Annise Parker | Houston | News | Republican Party | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Houston Mayor Annise Parker Rips GOP Attacks on Her Marriage: 'Get Over It' —VIDEO

A_parker

Houston Mayor Annise Parker was attacked by several Republicans for leaving Texas last week to marry her longtime partner Kathy Hubbard in Palm Springs. The Republicans said her marriage is politically motivated, KHOU reports.

Said State Senator Dan Patrick of Parker's nuptials:

“I am not shocked that Mayor Parker decided to elope to California for a marriage that is unconstitutional in Texas. This is obviously part of a larger strategy of hers to turn Texas into California.”

WoodfillHarris County Republican Chairman Jared Woodfill (right) made similar accusations.

Parker blasted the criticism:

"Dan Patrick’s running a political campaign. And he wants to make the gay community a whipping boy in that political campaign. And he thought I was an appropriate target. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. And I don’t think that’s unusual....

Said Parker of Woodfill (not in clip): "Mr. Woodfill is a little like a windup doll. I say something and he goes on TV and says this is something I planned. It’s part of my grand agenda to promote gay rights."

Parker is not having the criticism, nor should she:

"You don't commit 23 years of your life to someone to make a political statement...I took four days off. I had to leave my home state and make a little wedge of time to marry the woman I love. They can get over it."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Parker

Comments

1. What a stupid article they wrote in Texas:
    "in a ceremony that’s illegal in their home state."

No, the ceremony itself is not illegal, you dolts. The marriage isn't legally recognized. That's a huge difference.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 22, 2014 12:17:20 PM

2. Well said doll. You make a beautiful couple. Love and best wishes.

Posted by: Mike | Jan 22, 2014 12:25:21 PM

3. A windup doll! HA! Woo Annise is good. Tough as nails. I like that.

Posted by: Leo | Jan 22, 2014 12:26:06 PM

4. So Dan Patrick thinks there could be a political dimension to marriage? I thought there was absolutely no other possible purpose for marriage except to procreate?

So, which is it?

Posted by: footwork61 | Jan 22, 2014 12:35:12 PM

5. Hooray, brava and congratulations to Annise Parker. You go, girl !!

Posted by: rroberts | Jan 22, 2014 12:36:32 PM

6. Accusing someone who just got married of marrying for political purposes - that is real class.

Congratulations to the mayor and her wife on their marriage. I hope the day soon dawns when marriage equality has come to Texas and indeed to the whole country.

Posted by: john patrick | Jan 22, 2014 12:37:31 PM

7. I love her!

Posted by: jmgjmg | Jan 22, 2014 12:56:39 PM

8. "He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. And I don’t think that’s unusual...."

Oh, snap!

Posted by: Drew | Jan 22, 2014 12:58:46 PM

9. "This is obviously part of a larger strategy of hers to turn Texas into California." 2 thoughts: 1) that's quite an agenda for the mayor of one Texas city. But she is a lesbian, so she might just get it done and, 2) Texas, particularly that idiot's Texas, could do with a dash of California.

Posted by: Don | Jan 22, 2014 1:15:08 PM

10. "This is obviously part of a larger strategy of hers to turn Texas into California." 2 thoughts: 1) that's quite an agenda for the mayor of one Texas city. But she is a lesbian, so she might just get it done and, 2) Texas, particularly that idiot's Texas, could do with a dash of California.

Posted by: Don | Jan 22, 2014 1:15:08 PM

11. In case you want to send a message on Woodfill's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/jaredwoodfill

Posted by: Gay Dad ATL | Jan 22, 2014 1:15:59 PM

12. And here's Patrick's FB Page, although you cannot write a post, I sent him a comment on one of his posts: https://www.facebook.com/dan.patrick.texas

Posted by: Gay Dad ATL | Jan 22, 2014 1:19:32 PM

13. Well said Mayor! Congratulation to you and Kathy !

Posted by: Jeannine | Jan 22, 2014 2:43:29 PM

14. Note to republicans who think they will maintain the advantage: Never underestimate a southern LGBT citizen. The oppression they grew up under has made them very astute in their manner and judgment.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Jan 22, 2014 2:45:13 PM

15. I'm so proud of my mayor!

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jan 22, 2014 3:08:47 PM

16. Republicans are so willing to attack families. They hate families. That's just sad.

Posted by: reality | Jan 22, 2014 3:22:24 PM

17. Man, I bet the bed shakes, rattles, and rolls when those two cows are in it together. LOL.

Seriously, is there such a thing as a lesbian who is not either overweight, ugly, hairy-legged, butchy, or granny-like?

There must be one somewhere.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 22, 2014 3:49:48 PM

18. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portia_de_Rossi

Posted by: jesrypo | Jan 22, 2014 3:54:50 PM

19. @RICK Honey, can't you find somewhere else to troll around on? Please? And, for the record, you'll find that lesbians come in many sizes, shapes, ages, and all of them beautiful. And, for the record, lesbians have been fighting the good fight with courage and conviction, taking it on the chin, for all of us, for a very long time.

Now, please! Take your old, trolly, envious, jealous, embittered homo-self and go somewhere else before I sic the mayor of Houston on you and have her, with one arm tied behind her back, kick your pathetic self-loathing @$$ clear in to next week.

Posted by: jama49 | Jan 22, 2014 4:58:39 PM

20. Im so proud of Anise Parker and her wife Kathy. A shining example of what honesty, dedication and hard work can being you. Dan Patrick can go f@@k himself.

Posted by: Ted Holland | Jan 22, 2014 5:17:36 PM

21. The face of Jared Woodfill (Woodfill???) explains it all — mean-spirited, backwoods vermin who will probably never get it. Annise, keep your ground (as you always do) and either pull these people into the 21st century, or… just live the better life you will have by believing in yourself and those close to you, and damn the others.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jan 22, 2014 5:20:07 PM

22. I'm proud of Annise and proud that she is our mayor! I'm also proud to be a longtime supporter of hers. You go girl!

Posted by: Timmy | Jan 22, 2014 7:38:11 PM

23. Roses and chocolate to the happy couple.

Posted by: Louis | Jan 22, 2014 8:12:26 PM

24. In the mold of two other amazing Texans, Molly Ivins and Ann Richards.

Hmmm ... governor ...