Brendan Eich | News

Mozilla Releases Diversity Statement in Response to Anger Over CEO's Prop 8 Donation

Yesterday Towleroad reported that newly-appointed Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich was a donor to California's anti-gay Prop 8 campaign. Developers Hampton Catlin and his husband Michael have decided to boycott the Mozilla community entirely.

FirefoxLate yesterday, Mozilla, which makes the Firefox web browser and the Thunderbird email client, released a statement, presumably in response to the boycott.

It reads:

Mozilla has always been deeply committed to honoring diversity in sexual orientation and beliefs within our staff and community, across all the project’s activities. One concrete example of this is in our health benefit policies. Mozilla provides the same level of benefits and advantages to domestic partners as we do to married couples across the United States, even in states where it is not mandated. For those who choose life insurance, voluntary spouse coverage extends to domestic partners, including same-sex couples. With thousands of people spanning many countries and cultures, diversity is core to who we are, and we’re united in our mission to keep the Web open and accessible for everyone.

Will you be changing your web browsing client in response to Eich's appointment?

Comments

1. yep. thanks for reporting this story.

no excuse for bringing bigots into boardrooms.

Posted by: Bob Burns | Mar 26, 2014 7:32:36 AM

2. Ya know, bigots gotta work too. If he does his job and keeps his trap shut, I don't care. But if this man ever gets vocally discriminatory, like the Chick-fil-A guy or the Duck people, then it will be a problem.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2014 7:42:24 AM

3. If Mozilla had behaved appointed someone who then behaved in a way that was discriminatory towards the LGBT community, then I'd understand. But in this case, it is, as far as I'm aware the personal beliefs held by someone who happens to be the CEO. He made a private donation.

While I disagree with his view, I do respect his right to hold it.

Posted by: RyanK | Mar 26, 2014 7:43:59 AM

4. nope, switching browsers though I've used firefox for years.
    they did not condemn his donation. i won't support companies that think it's ok to appoint bigots as their ceos.
    as far as i'm concerned, he's no better than dan cathy and I won't use his products.

Posted by: woody | Mar 26, 2014 7:49:25 AM

5. Did they actually think we would forget the viciousness of Prop 8? To his apologists: did you forget being labeled as child molesters by the campaign he not only supported but put the Mozilla name on record with his financial support? You cannot get more public with your disapproval - and it's not just another "disagreement" on policy.

Posted by: freak | Mar 26, 2014 7:49:47 AM

6. Many in the tech community, including me, believe that Mozilla has lost its way. They've made several bone-headed decisions lately, including their recent plan to start displaying advertising on the start page of the Firefox browser, and now the appointment of this CEO. For those that say it was his private decision, and what matters is how he behaves on the job, would they still believe the same if he were a racist? A Neo-Nazi? A misogynist? It all boils down to the same issue: he doesn't believe that we are human beings that are equal, and deserving of equal rights and respect. If that's what he believes, deep down, how can he possibly totally isolate that dark corner of his soul from every day to day decision and activity as he leads this organization?

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2014 7:53:45 AM

7. "But if this man ever gets vocally discriminatory"

Haven't you heard? Political donations are considered "speech".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Mar 26, 2014 7:55:33 AM

8. Hatezilla

Posted by: litper | Mar 26, 2014 7:57:01 AM

9. Just because it might be a personal held position, and thus your "right", does not mean it comes without some consequences. Just as his donation/support of bigotry caused others suffering, he should not be without feeling some consequences of his acts. In choosing him as their CEO, Mozilla has chosen to make him their figurehead, their leader. If they don't agree with bigotry, don't make one your head. I'm migrating to other browsers.

Posted by: Reggie777 | Mar 26, 2014 7:59:51 AM

10. Eh. I use Chrome

Posted by: Joe | Mar 26, 2014 8:02:35 AM

11. Nice corporate statement, but I would still be interested in Eich explaining his behavior then and whether he would still personally support efforts like Prop 8 today.

