Afghanistan | Dogs | Military | News

U.S. Military Dog Taken as Prisoner of War in Afghanistan: VIDEO

Dog

Taliban forces in Afghanistan recently captured a military dog, a Belgian Malinois, in the first known instance of a dog being taken as a prisoner of war. Evidence of the captor was posted to Twitter this week by a known disseminator of Taliban propaganda, the WaPo reports:

A Taliban spokesman, Zabiullah Mujahid, said the dog was captured after a long firefight between coalition forces and Taliban fighters in the Alin Nigar district of Afghanistan’s Laghman province in late December.

“The mujahideen valorously put tough resistance against the troops for hours,” he said in a phone interview Thursday. The dog, he said, carries the rank of colonel and was outfitted with sophisticated electronic devices.

“The dog was of high significance to the Americans,” he said.

The U.S. military has confirmed that the dog was captured after it was attached to a British special forces unit. It wears a protective vest and carried rifles and a GPS device that Taliban fighters hold in the video.

The dog can be seen looking sheepish and confused in the video.

“I know for sure the handler is devastated,” [Kevin Dredden, a former Air Force dog handler and Afghanistan veteran] said, noting the tight bonds that handlers and military dogs forge.

Dogs are given ranks that make them senior to their handlers, a practice designed to ensure that the humans treat the animals with deference. They have a rank patch on their body armor.

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Quick, someone queue the Sarah Mclachlan music.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Feb 9, 2014 11:34:53 AM

2. @Dearcomrade: Do you really think this is funny? You're a sicko.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Feb 9, 2014 12:00:22 PM

3. Give me a break

Posted by: Will | Feb 9, 2014 12:09:38 PM

4. If there's a GPS, why don't they drone these creeps?

Posted by: David | Feb 9, 2014 12:11:40 PM

5. There's a reason the comments section of this blog are the laughing stock of the gayblog world.
    Andy puts together an excellent blog, every single day.
    Then the entrenched jerks go out of their way to ruin it.
    I didn't care for the knee-jerk banishment policies at Pam's one bit. It did, however keep this nonsense to a minimum.

Posted by: enough already | Feb 9, 2014 12:38:45 PM

6. Using animals in wars created by men. TSK .TSK.

Posted by: Andy Towlette | Feb 9, 2014 12:40:43 PM

7. "why don't they drone these creeps"?

Because we want the dog alive.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 9, 2014 12:41:21 PM

8. That poor dog. I have 2 Mals and this poor thing looks scared as hell. It looks like a female and if she's a purebred her ears should be standing straight up when focusing. This ones only popping half way up which is an indicator of her mental state. I'm going to go hug mine right now.

Posted by: John | Feb 9, 2014 12:49:55 PM

9. If that's an option, Randy, more power to them.

Posted by: David | Feb 9, 2014 1:30:56 PM

10. This pisses me off so bad!!!!! I wish I could do something but......I HATE THE TALEBAN

Posted by: Mark | Feb 9, 2014 1:49:13 PM

11. The poor pooch. How did the Brits lose him?

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 9, 2014 2:41:15 PM

12. @Enough Already: the gayblog world? Could you be more specific? It's not like I'm leaving Towleroad behind (it's been my primary source of information for years), but it'd be like to experience kindness in the comment section for once.

Posted by: topher | Feb 9, 2014 2:49:53 PM

13. The dog is distressed because it understands Farsi and his captors are arguing over the best way to prepare him for dinner.

Posted by: Dearcomrade | Feb 9, 2014 4:24:33 PM

14. ENOUGH ALREADY: I've said the same kind of thing here a bunch of times. No gay blog I've found compares to TR, but there are commonly a number of Debbie Downers, plus a cruddy comment system that doesn't ID commenters so one rotten apple can mulitply themselves into many. And steal other people's names, like mine for example.

Posted by: emjayay | Feb 9, 2014 5:45:03 PM

15. @Will Your jaw or your nose? Seems to me like you could use both. That being said, I hope somehow this poor scared dog is rescued. That photo gets me in the gut.

Posted by: Derek | Feb 9, 2014 6:09:31 PM

16. I can only hope the dog is not mistreated. Animals are innocent.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 9, 2014 9:38:37 PM

17. This happened a week ago and in all honesty a dog cannot be a POW. There's no trading anything for a dog during a war.

Posted by: anon | Feb 9, 2014 10:30:22 PM