Florida | Fraternities | News

Pledge Says UCF Fraternity Rejected Him After Discovering He's Gay: VIDEO

Frat

A University of Central Student says that the Beta Theta Phi fraternity rejected him after discovering that he is gay, Knight News reports:

In a YouTube video posted last Thursday, sophomore George Dumont claims he was “balled,” or removed, from Beta Theta Pi’s Fall 2013 pledge process five days before initiation because of his sexual orientation. Dumont would later go on to file a report with the UCF Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life detailing the allegations.

In the video, Dumont claims to “have done some digging” and provides a screenshot of a text conversation in what he says is between himself and a brother of Beta Theta Pi.

He asks: “Was there a reason why?”

“They were ‘uncomfortable’ with things that were said. Aka they are homophobic. It’s disgusting and caused a late night meeting with me almost pulling my own pin,” the text reads.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The more I hear about the state of Florida in the news, it seems like the people down there are just so dumb. They don't seem to realize that it's the 21st Century!

Posted by: David From Canada | Apr 20, 2014 1:09:29 PM

2. David, that's true, but most U.S. fraternities are pretty dumb no matter where they're located. Which is not to say they some don't have some smart members, but groups of young men can do lots of dumb things together, especially when drinking. I'd never want to be a member of one---and if I did, I'd certainly not want to be a member of one that didn't want me! Better he finds out they're homophobic now than later---say, after he's joined, paid the dues/fees, and (possibly) moved into the frat house.

Though it's hard to imagine how he could have missed the frat's homophobia before this.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 20, 2014 1:28:47 PM

3. maybe they didn't want him because he's a crybaby... just a thought.

Posted by: TBD | Apr 20, 2014 1:50:36 PM

4. Sad to hear, but I'm not outraged. I'm glad he called them out though (if what he says is true) Fraternities are one of the most racist, homophobic, and sexist institutions around. He should find a progressive one.

Posted by: Billy | Apr 20, 2014 2:33:28 PM

5. Actually a member of BTP, in my time in the house (midwest farm and buy-bull belt) it turned out that 3 of us were gay. Of course that was the 70's, things have changed a lot there, the school is welcoming to all (including a GLBT welcoming by one of the professors) when I went back a few years ago for the last of my professor's retirement party. I really think that the view of the frat boys has more to do how they were raised. And UCF is in a state of general hatred except most of Miami/Fort Lauderdale. I have to apologize for members of BTP acting like jerks; however I have to agree, I wouldn't want to belong to a group who doesn't want me.

Posted by: steven | Apr 20, 2014 3:17:12 PM

6. Oops, forgot one, make that 4. My pledge father also.

Posted by: steven | Apr 20, 2014 3:19:04 PM

7. "The University of Central Student"?

Posted by: Keith in SF | Apr 20, 2014 3:41:20 PM

8. Joe Jervis' alma mater

Posted by: Raybob | Apr 20, 2014 3:54:56 PM

9. Are gay men supposed to get outraged now that a fraternity kicked someone out for being gay? IT'S THEIR PEROGATIVE. Can a fraternity reject an evangelical Christian who's slightly homophobic?

We ARE turning into real crybabies and sissies. "I have every right to be in the fraternity of my choice! People have no RIGHT to dislike me, a gay man, for any reason beause I'm oppressed!"

We are constantly turning ourselves into Jesus, crucified by an intolerant society day in and day out. The baker won't serve me a cake. My Church refuses to say I'm NORMAL! The guy at Apple needs to fired because he gave $50 to Mitt Romney who is for traditional marriage only.

Posted by: will | Apr 20, 2014 4:16:41 PM

10. will: You are totally missing the point. The fraternity has all the right to reject him, but not for being gay, the same way it has no right to be rejected for being black or latino.

Of course reading the demagogy of the rest of your post it's impossible to you to understand the basic point he has

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 20, 2014 4:30:33 PM

11. Delta Lambda Phi (the gay/bi fraternity) has been around since 1987. If they don't have one at UCF, maybe it's time to start your own chapter. http://dlp.org/

Posted by: Ruddigore | Apr 20, 2014 4:39:06 PM

12. @Will = homophobic right-wing trans troll

Posted by: litper | Apr 20, 2014 5:04:31 PM

13. So instead of standing up to or marginalizing a discriminatory/exclusionary group we simply want to be one of them???

