Anderson Cooper | Arizona | Discrimination | News

Anderson Cooper Destroys Arizona GOP State Senator's Defense of Anti-Gay Law: VIDEO

Melvin

On AC360 tonight, Anderson Cooper confronted Arizona State Senator and gubernatorial candidate Al Melvin about SB 1062, the bill that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays based on religious beliefs. Constitutional law professor Kenji Yoshino joined the debate and spent the segment rebutting Melvin's arguments.

Melvin either didn't appear to know or didn't want to admit that his state can already fire someone for being gay because sexual orientation is not included in the state's anti-discrimination statutes. Melvin also coiuldn't give an incredulous Anderson Cooper a single instance in which someone has been discriminated against based on their religious beliefs.

Said Melvin:

"Not now. No. But how 'bout tomorrow?"

YoahinoUsing a hypothetical situation under the proposed law, Anderson went on to ask the Senator if, because Jesus spoke against divorce, he would support a business person who wanted to discriminate against a divorced woman or an unwed mother.

"I think you're being far-fetched with all due respect sir. As a Christian, as most God-fearing men and women would respect unwed mothers, divorced women, who would discriminate them? I've never heard of discriminating against people like that. I never have..."

Melvin's only response was to return to his wingnut talking points:

"All of the pillars of society are under attack in the United States, including religious freedom...We want to protect traditional marriage. Traditional families..."

Finally, Anderson blasts Melvin when he can't say if he believes it is discrimination if someone is fired for their sexual orientation.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Part 2:

Comments

1. Good to see a journalist FINALLY calling out these "traditional marriage" extremists on their ambivalence towards divorce and other tenets of the Bible. We need to keep hammering them on this to not only expose the ludicrousness of the Bible but also to expose the fact that they are bigots simply hiding behind the Bible.

Posted by: Chrislam | Feb 24, 2014 10:21:13 PM

2. Arizona is really made up of dopes. Who elects these fools?

Posted by: Reality | Feb 24, 2014 10:21:34 PM

3. Wow , thank you Andy, thank you Anderson. I'm 46 and we need to change our government from this , local and major .This , this old school way of thinking is over. The power, the people, the current 2014 way of life and changing times. even my father has changed his views on everything over the years. times are changing , evolve and enjoy life, love and the pursuit of happiness, support of all , or roll over and die in your own hate of change. life is too short, ask all these older people of hatred how many of their loved ones they lost, and wished they could say , I loved them, told them they were loved , wished they could tell them or say goodbye, or touched base with them before they left this world. all of them would say I would have.

Posted by: Sam Kelley | Feb 24, 2014 10:26:37 PM

4. Jan Brewer SHOULD sign it into law. Then we can watch the mass exodus of corporations, businesses, etc. and laugh, however, I predict she WILL NOT sign it into law, due to the current backlash, not due to her morals. Even 3 legislators who assisted in the passage have now back-pedaled because of the backlash. The State Senator in the video is completely lost!!

Posted by: CB | Feb 24, 2014 10:26:41 PM

5. Just more faux outrage from a closet gay republican..

Posted by: styler | Feb 24, 2014 10:45:22 PM

6. If they hadn't of canceled his show would he have said this???

Posted by: styler | Feb 24, 2014 10:45:55 PM

7. It's more than just backlash that would prevent Madame Brewer from signing. If anything, I'm sure the economic repercussions of the bill are what's at stake. And she is more than aware of that. I'm certain she's weighing all the options while basking in the lime light of how she temporarily wields such power. Like a high stakes poker game. When the chips are down, right?

Posted by: MickyFlip | Feb 24, 2014 10:48:07 PM

8. And this is what happens when a village of village idiots hold public office. I cannot imagine who looks at these types of candidates and say, "Yes, that is someone I support and think is capable of critical analysis." When the populous has been dumbed down by rhetoric, Fox Not News, and eroded education, this is the result.

Posted by: Dan Fotou | Feb 24, 2014 10:50:02 PM

9. Brewer is so witheringly stupid she may just sign this bill into law - thereby destroying the Arizona economy for generations. Great test-case for other states contemplating the same assininity. Actually, I hope she does.

Posted by: Geoff | Feb 24, 2014 11:08:40 PM

10. To be fair, none of these village idiots were elected by Democratic process, they were rather Gerrymandered into their seats.
    And none know how to address reasonably their voting for such heinously Nazi-like law either. You can actually smell their embarrassment over the screen.

Posted by: Mags | Feb 24, 2014 11:08:51 PM

11. 2:40 He doesn't know of anyone who would stand for it (the firing of someone because they are gay)?!

