’30 Rock’ Actor Maulik Pancholy Comes Out as Gay

Pancholy

Maulik Pancholy, who played Jonathan on 30 Rock and Sanjay on Weeds, has spoken for the first time about his sexuality in a feature for OUT magazine's OUT100.

Said Pancholy: "I just celebrated my nine-year anniversary with my partner. It feels like a nice time to be celebrating something like that, especially on the heels of the DOMA and Prop 8 decisions."

Comments

1. says

I didn’t realize he wasn’t Out before, I’m glad he’s taken this public step. He’s awesome. And I’ve been maaaadly in love with him since I first locked eyes on him when he appeared on Tracy Takes On back in the 1990s.

SWOOOON.

2. says

He also played a straight guy who finally realizes he’s gay on “Whitney,” but once they made that transition, his character disappeared. He’s talented and quite lovely to look at.

3. Brian says

I grew up with him in Tampa and we acted in local theater. Haven’t seen him in years but he’s always been a talented and genuine person. So kudos to him.

4. Critifur says

He also played a character that was straight then became gay, or a character that was gay but got a woman pregnant or some such on Weeds.

Congrats to Maulik!

5. Rick says

Is anyone surprised that this femme, liberal foreigner is actually gay in real life? He plays exclusively gay characters who act as a minstrel show for various, overbearing female figures (Whitney Cummings, Nancy Botwin, Liz Lemon). How about reporting some real news, Andy?

6. says

I’ll never understand the whole “this is not news” reaction. Just because you already know something or even if you don’t know and don’t care, that doesn’t make it “not news.”

He’s been with his partner for 9 years so I doubt he was hiding in any closets before this, he just hadn’t spoken about it publicly.

7. Scott says

@Mr. Williams: If it shouldn’t make a difference, then why say it? So many comments on here are about how good this is, and about his being good-looking. Only good-looking men should come out? It’s not a good thing if someone you don’t find attractive is out? No wonder we, as gay men, are often considered to be so shallow.