Chris Cheng | Guns | I'm Gay

American Marksman and 'Top Shot' Champion Chris Cheng: I'm Gay

Cheng

Chris Cheng, the Season 4 Champion of the History Channel’s Top Shot, has come out of the closet in an interview with gun magazine Recoil.

C_chengCheng said producers and fellow contestants knew he was gay:

I’m pretty sure it factored into the casting panel’s decision to accept me, but it was one of many factors they considered. I had to demonstrate that I could shoot well. Top Shot isn’t about personality conflicts and drama like other reality competitions. It’s a marksmanship competition to see who can master a wide variety of weapons in unpredictable, challenging situations.

...

I was pleasantly surprised when other competitors found out I was gay. They were either indifferent or accepting. The most common response I received was “Chris, we don’t really care that you’re gay, we care about how well you can shoot…the better we all shoot, the more exciting the competition will be…” I suppose this affected the house dynamics in that I never heard any gay pejoratives during my six weeks there.

The shooting community was honestly one of the last places I expected gay acceptance on any level. That really caught me off guard, in a good way. It’s how life should be, where no one cares if you’re gay, straight, or somewhere in between. We should be evaluated and judged based on our skills and accomplishments. While I was hoping to break some stereotypes, some of my own stereotypes regarding the shooting community were also broken. It was an enlightening experience.

More of the interview at Recoil...

Cheng added on his personal blog:

While it’s something my friends and family have known for years, I believe now that I have become a television personality and public figure, it is important to be honest and upfront about who Chris Cheng is. Thankfully, tolerance and acceptance are contagious. Being gay is no longer something to hide...One reason why I chose to come out publicly is that I’m a gay guy in a gun world. Hunters, sport shooting enthusiasts, and collectors are too often stereotyped as part of efforts to politicize guns as we witnessed last week on the anniversary of the horrific Newtown tragedy. Take it from someone who in a single package is not only gay, but Chinese, Japanese, California-born, a college graduate, a tech geek who worked on cool Google projects, a gun enthusiast and a passionate 2nd Amendment advocate. Our community is as diverse as anyone’s.

Make sure not to miss our list of The Top 53 Most Powerful Coming Outs of 2013. As a late addition, Cheng would certainly qualify.

Comments

1. Yes, there are gay gun enthusiasts. Just ask Rachel Maddow.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 18, 2013 4:35:16 PM

2. >Rachel Maddow
    >Gun enthusiast

Pick one.

That said, good for him. I don't know how he survives being a firearms enthusiast in CA though.

Posted by: matt | Dec 18, 2013 4:53:45 PM

3. The sound you hear is that of all sorts of stereotypes hitting the floor.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 18, 2013 5:03:12 PM

4. Gay. Conservative. 2nd Amendment Advocate and Gun Enthusiast. Top Shot Champion.

Breaking stereotypes is right. And Chris has received a lot of support. Even in worlds traditionally seen as conservative, where you wouldn't imagine gay people being, we exist, and we're embraced. Change has come.

Posted by: Francis | Dec 18, 2013 5:28:34 PM

5. Yes change is here and we are witnessing it. I may not agree with his opinions, but I am happy he's out and shows there are all kinds of gay men.

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 18, 2013 5:37:51 PM

6. So here we have a happy, talented, healthy and successful man, confidently being himself. And note that he comes out as gay. Not "queer". Not LGBTQIIAAPNGC. This is what normality looks like.

Posted by: Sam | Dec 18, 2013 5:50:48 PM

7. Yes- a gay man with a gun!

Posted by: jarago | Dec 18, 2013 6:05:02 PM

8. His insane views on weapons and the Second Amendment prove that gay people can be just as out of their minds as straight people. Progress?

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Dec 18, 2013 6:07:21 PM

9. Ugh. Hate gaysians. Tiny little child-men with no hair. So unsexy.

Posted by: Derrick From Philly | Dec 18, 2013 6:11:26 PM

10. So the gay community has its own set of gun nuts. Yay for diversity.

Posted by: phil | Dec 18, 2013 6:29:00 PM

11. And according to his Facebook page, he's a big fan of Duck Dynasty

Posted by: DrKRL | Dec 18, 2013 6:31:41 PM

12. It would be a surprise if he said he is not a republican.

Posted by: simon | Dec 18, 2013 6:32:10 PM

13. He is a stupid NRA-loving nutbag. Not for liking guns, but for praising the NRA.

Posted by: Steve | Dec 18, 2013 6:35:41 PM

14. Asian and a gun-nut? I hope for his penis's sake, he doesn't drive one of those enormous pick-up trucks, too.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 18, 2013 7:08:03 PM

15. Too bad about the NRA bit. He's wicked cute.

Posted by: sundayboy | Dec 18, 2013 7:34:15 PM

16. Assuming the poster DERRICK FROM PHILLY made that posting, rather than someone impersonating him, may I respectfully request his account be terminated?

I'm all for free speech but not racist hate speech. That was repulsive.

Posted by: sundayboy | Dec 18, 2013 7:36:49 PM

17. I am 1000% certain that didn't come from Derrick from Philly, just more troll work from Rick.

Posted by: Brian1 | Dec 18, 2013 8:44:42 PM

18. @SUNDAYBOY: If you read the posts on Towleroad with any regularity you must know that DERRICK FROM PHILLY did not post those racist comments. Unfortunately the people who own Towleroad do nothing to prevent a##holes from posting vile things in other's names. They must enjoy it because they could easily stop it, but choose not to. They are the enablers of this vile deceitful behavior.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 18, 2013 9:08:43 PM

19. People like Derrick call out trolls, and trolls get their revenge by positing horrible comments under his name. It's a sad cycle that will continue as long as this site sticks to the current commenting system.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 18, 2013 9:15:32 PM

20. @TYLER: Towleroad owners clearly like the present COMMENTING SYSTEM. My proof: They allow it to continue. They don't care that they enable some a##holes in their attempt to make others look like fools or bigots.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 18, 2013 9:27:41 PM

21. He seems well spoken and humble. And he is a good looking guy to boot.

Posted by: jonvincent | Dec 18, 2013 11:17:49 PM

22. Matt, there are lots of gun enthusiasts in CA.

Posted by: jeff | Dec 18, 2013 11:51:00 PM

23. bravo! this guy is cool...an empowered Queer Asian firearms enthusiast and defender of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.

let the enemies of Freedom squeal like the pigs they are. hate gays? drop dead...now. hate guns? drop dead...now.

ttyl :)

Posted by: Jeton Ademaj | Dec 19, 2013 12:16:33 AM

24. Jeff, I'm aware of this, but I don't know how you can stand living somewhere with such insane unconstitutional gun control measures. You can't even have a proper AR.

Posted by: matt | Dec 19, 2013 12:33:27 AM

25. @Derrick From Philly,

what is ur problem? Asian men are gorgeous. And there are plenty of Asian men who are tall and hairy. You seem really racist.

Posted by: Michael | Dec 19, 2013 12:50:51 AM