HBO's 'Looking' Renewed for Second Season

Looking

HBO's Looking has been renewed, Variety reports:

“Looking” premiered last month to a small audience, but has grown its audience with each of its last three episodes. The pickup comes as HBO sorts out its comedy slate with a renewal last week for “Getting On,” and cancellations after maiden seasons for comedies “Hello Ladies” and “Family Tree.”

Actors Lauren Weedman, Raul Castillo and Russell Tovey have been upped to series regular status. Jonathan Groff, Frankie Alvarez and Murray Bartlett play the show’s core trio.

THR adds:

Looking, which did not have the strongest start in January when it debuted to 338,000 viewers, has improved significantly. After a few weeks of dips, the most recent episode (Feb. 23) averaged a series high 519,000 viewers. Like all HBO series, it has drawn its greatest audience in gross views -- that includes originals, replays, On Demand, HBO Go -- with a season-to-date score of two million weekly viewers.

Season 2 is scheduled to start shooting later this year. No word on if it will be expanding the number of episodes.

Comments

1. "Perry" will be bummed.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 26, 2014 12:58:29 PM

2. And gay men who enjoy having sex and actually hanging out with other gay men will be thrilled!

Cheers to another season, may the show continue to grow. I'm in.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Feb 26, 2014 1:01:48 PM

3. YAY!!!!

Posted by: Alex | Feb 26, 2014 1:03:41 PM

4. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Joe | Feb 26, 2014 1:03:53 PM

5. Sweet! Good show. Love the look and feel.

Posted by: Alan | Feb 26, 2014 1:04:04 PM

6. IM surprised and glad, hopefully the second season will be better paced.

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Feb 26, 2014 1:05:01 PM

7. That's disappointing to read. We stopped watching after the second episode, "Looking for Uncut," continued to perpetuate the urban myth that intact men aren't "clean."

Plus the show in general was a pretentious bore that pushed an image of the gay community as commitment-phobic, drug-obsessed men who spend all their nights looking for new hook-ups to have anonymous sex with.

Most gay people I know have a lot more depth to their personality and a wider range of interests outside of bars and random sex.

Posted by: Nathan | Feb 26, 2014 1:09:04 PM

8. Good News!

I egarly await season two & anything with Russell Tovey is A-OK with me

Posted by: Griff | Feb 26, 2014 1:14:34 PM

9. Oh, it's a comedy? I was wondering what it was, besides being a waste of time.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Feb 26, 2014 1:15:09 PM

10. love gruff and bartlett but the show is rubbish. it's like watching 3 girls wade through their late teens.

Posted by: Adam | Feb 26, 2014 1:15:23 PM

11. Yes! Very happy to hear this. It's a fantastic show.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 26, 2014 1:16:46 PM

12. "I was wondering what it was, besides being a waste of time."

And yet you watch every episode... we can only assume because you haven't got much going on with your valuable time.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 26, 2014 1:18:41 PM

13. nathan, just cause you're a boring homo doesn't mean the rest of us are. MOST of us ARE sex-obsessed and do drugs.

Posted by: brian | Feb 26, 2014 1:19:10 PM

14. Good to hear. I wasn't sold on it at first, but I've really come to like it.

Plus Richie is incredibly adorable.

Posted by: OddBet | Feb 26, 2014 1:20:17 PM

15. If they get rid of frankie alverez's character, it would make the show a lot better.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 26, 2014 1:22:04 PM

16. I'm another thrilled fan of the show...

FANTASTIC!

Posted by: TonyJazz | Feb 26, 2014 1:22:10 PM

17. The best news I've heard today. Love the show, and I'm glad they're giving it a second season. Can't wait to see how things develop with the characters. Btw, I want to marry Jonathan Groff. I know he's available.

Posted by: Tony Diaz | Feb 26, 2014 1:23:06 PM

18. I agree with Nathan and Adam. Spot on.

Posted by: PeterNZ | Feb 26, 2014 1:23:22 PM

19. This show has grown on me exponentially. It started quite slow and I almost gave up on it but now it's one of my must-sees of the week. Will be sad when it finishes its first season run in a few weeks.

Posted by: Jose Arribas | Feb 26, 2014 1:25:43 PM

20. Can't imagine why someone is "disappointed" to hear that the show has been renewed. Good grief, just don't watch it! I am personally delighted because each week the show has gotten better and better. Glad to see Russell Tovey will be a series regular.

Posted by: HarleyDog | Feb 26, 2014 1:26:35 PM

21. More silly comments. "Sex obsessed?" Most of the air time seems to be taken up with the characters' career issues and with their search for a lasting relationship. The story of Dom is that of a guy who is aging out of the promiscuous lifestyle and looking for something more meaningful. And the fact that Richie will be included in the second season means that Patrick will continue to seek a relationship with him. Drugs? What drug use was ever shown other than a couple of scenes where joints were smoked? Sometimes I feel that the people posting the stranger comments must be high.

Posted by: Simon | Feb 26, 2014 1:29:06 PM

22. @Ernie It is cool to see I have gotten into your head. You obviously have nothing better to do with your life.

It is a shame this show got renewed. It takes away a timeslot from possible other shows that are actually worth watching.

Posted by: Perry | Feb 26, 2014 1:29:16 PM

23. hell yeah!

Posted by: tyto | Feb 26, 2014 1:29:20 PM

24. I'm so happy!

Don't forget people complained about The Wire during the first season and it went on to become, to quote Terry Gross "the most complex and full example of dramatic expression since Shakespeare."

Complex forms of expression take time to develop and build. That is the beauty and strength over film of the long running television series.

Posted by: bicuriousus | Feb 26, 2014 1:29:59 PM

25. congratulations to the cast and crew! I've only watched the first episode but I liked the overall tone of the show that I've seen so far. I certainly identify with it more than Queer as Folk and whatever other gay programming is around. Although, still would rather watch RPDR probably.

Posted by: steve | Feb 26, 2014 1:32:03 PM