How about the entire legislative, executive, and judicial branches of Arizona? If they wouldn't "stand for it", it wouldn't be legal.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 24, 2014 11:17:03 PM

12. is it bad a very small part of me wants to see this pass just to see what happens? To see if corporations will really leave have our back. to see if people will rise up to fight this. and to expose the darker side that is still in existence in many parts of the US. I bump into many people who say "DOMA and DADT are gone everythings going alright for you gays" if they were to pass this, and all hell would break loose would it not act as a deterrent for other states to follow the same path?

Posted by: Billy | Feb 24, 2014 11:22:43 PM

13. Idiots are useful. It would be difficult for anyone with a brain to stand behind this moron.

Posted by: Redhook | Feb 24, 2014 11:25:39 PM

14. Idiots are useful. It would be difficult for anyone with a brain to stand behind this moron.

Posted by: Redhook | Feb 24, 2014 11:25:40 PM

15. Gosh, why can't Anderson just understand that discrimination is totally OK, as long it doesn't affect straight white Christian males? At least this Melvin guy totally gets it!

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Feb 24, 2014 11:29:42 PM

16. He is just saying I don't know what I am doing. I just want to get votes.

Posted by: simon | Feb 24, 2014 11:40:03 PM

17. I can't watch this interview and not yell at my phone. I don't know why people keep electing representatives who have no business being in politics.

Posted by: Jay M | Feb 24, 2014 11:46:38 PM

18. The government of Arizona will always be remembered for this. What a bunch of bumbling fools. They sit comfortably in their chairs and pass laws without thinking and then when it comes time to answer for their decisions, they visibly sweat and can't form complete sentences or thoughts. "OOOOH I don't know anyone who would do such a thing! Who would discriminate like that? NOBODY I KNOW DISCRIMINATES! Preposterous!" or "I've changed my mind! I didn't mean it! Veto the bill pretty please!" This is hilarious, I was angry but now I am thoroughly entertained. You know, I want the bill to pass. There's no way the Supreme Court will even look at it and I want to see Arizona crumble. I want to see the state corrode and then start pointing fingers at the governing bodies, holding these people finally accountable for their brainless, wasteful, and sloppy actions and decisions.

Posted by: Babycakes | Feb 24, 2014 11:46:48 PM

19. A total idiot. A complete and total idiot. How do Republicans like this get voted into office? What is wrong with the citizens of Arizona?

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Feb 24, 2014 11:51:41 PM

20. They didn't ask the really interesting question: given that Al Melvin is running for governor, who are the people daft enough to fund his campaign?

It is not just that he refused to answer a simple question. He couldn't even do a good job of dodging it.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 24, 2014 11:59:34 PM

21. How is this man running to be governor!? He doesn't know anything about law or society in general! WTF?! How do these people get to these positions and why is it aloud!?

Posted by: Will | Feb 25, 2014 12:03:08 AM

22. It's hate. Nothing but hate. The Republicans don't care that what they are doing doesn't make sense or costs the taxpayer a lot of money, they are doing crap like this out of pure hate for gay people. There is no other explanation yet they will give you every excuse in the book and try as hard as they can to make it appear as though you don't understand without ever admitting "we are doing this out of hate for gay people." There is no other explanation and he can't give you a valid answer. None of them can.

Quite frankly I'm hoping that Brewer signs the anti-gay law because Arizona will then become the most hated state in the Union, not just by gay people but by all sane people across this nation. And Arizonians, no matter how sweet and wonderful we know many to be, will be the laughing stock of the United States. Please Governor Brewer sign the bill. Arizona voters deserve to be the most hated citizens within America. BTW, there is no one to blame for this other than the citizens of Arizona who elected these idiots in the first place.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Feb 25, 2014 12:04:00 AM

23. 5:20 "Final Chapter"? That's so short-sighted.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 25, 2014 12:16:23 AM

24. At least people now realize how the atrocities of WWII happened - politicians place their politicial ambitions over the human rights of others. That's why politicians who violate human rights should be punished according to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which was created to inform people when governments overstep their authority.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 25, 2014 12:29:58 AM

25. Mike Ryan, I agree with you that this is pure hate. It is so obvious. But unlike you and some of the other posters on this site, I hope that Brewer vetoes this bill. I wouldn't wish this kind of law on any group of LGBT people in any state. I was born and grew up and lived in the State of Missouri many years. But I moved to Illinois 19 years ago and would never move back to Missouri due to the antigay atmosphere in the State government and much of the state, and the antigay laws in place. That kind of atmosphere drains just too much energy.

Posted by: john patrick | Feb 25, 2014 12:31:33 AM