Bill Cunningham | New York | News

NYT Fashion Icon Bill Cunningham Snaps Foolish Men Leaping Slush Puddles in Dress Shoes: VIDEO

Cunningham

Nobody was more jubilant about New York City's recent snowstorm than NYT man-on-the-street fashion icon Bill Cunningham who planted himself on various slush-laden corners of Manhattan to giggle and take wonderful pictures of men who refuse to put on boots as they leap, splash, and slip in the frozen filth.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't think this is funny. This is sort of mean-spirited. While Bill Cunningham was taking the photos of men slushing their shoes in the water & ice, I would have loved to see little children secretly shooting Bill with BB guns and we could all have laughed at that, too.

Posted by: will | Feb 11, 2014 1:15:54 PM

2. He must be frantic for good creative ideas.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 11, 2014 1:18:59 PM

3. I thought it was funny. Especially the photos of the guys who's shoes you could obviously see filling up with slush.
    Fancy shoes and a suit do not make for an intelligent man.

Posted by: James in Albany | Feb 11, 2014 1:25:42 PM

4. mean-spirited? like when the country was laughing at the atlanta traffic jam created by bone-headed government officials? i guess it's only funny if it isn't local...

Posted by: northalabama | Feb 11, 2014 1:26:07 PM

5. A lot of those guys were wearing sneakers - how does he know they're not changing their shoes. I dress business casual at work and routinely wear my sneakers in (because I have a relatively long walk), and change into dress shoes I keep at the office. On a day like he's showing, I would also have a dry pair of socks. I still wouldn't want to walk through the puddles and slush, but I would also have a dry option when I got to work.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Feb 11, 2014 1:31:24 PM

6. Even if you're wearing sneakers, they're going to get soaked.

That's why you wear rubber boots. As the dialogue pointed out, only one woman wasn't wearing appropriate footwear for dealing with slush and only two-thirds of the men had the similar preparations.

This isn't mean-spirited. This is stating the obvious: Wear appropriate clothes for the weather.

Posted by: Rrhain | Feb 11, 2014 1:40:16 PM

7. No, it's definitely funny. This is all about ego. Wear some boots during the wintertime. The sacrifice of not looking so 1% or stylish might just keep your feet dry. Who would of thought?

Posted by: Pablo | Feb 11, 2014 1:53:49 PM

8. It's hilarious. Lighten up you miserable queens.

Posted by: KM | Feb 11, 2014 2:15:26 PM

9. Typical mouth breather. Just shows ANYBODY can get into college nowadays.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 11, 2014 2:20:18 PM

10. There's more snow on the way! Wed into Thurs for NYC 5-8 inches. No where near a record winter, but a change of pace from the recent past.

Posted by: anon | Feb 11, 2014 2:25:28 PM

11. Would HAVE, Pablo.

Posted by: Alex | Feb 11, 2014 2:32:55 PM

12. You spend anytime in NYC or anywhere in the northeast in the dead of winter, outside, you should have a real (no it fashion) winter parka and of course boots. And a hat....a winter hat. And gloves! Face mask optional. I've seen people on extremely old, windy days withno hat and gloves, boar shoes/no socks, and a jacket you'd wear on cool day in late October. Amazing. You spend more than 5 minutes outdoors you betterbe prepared a dressed appropriately.

Posted by: ratbastard | Feb 11, 2014 2:55:30 PM

13. It's funny because we can all relate. And I don't live in NYC or wear suits very often. Get over yourselves.

Posted by: Marc | Feb 11, 2014 3:09:02 PM

14. It was funny to watch not just well dressed men but everyone diving off the sidewalk into a river of slush, even as your own shoes filled with ice water. On second thought, scratch that -- it was especially funny to see suits and ties do it. (There's a fetish out there for everyone.) What can yo do but laugh and carry three extra pair of socks in your pocket?

Posted by: Ar B | Feb 11, 2014 4:37:32 PM

15. I see these suit wearing idiots all the time- they are in the same league as the guys who refuse to wear hats or coats in this hellish winter.

Posted by: jarago | Feb 11, 2014 6:12:45 PM

16. It was cute, and made me smile. Is it these men trying to tough it? And funny that in doing so they perform little street ballets.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Feb 11, 2014 8:34:05 PM

17. Mean spirited? Some of you really need to up your dosage. What's it like to be miserable?

Posted by: Kevin B | Feb 11, 2014 10:36:46 PM

18. I love it living in NYC has it's bad/ good moments.. This is a good one because everyone is the same person trying to get across that street

Posted by: TonyC | Feb 12, 2014 1:47:06 AM

19. I used to be one of those guys and then I wised up. Keep a pair of loafers at the office to change into and Bean boots back and forth.

Posted by: NwYrker | Feb 12, 2014 8:23:19 AM