I avoided the whole Greek process at my very Southern/very Bible Belt college but later came to appreciate how cool some (definitely not all) could be. That said what would a group of straight horn dogs have really shared with me? In my mid twenties I became very good friends with one of those guys but it would not have been a natural relationship in college.

Posted by: robroy | Apr 20, 2014 6:31:50 PM

14. Kinda cute and cuddly looking. Pretty blue eyes, too (I'm talking about Mr. Dumont)! Anyone who rejects him is an IDIOT.

Hope he finds a fraternal organization who DOES accept him, the way he is. He may have had bad vibes with this experience, however, there are more accepting, caring people out there. Don't give up, George. And, a big ol' hug to ya!

Posted by: Rod Roddy lookalike | Apr 20, 2014 6:36:50 PM

15. first of all, Florida especially Orlando, is a cesspool. Second, the video seemed a bit disingenuous - almost like they were excited at the possibility (and likelihood) of getting media attention... maybe this will look good on his resume for grad school

Posted by: steve | Apr 20, 2014 6:42:15 PM

16. In my fraternity, several of us were gay. Most of us were open about it, and everyone seemed fine about it. When you pledge a fraternity, there is a good chance that you're not going to get in. Just because you "do all the right things" doesn't ensure that you'll get initiated. You have to be liked as well. If the majority of the brothers don't like you, you're out. Gay or straight. There were guys who didn't make it through to initiation, gay, straight, black, white. Frankly, it's very likely that this guys big brother fought to keep him in the fraternity and he may likely be attempting to throw some of the brothers under the bus by calling them "homophobic" as a red herring. I've seen it happen.

To make a youtube video about it and try to rationalize things in your favor is pointless.

Posted by: apex | Apr 20, 2014 6:43:18 PM

17. Uh, I thought the whole point of frats were there were havens of exclusive privilege, macho stereotypes and mindless conformity?

Posted by: Chaz | Apr 20, 2014 8:17:55 PM

18. WILL: It's not always about being a crybaby. It might be useful to remember that bakeries and many businesses are places of public accommodation, and if a city or state includes sexual orientation in its anti-discrimination laws then that is illegal. Provisions about university clubs at UCF might also allow some action. Even if there isn't any action taken, "outing" a place that excludes you based on sexuality is fine. It's just free speech.

JJOSE712: Unless the fraternity or university has some specific regulations that were violated here, then the fraternity was well within its rights. Fraternities are private clubs, just like churches and golf clubs and the like. They can exclude as much as they want.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 20, 2014 8:55:49 PM

19. He's kind of cute, in that last one on the couch at midnight kind of way.

Posted by: Arrow | Apr 20, 2014 10:08:41 PM

20. We all can't be liked and we can't force ourselves to be liked. And like Bryan said, it like a private club. We need to convince people to accept us, not force them to. The more we try to force more resistance we'll get.

Posted by: Macmantoo | Apr 20, 2014 10:09:20 PM

21. Orlando is actually ranked very high as a progressive city for LGBT community. Tampa too. So to everyone that for some really reductive reason thinks only Miami is "welcoming" then you are pretty far off the mark.

However, we are looking at fraternities. They are a microcosm within a university within a city. There is an LGBT frat at UCF but he probably felt comfortable with this crowd, it is unfortunate that it seems they excluded him based on something like that.

But I wouldn't want to join a group that didn't actually want me there anyway. Call them out and move on.

Posted by: Nick | Apr 20, 2014 10:54:29 PM

22. UCF is an extremely accepting University. And that comes from a 3-time UCF Alum and a current out gay UCF professor.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Apr 20, 2014 11:17:26 PM

23. "I wouldn't want to join a club that would have me as a member." -- Groucho Marx

The fact remains that frats are private clubs, with whatever membership rules they choose, and if they're arbitrary, they're arbitrary.

If BTP doesn't want this guy, why should he want them? He can tell his story if he wants to, but to try and bring action against them is asinine.

Posted by: Steve T. | Apr 21, 2014 1:11:46 AM

24. Maybe they would have been embarrassed paddling each other in front of a gay guy! It is hard to keep suppressed desires in check when there is someone nearby saying "You're doing it wrong"

Posted by: chase | Apr 21, 2014 1:21:53 PM

25. Maybe they would have been embarrassed paddling each other in front of a gay guy! It is hard to keep suppressed desires in check when there is someone nearby saying "You're doing it wrong"

Posted by: chase | Apr 21, 2014 1:21:56 PM