Football (American) | Michael Sam | News | Sports

PGA Golfer Steve Elkington Tweets Homophobic Michael Sam Joke

Elkington M_sam

Steve Elkington an Australian pro golfer who plays on the PGA tour, decided it would be fun to crack a Michael Sam joke on Twitter this morning.

Tweeted Elkington:

"ESPN reporting Michael Sam is leading the handbag throw at NFL combine....No one else expected to throw today"

Elkington then tried to explain: "I'm for Sam I'm against ESPN telling me he's gay...." and had also tweeted earlier that "ESPN covering Michael Sam as a gay athlete is embarrassing ....."

Comments

1. More gross white authority syndrome...probably racist too...

Posted by: styler | Feb 25, 2014 2:11:47 PM

2. if I looked like Steve Elkington, I would do as little as possible to draw any attention to myself..

Posted by: Jay Phillips | Feb 25, 2014 2:13:05 PM

3. More FAT being racist/homophobic...no "big' surprise...

Posted by: styler | Feb 25, 2014 2:18:09 PM

4. Totally agree with @ Jay Phillips.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Feb 25, 2014 2:18:10 PM

5. This from an athlete whose hardest decision is which shade of chartreuse to sport at the country club each Thursday.

Posted by: dws | Feb 25, 2014 2:18:45 PM

6. i don't get it...

Posted by: abe | Feb 25, 2014 2:20:15 PM

7. yeah, dammit. Sam should stay in the closet and ESPN should help keep him there.....

Posted by: anon | Feb 25, 2014 2:23:12 PM

8. I don't get it either. Why would you throw a handbag?

Posted by: crispy | Feb 25, 2014 2:23:24 PM

9. Michael Sam could throw him through a handbag shop with his eyes closed. And not break a sweat.

Posted by: mike | Feb 25, 2014 2:29:59 PM

10. If Elkington is itching for a fight, let's put them both in the octagon and see which one emerges victorious.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 25, 2014 2:29:59 PM

11. Hilarious. Excuse me while I sew up my splitting sides.

Posted by: danswon | Feb 25, 2014 2:32:14 PM

12. UGLYYYYYYYYY! Inside and out!

Posted by: cheerleader | Feb 25, 2014 2:33:49 PM

13. I can appreciate a good racial or gay joke, but this one is just plain dumb. It's not remotely funny, even for a obligatory chuckle.

Posted by: Richard Harney | Feb 25, 2014 2:39:57 PM

14. "I'm for Sam I'm against ESPN telling me he's gay…."

Right. Then why heap ridicule in Sam for something ESPN did?

Posted by: JJ | Feb 25, 2014 2:42:23 PM

15. @ JAY PHILLIPS :

My thoughts exactly.

He looks like a bulldog eating porridge.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 25, 2014 2:44:48 PM

16. I didn't know Shrek changed his name and moved to Australia.

Posted by: Jonnycakes | Feb 25, 2014 2:46:03 PM

17. If you can look at what he said without a bias already, I actually don't know that you can say it was meant to be homophobic. I interpreted his comments as being that he is disgusted by the fact that ESPN and others are making more of a deal out of the fact that he is a gay athlete rather than just an athlete. We need to quit raising our pitchforks and torches every time someone says something that someone else with an agenda (i.e. Towleroad) labels as "anti-gay".

Posted by: wheelie81 | Feb 25, 2014 2:52:18 PM

18. I don't Tweet but people who do should ask him if he's willing to say these things to Michael Sam's face.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 25, 2014 2:52:39 PM

19. Before this gets deleted:

"Stephen John Elkington (born 8 December 1962) is a homophobic Australian professional golfer who plays on the PGA Tour."

Posted by: Kev C | Feb 25, 2014 2:53:03 PM

20. "I'm for Sam I'm against ESPN telling me he's gay…."

This "explanation" is worse than the original tweet, which probably wouldn't be considered offensive at all if it had been actually funny.

But even worse are the bitchy commenters on Towleroad calling him out for his physical appearance. Keep it classy, boys.

Posted by: Zell | Feb 25, 2014 2:57:45 PM

21. Ya know, if I had a mug like that, I would not draw unnecessary attention to myself.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Feb 25, 2014 3:02:35 PM

22. Look at Steve Elkington.

Look at Michael Sam.

Which man would YOU rather be?

Enough said.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 25, 2014 3:11:47 PM

23. Oh, boy. Just think how pissed Elkington is gonna be when he sees ESPN playing video of Michael Sam being black.

Posted by: FFS | Feb 25, 2014 3:12:41 PM

24. What's ironic is that Michael Sam and, really, most gay men, would destroy this guy physically in any and every sense. I don't really find offense in what he said---too ridiculous to care about.

Posted by: Francis | Feb 25, 2014 3:18:17 PM

25. He has a "history". He's a genetic defect.

Controversies

In December 2013, Elkington was widely condemned for remarks he made on Twitter following a fatal helicopter crash in Glasgow's Clutha pub. He wrote: "Helicopter crashes into Scottish pub… Locals report no beer was spilled." The tweet was quickly deleted but not before being shared by users of the social networking site. The comment provoked a furious backlash from his fellow players and commentators alike.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 25, 2014 3:24:06 PM