Liza Minnelli | News | Oscars

Liza Minnelli's Best (and Worst) Moments from Last Night's Oscars: VIDEO, PHOTOS

Minnelli

Because the world always needs more Liza Minnelli!

Liza Minnelli came to the Oscars last night with Lorna and Joey Luft, Judy Garland's other children, to see their late mother honored in a tribute to the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz.

She wore "classic Halston" with a matching blue streak in her hair. People noticed.

The night had a few (but not enough) Liza moments, beginning with the stunned reaction when Ellen DeGeneres compared her to a drag queen:

The WaPo reports:

“Hello to the best Liza Minnelli impersonator I’ve ever seen,” she said — to Minnelli herself. “Good job, sir.”

In the live audience: … crickets.

And on Twitter: raw outrage. Particularly among members of the LGBT community who considered DeGeneres’ joke “transphobic.”

Liza seemed a bit stunned, though apparently Lorna thought it was hilarious. Liza has no problem with drag queens, however.

841776303

Then Liza tried to get in on the record-breaking Twitter selfie. Didn't work.

As some Twitter users noted: "We Are All Liza Minnelli Getting Shut Out Of The Ellen Selfie."

Tweeted Harry Clayton-Wright: "POOR LIZA. It's just not her night. #Oscars2014"

Oscar_selfie

No Liza. See the making of the selfie HERE.

She did get her own selfie though:

And when it was time for Liza, Lorna, and Joey to stand up and be recognized before the tribute to their mother, you could have blinked and missed it. Why they were not allowed to come out and introduce the segment is unclear.

Though she did get some respect from Piers Morgan out on the red carpet beforehand.

Piers_minnelli

Liza needs to be a fixture at every Oscars.

Comments

1. Ellen was so rude to her with that remark...disgusting....

Posted by: styler | Mar 3, 2014 11:09:45 AM

2. I thought Ellen's jokes were terrific and there was no malice behind them. Sometimes we need to laugh, even if at ourselves. Thanks for a great night Ellen! And WTF, John Travolta?

Posted by: Ted | Mar 3, 2014 11:19:56 AM

3. Yes, so rude! Because Liza has no connection with the gay community, has never laughed at herself, and clearly no sense of humor...NOT! Get a grip!

Posted by: Kenneth | Mar 3, 2014 11:25:46 AM

4. Huh. We had a room full of mostly gays, and it got a huge laugh.

Posted by: Jamie in Las Vegas | Mar 3, 2014 11:35:23 AM

5. Poor Liza.

Posted by: Mitch | Mar 3, 2014 11:38:13 AM

6. I thought Ellen's joke would have been funny in the right context. It was kind of a low blow and it stung more because it was a bunch of straight people laughing at the joke. Had it been ribbing Liza while she was getting an award or in a crowd of mostly gays it would have been a different story.

Posted by: Pablo | Mar 3, 2014 11:38:49 AM

7. Exactly! I thought she did pretty good compared to her day job...... in which she is rarely if almost never funny.

As to the transphobic charge- :rolls eyes:
    Honestly- I hope some trans people start rising up and fighting back against over-censorship. Being kind and respectful is important- but really, you don't want the main image/idea of trans people to be that they're ridiculously uptight, unfunny, and oversensitive.

Also.... I really fail to see how the joke would be transphobic. I really do... maybe someone can explain the offense to me. It was a drag joke- without even mentioning the word "drag."

Posted by: Ranju | Mar 3, 2014 11:40:50 AM

8. The joke was kinda funny. Keep it together Minnelli...she does not appear well. Next.

Posted by: Brad Doles | Mar 3, 2014 11:41:43 AM

9. Let me walk this one through. Transgender/transsexual people are not trying to impersonate someone, but be their authentic selves.

Cross dressers, particularly those entertaining, on the other hand, do impersonate others, especially celebrities.

Ellen's joke was trans-what?

Posted by: William | Mar 3, 2014 11:43:12 AM

10. By that last comment, I meant to say that I didn't read transphobia or trans-misogyny in Ellen's joke.

As for Liza, she's been around long enough, she gets the joke.