Posted by: Albert | Mar 26, 2014 8:04:13 AM

12. I've been using Chrome for years.

Posted by: Brian W. | Mar 26, 2014 8:04:29 AM

13. I'm a chrome user, but I do agree with the above comments... reardless if he made the donations privately, he is a bigot and that 'deeply held belief' I'm sure he espouses to his friends (and I'm sure he has 'gay friends' like they ALL do) would no doubt spread throughout his actions at work and home. He is free to donate to whomever, but a company needs to choose its board members who hold the same values as the company states... he does not.

Posted by: Dan McLellan | Mar 26, 2014 8:24:23 AM

14. Agree with Mike 100%...We are constantly reminded to be careful what you post online because employers, University administrators,etc. are referring to social media posts when considering the candidate and many loose out because of their posts in their "personal lives"....the same should hold true in this case....he has proven to be a bigot with his personal history of rhetoric & posts - they (Mozilla) knew it, but still appointed him....deleting Mozilla from all 6 machines at home & work.

Posted by: JPaul | Mar 26, 2014 8:30:44 AM

15. If change browsers and Mozilla has no idea as to why, then have I accomplished anything? They sure made a poor choice in hiring a bigot, and I don't want to give them my business. Is Chrome the only alternative? I haven't used IE in decades.

Posted by: Ken | Mar 26, 2014 8:43:07 AM

16. Microsoft and Google have made contributions in support of marriage equality. I'm switching to Google Chrome. It's a easy choice.

Posted by: Paul | Mar 26, 2014 8:50:42 AM

17. Another consideration: how competent a business can Brendan Eich be? It shows terrible long-term planning on his part, to donate to prejudice as society was learning to rebuke and reject that prejudice.

If he truly couldn't see how his donation would have negative repercussions in the long term, then he isn't qualified to lead Mozilla, or any large business.

Someone competent for the role of CEO would have looked at the long-term and seen that backing prejudice would be bad for his own reputation and that of any business that put him in a leadership role.

Posted by: D E Sandberg | Mar 26, 2014 8:56:09 AM

18. I use Chrome.

Posted by: Gigi | Mar 26, 2014 8:57:09 AM

19. No. I agree w a previous post on this report. It's getting sort of Million Mommish where every little thing is an outrage. Save energy for the big stuff. The little stuff will submit.

Posted by: Dixichuk | Mar 26, 2014 9:02:08 AM

20. I ditched Firefox a long time ago as Chrome is far superior. I still have it on my computer but that problem will be rectified momentarily.

Posted by: Derrick | Mar 26, 2014 9:13:16 AM

21. Still going to continue using Firefox.
    Prefer it to Safari and Chrome.

Posted by: CGD | Mar 26, 2014 9:15:30 AM

22. Dear Mozilla Publicity Department,
    If Mozilla is so "committed to honoring diversity in sexual orientation and beliefs within our staff and community, across all the project’s activities" then why did you appoint a new CEO who is anti-gay?

Posted by: mike | Mar 26, 2014 9:22:40 AM

23. Those opposed, do you still use Manhunt? Have you gone back to shopping at Target? Not only are political donations speech, but corporations are people (supposedly) As long as the company behaves and does not change their POV, then no, I will not change. He is one person, one employee, and I'm sure there are employees of Microsoft and Google that are against our rights as well. We don't judge the company by these private actions. IMHO

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2014 9:28:55 AM

24. @Dixichuk

Another way to look at it is that we, as a society, use positive and negative reinforcement to define how we expect people to treat other members of society. If we see members of society treating minority groups as "less than", we have three choices. We can speak up and tell them that isn't how we want our society to function. We can encourage them, as Putin is doing in Russia right now, and as Hitler did in the 1930s and 1940s. Or, we can do nothing. We can let things slide. But as Desmond Tutu has said, "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." Saying nothing is silent encouragement.

I always wonder, if, deep down, people like you actually hate themselves.

If Mozilla had appointed a CEO that gave $1000 to the KKK, would you still shrug it off? What if this were before Loving v. Virginia, and he had given $1000 to a campaign to keep interracial marriage illegal. Would you still shrug it off?

I hope you wouldn't.

Here's the thing. If you would find that behavior unacceptable, I believe you need to ask yourself why you see a difference with what he actually did.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 26, 2014 9:29:30 AM

25. Sorry Firefox but I will not help make money for a company that has a CEO that will use it to denied the LGBT community equality.

Posted by: art | Mar 26, 2014 9:31:55 AM