Advertising | Video

Ford Skewers Cadillac's '1 Percent' Ad With 'Locally Grown' Parody: VIDEO

Ford_cadillac

During the Oscars and the Sochi Olympics, Cadillac aired an ad in which actor Neal McDonough strolled around an expensive house praising Americans for tirelessly working, buying stuff and creating their own luck. He then drives away in a 2014 Cadillac ELR range-extended electric luxury coupe.

The ad annoyed some viewers who see it “as ugly American chest-thumping and an apologia for the 1 percent.”

However, Ford just released an ad for its Ford C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid car mimicking Cadillac’s to great effect. Business Insider  describes its differences:

“[It features] Pasho Murray, a real woman who founded Detroit Dirt, a company that turns waste into compost and sells it to people who want to create urban gardens. Murray looks out at a landfill and wonders why Americans aren’t more like other countries who buy locally grown food. She gives her speech while walking through a local restaurant where she collects food scraps for compost. She says Americans are starting to get more food from local markets because they’re “crazy entrepreneurs trying to make the world better.”

Although both ads reek of self-righteousness, Ford’s delightfully skewers the upper-class pretensions of the Cadillac ad while suggesting that community is a better virtue than conspicuous consumption.

Compare the videos AFTER THE JUMP…

First, here’s Cadillac’s ad.

And below is Ford’s ad:

Comments

1. If the guy in the Caddy ad actually took the month of August off maybe he wouldn't be such a d*uche

Posted by: Jim | Mar 31, 2014 2:06:50 PM

2. Grow a job already....Does there have to be an opinion on everything???...

Posted by: styler | Mar 31, 2014 2:15:46 PM

3. Very good.

Posted by: Carlie | Mar 31, 2014 2:17:19 PM

4. I dunno, Styler. I mean you (and by you, I of course mean Rick) insist on adding your opinion on minorities, women, effeminacy and trans issues under dozens of usernames dozens of times a day on numerous posts. You seem to have an opinion on most things. You're just too much of a coward to put a face to those opinions.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 31, 2014 2:18:27 PM

5. Rick, if you're going to impersonate me, don't be lazy about it. If you're trying to convince others that you and I are the same person, you're failing. Linking my name to the same address you link your Styler character is so transparent.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 31, 2014 2:25:32 PM

6. Rick, if you're going to impersonate me, don't be lazy about it. Unless you're trying to convince people that you and I are the same person (that's the only explanation I can think of for you linking my name using the same link you use for Styler). In which case, you're similarly failing.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 31, 2014 2:27:09 PM

7. I guess the first comment went through. Whoops.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 31, 2014 2:27:44 PM

8. Fkn Hilarious! "Why do I work so hard? For This? For Dirt?" Haha I love it! Xo's BTW the guy in the Caddy ad, Hot!

Posted by: AnthonyR | Mar 31, 2014 2:28:47 PM

9. I like the Ford ad better… kinda genius. But I'd rather have the Cadillac. N'est pas?

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 31, 2014 2:32:52 PM

10. Great riposte, Ford. The original Cadillac ad was indeed infuriating - if Neal McDonough's character was the master of his domain, he should have pioneered a surgery to rectify those sloping shoulders. (Did he finish puberty?)

Posted by: Håkon | Mar 31, 2014 2:33:25 PM

11. I don't really think Pasho's ad reeks of self righteousness.

Posted by: Adam | Mar 31, 2014 2:34:12 PM

12. No kidding, Hakon. The feminine shoulders were the first thing I noticed about the actor, and his flat ass was the second.

Posted by: Sergio | Mar 31, 2014 2:37:55 PM

13. The ad has effectively put me off of Neal McDonough for LIFE. And that's a shame, cuz I used to dig him. The vomit rising in my throat the first time I saw that ad.....I can't.

Ford - well met. Now get back to opening more plants in America so more Americans can work, plz.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 31, 2014 3:05:23 PM

14. McDonough is a right-wing Catholic, so I guess that ad shouldn't be too surprising. You can read about it on his Wikipedia page.

Posted by: Kevin K. | Mar 31, 2014 3:08:10 PM

15. Had Cadillac used one of these 1-per-centers, would the commercial be OK?

Net worth:
    Tim Gill - $400 million
    Chris Hughes - $700 million
    Jann Wenner - $700 million
    Michael Kors - $780 million
    David Geffen - $5.5 billion

Posted by: WeHo | Mar 31, 2014 3:36:39 PM

16. WEHO, the choice of actor was irrelevant in the Cadillac ad, but I'm glad to see you wasted so much time cultivating a list of rich liberals.

Posted by: theo | Mar 31, 2014 3:40:43 PM

17. As a side note, the home in which the Cadillac ad was filmed is in the Hollywood Hills, just down the hill from my house. After tearing down two houses and spending about two years building the home, the developer put it on the market for $28.8 million. It sat on the market for month after month after endless month. Until they finally withdrew the listing a few weeks ago, unable to sell it. I thought that was kinda funny.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 31, 2014 3:45:11 PM

18. WEHO misses the point entirely by listing a number of "liberal wealthy people" who consistently are on the right (left) side of history. The folks who say "I'm wealthy! i don't need the tax breaks! the working class do!"

this will be lost on WEHO. but that's OK. WEHO is not a real person of worth, only a miserable troll who will die alone under his bridge.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 31, 2014 3:46:23 PM

19. If only Ford made cars as good as they make ads.

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 31, 2014 3:56:04 PM

20. Leave it to Villareal to mischaracterize the second ad as reeking of self-righteousness.

Is there anything that he can't or won't insult, no matter how benign or outright good?

And Pasho Murray does an excellent job.

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Mar 31, 2014 4:09:14 PM

21. I liked Neal McDonough in Star Trek: First Contact. Ironically, in the novelization of his character, he's gay and has a boyfriend. Of course, the novels don't count as canon.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 31, 2014 4:44:35 PM

22. Neal McDonough is a strict catholic
    and turns down anything that might be racy or too sexy. He doesnt even do sex scenes. I learned this while searching for nude pics of him.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 31, 2014 4:56:10 PM

23. Ford thinks we forgot they sponsored the bigot parade.

Ford can think again.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 31, 2014 5:58:28 PM

24. @JEFF: Ewwwwwwwwwwww...why would you want to see Neal McDonough naked?! Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 31, 2014 8:09:05 PM

25. Interestingly, GM Cadillac takes a government bailout and runs a "your own bootstraps" one percenter commercial.
    Ford struggles on it's own and sides with the 47 percent.

Posted by: woody | Mar 31, 2014 9:39:15 PM