'Kinky Boots' Star Billy Porter Lends His Pipes to the 'Dreamgirls' Classic 'I Am Changing': FIRST LISTEN

Porter

Kinky Boots star Billy Porter is set to release a third solo album called Back on Broadway and Towleroad is happy bring you a first listen to his cover of the Dreamgirls classic "I Am Changing".

Porter takes on nine other Broadway tunes on the album, which includes a duet with another of his Kinky colleagues, Cyndi Lauper. The two take on a version of "Happy Days/Get Happy."

The album comes out on April 15, so there's something to look forward to on tax day. Until then, enjoy this.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The widget is not working for me. But I can't find this track on the Soundcloud site either. Is there some other link?

Posted by: Randy | Mar 19, 2014 1:41:25 PM

2. Saw Kinky Boots almost a year ago with Billy Porter's understudy (who was teriffic), then saw it again last night with Billy Porter. He was just tremendous!!
    If you have the chance to see the show,GO!!

Posted by: Alan | Mar 19, 2014 3:04:22 PM

3. artless

Posted by: David in NYC | Mar 19, 2014 3:22:17 PM

4. Just saw Kinky Boots with him too (he does it on Saturdays still I believe) PHENOMENAL!!!

Posted by: Strepsi | Mar 19, 2014 7:31:50 PM

5. No audio. :-(

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Mar 19, 2014 10:46:12 PM

6. Wasn't expecting his jazzy take on this song, but it grew on me.
    Search YouTube for Sam Harris's version - amazing!

Posted by: Jon | Mar 20, 2014 3:11:13 AM

7. I really hate it when singers completely change the melody of a song and still call the song by same name. This is fine Billy, but it's not "I Am Changing". The composer wrote I Am Changing with a particular melody. Another composer wrote this one. If you thought this was an improvement on the original, that's fine, but It's a different song completely and thus should have a different title.

Posted by: Tony | Mar 20, 2014 12:32:35 PM

8. I feel I need to clarify myself...I am huge fan of Billy Porter. His talents and artistry are huge and astonishing. Truly a great singer and performer who has contributed to the artistic community infinitum. My post above really wasn't about Billy (the great Tony winner)...it's more about raising the issue about staying true to a composer's written melody and inflecting your own interpretation. It's art, so maybe there isn't a right or wrong answer.....after re-reading my prior post, I see that it could be seen as a criticism of the greatness of Mr. Porter. For that, I feel so bad. Billy Porter is a great artist, humanitarian, and icon for us all, especially the countless young people who rightly admire him and are inspired by him, me included. I apologize to Billy Porter, truly and completely. I was just talking about the musical debate that often goes on, again maybe not a right or wrong answer. But again, I am so inspired by Mr. Porter and feel is only at the beginning and hope he will grace us for many years with his gifts that heal, inspire hope, and provide joy to millions. God Bless.

Posted by: Tony | Mar 21, 2014 12:16:43 AM

9. OH YES BILLY!
    He is such an amazing singer! I have seen him in Kinky Boots 5 times on Broadway, there are even rumors that the show will go to London with Billy as Lola again. If so I may have to buy a plane ticket!

I totally agree with Tony above - Billy does bring joy to millions!

Posted by: Tracy Kinky Booty | Dec 11, 2014 8:43:04 AM