Posted by: William | Mar 3, 2014 11:44:42 AM

11. Pearl Clutchers, please take a number and have a seat in the Faux Outrage lobby and someone will be with you shortly.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Mar 3, 2014 11:47:52 AM

12. You neglected to include Liza's odd moment where she grabbed Lupita Nyong'o to hug her after she won the Oscar. WTF, Liza? It's not about you. Let the woman get up on stage.

Let's restate the rule: Those allowed to hug an Oscar winner when the winner is announced are (1) others involved in the same film and (2)other nominees for the same award and (3) family. That's it.

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Mar 3, 2014 11:56:24 AM

13. Ellen's joke is not transphobic. She says "impersonator." I strongly think an actual transgender person would receive empathy and a friend in Ellen.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Mar 3, 2014 12:01:22 PM

14. I love seeing Liza, hell I remember when she was in the movie theaters in "Cabaret" and her "Liza With a Z" was the big Emmy winner. Pissed me off on another board when someone asks "Whats the big deal about her?" LOL, we all age. Who else but Cher does the world know on a first name basis.

Posted by: MIke | Mar 3, 2014 12:11:35 PM

15. I just feel sad for Liza, like any other star remembering their days of glory, life is cruel for stars. I wish her the best.

Posted by: Matt27 | Mar 3, 2014 12:18:15 PM

16. trans people get offended if a flea farts

Posted by: Moz's | Mar 3, 2014 12:20:39 PM

17. I had heard all week that Liza, Lorna and Sid were all going to be there for a special segment; it was disappointing that it was nothing more than a nod and the butt of a joke.

I though Ellen was too busy trying to have a party with the people there and not really delivering to the billions watching around the world. Enough with the selfies, already. Move along.

She, in a word, sucked. I thought she was better during the Jimmy Kimmel intro at 12:30.

Posted by: Rad | Mar 3, 2014 12:21:15 PM

18. If you think Ellen was rude to Liza, do NOT watch South Park.

Posted by: TheSeer | Mar 3, 2014 12:24:58 PM

19. Oh and btw, Liza was a total trainwreck.

Posted by: TheSeer | Mar 3, 2014 12:30:36 PM

20. Saddest of all was the quick cut away from Liza, Lorna and Joey when they were introduced.

The person who call the camera shots (Director) should be fired. The camera was on the three of them for what seemed like a second. I could only see that Liza wore blue and Lorna wore red, Joey did not even register. The camera then quick cut to some people clapping, it was disgraceful and an insult to the viewers who wanted to see Judy Garlands three children.

In other news, John Travolta really screwed up, the selfie was fun and the pizza gag not all that bad.

Oh yeah does anyone have the phone number for Channing Tatum, Chris Hemsworth, Brad Pitt or Chris Evans? Man-oh-Man!

PS - Isn't it interesting how all of Hollywood seems so lovey-dovey on Oscar night. When in fact the movie industry is basically a cut throat business...

Posted by: Max | Mar 3, 2014 12:35:29 PM

21. Ellen was Very Rude!

and she was boring and NOT FUNNY!

Canned laughs- trying to make it work

I wonder if she would like it if she was called a old bull dyke?

Posted by: Deen | Mar 3, 2014 12:47:35 PM

22. I'm sorry PABLO, the joke was only funny if there were no straight people in the room? It can ONLY be funny to gay people? Why can't the joke just be funny period? Do you know how silly you sound? By your reasoning only gay people should be allowed to watch Will & Grace. Ban straight people from watching, they can't be in on the jokes! Byt the way, there were PLENTY of gay people in that room last night.

Newsflash: she made a joke about a female impersonator, not about someone who is trans. There is a big difference. Lighten up people (I'm looking in your direction too Pablo).

Posted by: BETTY | Mar 3, 2014 12:55:16 PM

23. Ellen's joke was funny and the audience did laugh as did I. I think Liza has enough of a sense of humor not to be offended. The hug between Liza and Lupita was sweet: a legend acknowledging an up-and-comer. And female impersonation has nothing to do with being transgender.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 3, 2014 12:58:44 PM

24. Why does it appear that whenever I see Liza recently she is shaking uncontrollably? Does anyone know if she is suffering from something? Would be sad...

Posted by: Joe | Mar 3, 2014 1:00:46 PM

25. I don't know what Oscars simulcast everyone is talking about. All I could find last night was a 3 hour Samsung commercial.

Posted by: David | Mar 3, 2014 1:10:01 PM