken vegetarian, walked out on a first date after realizing the man was a meat-eater, PETA reports, excerpting the portion of Moz's Autobiography in which he discusses it:

MorrisseyAs his food order arrives I stare intently at what appears to be a sloppy dish of dog food on his plate. … I therefore automatically stand up and walk out of the restaurant. Suddenly you come to a certain situation and you are unable to live with it, and the only protest you can make on behalf of the butchered animal is to depart the scene.

Though it wasn't a complete dealbreaker:

He obviously understood my sudden exit, and he had been curious enough to follow me home. He steps inside and he stays for two years.

Morrissey's memoir, published in the UK, has found a U.S. publisher, G.P. Putnam’s Sons, an imprint of Penguin Random House, the NYT reported today:

Several publishers were vying for the rights to release the book, which has already been reviewed in the United States after its publication as a 457-page Penguin Classic in Britain. Writing in The New York Times, Ben Ratliff said that the book, titled “Autobiography,” is “as sharp as it is tedious, both empathetic and pointlessly cruel,” adding that Morrissey, the former singer for The Smiths, is “a pop star of unusual writing talent.”

Expect the book to be available by December 1.

And the photo at the top of the post is not Morrissey, of course. It's vocal artist Peter Serafinowicz, who has posted a rather genius performance of himself singing the first page of Autobiography, to the tune of "William, It Was Really Nothing".

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Face like a cat's ass.

Posted by: The milkman | Oct 29, 2013 8:39:50 PM

2. I..I...I just don't understand this self-involved individual. He seems like everyone has to live on his planet or he won't socialize--he's very christofacist and kind of a boor. I think I tried to listen to his music awhile back and found it dilettantish and morose.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Oct 29, 2013 8:41:40 PM

3. The "face like a cat's ass" is not Morrissey himself but the (wonderful, and very handsome when not mugging) comedian Peter Serafinowicz.

I love Morrissey so much. I AM SO SHOCKED BY YOUR MEAT-EATING WAYS THAT I SHALL STORM OUT OF THIS RESTAURANT ... but I will still let you blow me once you've been sufficiently reminded of my moral superiority.

Posted by: Distingue Traces | Oct 29, 2013 8:47:08 PM

4. lol! sounds like a complete jerk.

Posted by: datlaw214 | Oct 29, 2013 10:25:41 PM

5. screw the EIGHTEEESS

Posted by: klop | Oct 29, 2013 10:31:01 PM

6. I have loved Morrissey, but the more excerpts from this book I read, the more I start to think he is just a horrible person. He seems to hate everyone, and to be so convinced he is superior... no wonder he was seemingly so unhappy.

Posted by: mike128 | Oct 29, 2013 10:37:35 PM

7. Imagine if omnivores protested the vegetarian and vegan lifestyles. When was the last time a vegetarian or vegan expected you to adapt to their diet, but refused to do the same for you?

Posted by: Knock | Oct 29, 2013 10:59:45 PM

8. His attitude makes him the male Madonna.

Posted by: PDX_Guy | Oct 29, 2013 11:41:33 PM

9. I'm sure you had no problem tasting his meat, right, Mozzie?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Oct 29, 2013 11:54:47 PM

10. He apparently needs to learn the use of something called the "past tense."

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 30, 2013 12:52:51 AM

11. Dear veggies and vegans: plants also posses a spirit. Cut the self righteousness and advocate for the humane treatment of animals and plants.

Posted by: spraypaintedgold | Oct 30, 2013 12:58:29 AM

12. I detest PETA so much I feel like having a ham sandwich for lunch today.

Posted by: Ken | Oct 30, 2013 7:43:30 AM

13. My God! Will there be nothing left to eat but rocks and gravel!!?

Oh, wait. There's ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. So much for trying to avoid spirit.

Posted by: stevetalbert | Oct 30, 2013 7:49:47 AM

14. I think he went a little overboard on the guy, but eating a dead carcass is foul.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Oct 30, 2013 7:54:52 AM

15. He can believe whatever he wants, but there's no need to be a drama queen about it. Didn't Moz know he was in a restaurant that served meat? If so, he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Posted by: Jack M | Oct 30, 2013 8:07:28 AM

16. Oh man, I would have loved to been on that date. Morrissey would be a great guy to argue with. Hate his music though. Always thought he and Trent Reznor should have hooked up in music and life.

Posted by: Fenrox | Oct 30, 2013 10:35:15 AM

17. Prig /ˈprɪɡ/ see Morrissey

Posted by: Mark | Oct 30, 2013 2:23:08 PM

18. Good drunk singing!!!

Posted by: Ankerich | Oct 30, 2013 5:23:28 PM