Dustin Lance Black | Jonathan Ross | News | Tom Daley

Tom Daley Says It Was 'Love at First Sight' in Preview of Jonathan Ross Interview

Daley
(Daley in a previous appearance on The Jonathan Ross Show. Clip, AFTER THE JUMP...)

Lengthy excerpts from a Tom Daley interview to be conducted by host Jonathan Ross on The Jonathan Ross Show on Saturday night have been published by the PA news wire that give further insight into the Olympic diver's coming out but still don't disclose who "the guy" is who's making the difference in Daley's life. British tabloids and U.S. entertainment site E! have both reported that it's Oscar-winning screenwriter Dustin Lance Black but neither Black nor Daley have confirmed it. Daley says it was "love at first sight."

Black did post the following tweet at the end of the day the news broke about Daley: "Slept all day today after my trip to Russia. Did I miss anything?"

Daley tells Ross he didn't know if the guy he's dating was gay:

"I didn't know what to do or if he was gay at first. I made the first move, I typed 'call me' in his notes with a smiley face on this phone and the next day he texted. He makes me feel safe and happy, right now I couldn't be happier. I'd never felt the feeling of love, it happened so quickly, I was completely overwhelmed by it to the point I can't get him out of my head all the time. I've never had it before where I love someone and they love me just as much.

DaleyDaley also describes the pain of being closeted:

It felt like a dirty little secret, it felt like I had chains wrapped around me, I couldn't be who I was, I felt alone and trapped. Just telling one person made me feel so much better, just that one person took a weight off my shoulder. I told Sophie my best friend first as I knew she'd be really accepting of it. She's been so supportive and there for me. Now that everyone knows, I have nothing to hide, those chains that I felt wrapped around me are gone and I can carry on with my life as normal and be happy.

I felt like there was something wrong with me, I didn't know other people out there felt that way, I felt so alone, so locked away and couldn't say anything. Tell one person. Tell your story, how you feel. I've had people send some lovely Twitter messages with people telling me they've since come out to their parents, that they've had some hope, it shouldn't matter who I'm dating in this day and age. Be who you want to be.

And yes, he consciously eschewed putting a label on himself:

Everything is all pretty new so I don't see any point in putting a label on it - gay, bi, straight, any of those kind of labels. All that I feel happy about at the moment is that I'm dating a guy and couldn't be happier, it shouldn't matter who I'm dating and I hope people can be happy for me.

Daley says he's training full time for the Olympics now:

I'm training full time now and it's always tough the first year after the Olympics. I'm working hard and want to be at the Commonwealth Games in the best shape I possibility can. My dream is to get an Olympic gold medal and I hope Rio 2016 will be my chance to do that. London 2012 was an amazing experience and so was Beijing but as a diver you normally peak between 22-24 and I'll be 22 in Rio.

And his new relationship is motivating him:

He saved me from not wanting to dive anymore. After the Olympics I was down in the dumps, as it's such a hard way to get back into everything, but he gave me the extra motivation and made me work harder and that is exactly what I need. It was a terrifying decision to make, I didn't know what the reaction was going to be like, I didn't know how it was going to go but I felt I needed to say something. I wanted to say something in my own words and from the heart, I didn't know what else to do.

Watch a previous Tom Daley appearance on Jonathan Ross, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I hope he wins a lot of gold in 2016. That's it.

Posted by: Merty | Dec 5, 2013 7:56:39 AM

2. How come he puts labels on other people but not himself?

Well, anyway, good luck bi boy.

Posted by: Verily | Dec 5, 2013 7:59:15 AM

3. Merty, seconded.

verily, st*u

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Dec 5, 2013 8:09:06 AM

4. That little anecdote about how he met his boyfriend would seem to make it unlikely that it's Dustin Lance Black. It's hard to conceive of a scenario where Tom would meet Dustin by chance and make the first move without knowing whether Dustin was gay.

Posted by: brian1 | Dec 5, 2013 8:24:51 AM

5. Brian1, I think he is lying. This way he takes the brunt for the relationship's 20 age gap. This is 101 stuff-the younger couple is ALWAYS the one that pursued and made the move blah blah. If the older is famous/rich, then the younger 'didn't know who he was!'...

LMAO. You must be new to showbiz pr blurb but fair enough if you were at first confused.

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 5, 2013 8:48:36 AM

6. This is why I have so little to do with twinks. At that age, everything feels so massive and important and world-changing.

Gurl, you just gay. It ain't no big deal. Nobody unshackled you from any chains.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 5, 2013 8:58:07 AM

7. @Rowan

LMAO seems a bit of an overreaction. It's not like I was duped by the PR blurb. Neither of us believe the story as it pertains to Dustin Lance Black. It's just that I figured it might mean his boyfriend is someone else, while you figured that it is DLB and that Tom is lying about the way they met. If the publicist is really pushing the story that DLB and Tom met this way, then neither of us bought it.

