News | Rob Ford | Toronto

Crack-Smoking Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Knocks Woman Down at Chaotic City Council Meeting: VIDEO

Council_ford

Crack-smoking homophobe Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was stripped of most of his powers by the City Council today, but not before putting on a childish show which climaxed in a charge around the chamber during which Ford knocked a female councilor off her feet. NBC News reports:

The meeting was full of drama: lawmakers pleaded with Ford to get help; the mayor vowed revenge against anyone who voted against him; and spectators shouted "Shame!" But the most surreal moment came when Ford, who appears to be in the 300-pound range, suddenly darted across the room and right into Councilor Pam McConnell, who fell.

Video of the mishap seemed to show him helping to pull the woman back up.

"I rushed over there because my brother was in an altercation," Ford explained when one of the lawmakers announced McConnell had a swollen lip and demanded an apology from him.

Watch the Globe and Mail's unbelievable video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He just cannot win, can he? Does Toronto allow for recall elections of mayors?

Posted by: Vera | Nov 18, 2013 8:26:03 PM

2. It's just a feeding frenzy of hypocrisy now...

Posted by: Ankerich | Nov 18, 2013 8:29:46 PM

3. Yep, that's my country. :(

Posted by: Randy | Nov 18, 2013 8:57:15 PM

4. He really needs to marry sarah palin.

Posted by: woody | Nov 18, 2013 9:02:58 PM

5. If the people continue to support this guy they are idiots. He should be run out of office on a rail.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Nov 18, 2013 9:21:40 PM

6. The first Ford speaking is the mayor's brother? Interesting.

Posted by: Alan | Nov 18, 2013 9:25:11 PM

7. @VERA -- Sadly, no. We cannot recall him. We just have to wait for his train to crash. :(

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 18, 2013 9:36:20 PM

8. I like the guy. He is his own person and says and does what he wants! It is glorious! He werks! My mom met him last year and loved him. I have been trying to get my dad to send some of that corporate exec salary to Ford's reelection campaign.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 18, 2013 9:41:44 PM

9. Oh please. What ridiculous hype. It was an intense, personal meeting. They announce a short break. The mayor rushes over to hug or thank some people who spoke up for him. On his way over, he didn't see the woman and bumped into her. She didn't fall on the ground, she just fell back. He steadied her and pulled her back. The whole thing was over in 2 seconds. I would have been more apologetic about it, but whatever. It is hardly a video of a raging bull inexplicably running and knocking people over.

This video made me want to support Ford. As I understand it, the council has no right to strip him of his powers. He was elected and the only way to get him out is to defeat him at the next election.

Posted by: Mike | Nov 18, 2013 9:50:12 PM

10. Nothing like "him" has ever come up before.

There's no local, legal mechanism to chuck him out of office, however... the provincial government may be able to step in and oust him.

Posted by: James in Toronto | Nov 18, 2013 9:51:19 PM

11. I wonder what his opinion polls are like...

Posted by: Vera | Nov 18, 2013 10:01:54 PM

12. His polls actually went up after he admitted to smoking crack in a drunken stupor. But most polls are worthless, so who knows.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 18, 2013 10:06:51 PM

13. Are they unable to enact a recall process? Their government sounds pretty fᏌcked up if a) lawmakers can't amend their laws to establish a recall process, and b) politicians can nullify an election.

Posted by: JJ | Nov 18, 2013 10:29:02 PM

14. If there is a need to get him out of office then just arrest him. That's what we do in DC. Perhaps the judge could require him to seek treatment as a condition of release from jail.

Posted by: Charlie | Nov 18, 2013 10:54:13 PM

15. This reminds me of the classic SNL sketch with Alec Baldwin as a politician running for office who makes one poor lapse in judgement after another. First he shoots and kills an intruder in his home who turns out to be Lassie, then he is giving a speech and gets upset and screams at a baby from the crowd, then in another speech people throw eggs at him and he grabs the first thing he sees to wipe it off his butt--the American flag. Finally, he gives another speech and gets dirty again and starts to grab the American flag to wipe his butt again, thinks better of it, so he grabs the NEXT thing he sees to wipe his butt--another baby from the crowd. Good stuff. One thing after another.

Posted by: macguffin54 | Nov 18, 2013 11:00:22 PM

16. @LITTLE KIWI -- Is this you or your impostor? I'm hoping the latter.

Posted by: Gigi | Nov 18, 2013 11:02:18 PM

17. he makes me miss Chris Farley

Posted by: mymy | Nov 18, 2013 11:06:22 PM

18. How is this guy a real person?? lol

Posted by: JMC | Nov 18, 2013 11:22:27 PM

19. Gigi- No it is not one of the troll imposters this time . . . I really do like him. My mom told me more about him after they met. He's really authentic. . . Authenticity is what I am about! He is being put down by the moralizers who have their panties in a twist about drugs and oral sex? Not havin it.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Nov 19, 2013 12:16:05 AM

20. OH CANADA!!! How did it come to this?

Posted by: Tommy | Nov 19, 2013 12:17:53 AM

21. To Little Kiwi and Mike; he is an embarrassment to our city for godsakes! Even if you disregard is drunken-crack-smoking-coke-snorting-peeing-in-public-disrespect to his staff-homophobic-racist & lewd conduct; he has made lies regarding his platform (there was never a gravy train) or accomplishments (lots of information out there to prove this). ...these qualities does not make one a leader.

Posted by: Eric A | Nov 19, 2013 12:33:11 AM

22. Is this guy for real? Did this really happen?? WOW!

Posted by: zeddy | Nov 19, 2013 12:35:41 AM

23. Don't really follow Canadian politics but didn't someone allege that they were threatened by the mob to hand over the video tape of the crack smoking mayor? Doesn't that imply the mayor has mob ties. Plus I thought he had prior incidents involving a dui accident and in the crack smoking video he makes racial slurs.

Frankly, I cannot imagine why anyone is supporting this guy. The crack dealers are in jail or dead (I think one of them was killed) but the mayor walks free and says he supports drug enforcement. He seems the epitome of a hypocrite but the people in Toronto still support him.

We have no shortage of political criminals in my state (Illinois) but we tend to jail ours when they do wrong.

Posted by: m.r. | Nov 19, 2013 2:57:08 AM

24. Just found it--he did have a DUI in Miami years ago. When stopped by the cops he was drunk and smelled of marijuana and he threw money at the cops. I guess he was a comedian even then. Supposed he'd hit someone?

Plus isn''t this the mayor infamous for snubbing Toronto Gay Pride Parade and being the first Toronto mayor to ever miss it? And wiki has his quotes about AIDS here: ""If you are not doing needles and you are not gay, you wouldn't get AIDS probably, that's bottom line...those are the facts."

Here's Ford's views on Asian people or as he refers to them, orientals: "Those Oriental people work like dogs. They work their hearts out. They are workers non-stop. They sleep beside their machines. That's why they're successful in life. I went to Seoul, South Korea, I went to Taipei, Taiwan. I went to Tokyo, Japan. That's why these people are so hard workers (sic). I'm telling you, the Oriental people, they're slowly taking over."

This is the guy you support Little Kiwi??????

Posted by: m.r. | Nov 19, 2013 3:10:38 AM

25. "one of the lawmakers announced McConnell had a swollen lip"? Seriously? Her face never even touched him! Ford's an idiot who deserves whatever he gets, but that's just ludicrous.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 19, 2013 3:57:33 AM