Posted by: brian1 | Dec 5, 2013 9:03:01 AM

8. I wonder if Tom is any relation to the Chicago's Mayor Daley?

Posted by: Dwight | Dec 5, 2013 9:14:15 AM

9. Congrats to Tom on your first future ex lover.

Posted by: Mastik8 | Dec 5, 2013 9:21:47 AM

10. People mistook this guy for straight? Wow.

Posted by: MIke | Dec 5, 2013 9:37:51 AM

11. I'm stealing this quote. "I wish them days of happiness together."

Posted by: bollox | Dec 5, 2013 10:04:59 AM

12. the jaded and bitter queens on this site just kill me; this guy has found a bit of happiness in our world; if you can't be happy for him, just STFUl you're just as bad as all the bigots out there

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Dec 5, 2013 10:09:57 AM

13. *Many.

Posted by: bollox | Dec 5, 2013 10:10:24 AM

14. If he is dating DLB, then this quote here is definitely a load of waffle. I simply refuse to believe that even the dippiest 19yo himbo twink wouldn't know instantly that DLB was a huge mo.

Posted by: FFS | Dec 5, 2013 10:23:35 AM

15. All I could think while reading his quotes was, "Awwwwwww." Guess I'm just a romantic softie at heart.

Posted by: Dback | Dec 5, 2013 10:26:37 AM

16. @GROVER UNDERWOOD:Thank you. I don't know what's happened to us. The guy has found some happiness. He's growing and I'm sure he'll have some stumbles along the way. Why must people be so bitter and hateful? Two people in love, no matter how fleeting we think the moment will be, is a beautiful thing. I wish them all the happiness in the world, and if you can't, well then just keep it to yourself.

Posted by: Bob R | Dec 5, 2013 10:34:47 AM

17. I hope it's not Black. yuk.

Posted by: Tristram | Dec 5, 2013 10:43:45 AM

18. Oh to be 19, naive, and self-deceiving again!

Posted by: Matt Darren | Dec 5, 2013 11:07:15 AM

19. Oh to be 19, naive, and self-deceiving again!

Posted by: Matt Darren | Dec 5, 2013 11:07:15 AM

20. I hope it is not Black either. If it is then Black ought to be ashamed of himself.

Dan Savage has wise advice on relationships with large age differences - namely that the older person has an obligation to ensure that the younger party is not harmed by the relationship.

If Tom Daley is dating a middle aged man like Black who has participated in a bareback sex tape, then that is going to raise concerns for Daley's sponsors, and negatively impact Daley's ability to earn a living.

Black has a pretty skeezy reputation as a chicken hawk as well.

Apparently they met at the KIDS CHOICE AWARDS. Strange place for a middle aged man who writes movies for adults to be hanging out at.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 5, 2013 11:10:00 AM

21. Is there anything more cynical than a bitter old gay man? If you've got any class you'll wish them well and be happy for their happiness...whether it lasts a week, a month or a lifetime.

Posted by: Kieran | Dec 5, 2013 11:20:40 AM

22. I hope @FFS isn't implying Tom is a 'himbo'- at age 19 he got very good grades in his A-Levels, which are the exams you take in the UK before University/College. All while training for his chosen sport. Oh, and he was bullied at his previous school, which won't have made things easy either.

An A in Maths is much better than I managed, and I only went on to work for the Medical Research Council making radio-ligands for Positron Emission Tomography, and then become a Technical Director at a global ISP, so I'm sure he'll end up as a manicurist or something.

Posted by: Graham | Dec 5, 2013 11:21:13 AM

23. He seems like a nice kid, but lines like, "I didn't know other people out there felt that way" are either BS or he's lived the most isolated life ever---despite having traveled the world and meeting thousands of people.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 5, 2013 11:22:54 AM

24. It isn't "bitter" to hope that Tom Daley, who seems like a nice but naive young man, isn't dating Dustin Lance Black, bareback sex aficionado, last seen lecturing the gay community how it shouldn't Ender's Game, written by RABID homophobe (and fellow Mormon) Orson Scott Card.

It isn't a matter of jealousy, but of not wanting to see him make what seems to be a bad choice.

Posted by: Caliban | Dec 5, 2013 11:39:05 AM

25. It's hardly 'bitter' be concerned about a closeted teenager involved with a middle aged man who has appeared in bareback sex tapes.

DLB has a dodgy reputation for his alleged taste for teenagers as well (I had heard this before he was linked to Tom Daley).

Tom Daley is 19. He has a few more years of a diving career in which he will earn large sponsorship deals. Being linked to a middle aged barebacker (who he allegedly met at the Kids Choice Awards) is surely going to give Daley's sponsors pause for thought.

Posted by: MaryM | Dec 5, 2013 11:42:28 AM