I'm Gay | Music | News | Sam Smith

British Singer Sam Smith Comes Out of the Closet: 'I’m Very Comfortable and Happy'

3_sam_smith

Last week we asked if British singer Sam Smith was coming out of the closet with his new video, and today we find out that the answer is YES. Watch the video "Leave Your Lover" HERE.

He tells The Fader: 2_smith

In the Lonely Hour is about a guy that I fell in love with last year, and he didn’t love me back. I think I’m over it now, but I was in a very dark place. I kept feeling lonely in the fact that I hadn’t felt love before. I’ve felt the bad things. And what’s a more powerful emotion: pain or happiness?

I told him about it recently, and obviously it was never going to go the way I wanted it to go, because he doesn’t love me. But it was good as a form of closure, to get it off my chest and tell him. I feel better for it. I feel almost like I signed off this part of my life where I keep giving myself to guys who are never going to love me back. It feels good to have interviews like this, to chat about it and put stuff to bed. It’s all there now, and I can move on and hopefully find a guy who can love me the way I love him.

Smith says that he's comfortable in speaking out about his sexuality:

I am comfortable with myself, and my life is amazing in that respect. I’m very comfortable and happy with everything. I just wanted to talk about him and have it out there. It’s about a guy and that’s what I wanted people to know—I want to be clear that that’s what it’s about. I’ve been treated as normal as anyone in my life; I’ve had no issues. I do know that some people have issues in life, but I haven’t, and it’s as normal as my right arm. I want to make it a normality because this is a non-issue. People wouldn’t ask a straight person these questions.

Smith says he writes his music for everybody and doesn't believe that people should subscribe to it based on whether they're gay or straight:

In the short time I’ve lived on this Earth, all I’ve seen are boxes. People put things in boxes; it makes it easier to digest information. People say I’m the new Adele. Why is [gender] a talking point? I’m singing, I’m making music, I’m performing my music—that’s what should be the talking point.

Read the full interview at The Fader.

Watch the video "Leave Your Lover" HERE.

Comments

1. Falling in love isn't the same thing as loving someone. The former can happen ten times a week. The latter takes work.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | May 28, 2014 10:30:20 AM

2. Awww good for him. Hell of a voice.

Posted by: Mikey | May 28, 2014 10:39:39 AM

3. Why do people feel compelled to assure everyone that they are comfortable and happy" when they come out. Is there any aspect that would be uncomfortable??

Posted by: Gary | May 28, 2014 10:40:04 AM

4. also, he didn't really "come out of the closet"... there's no indication that he was in the closet. he simply said he was gay. it's not like he had been hiding it previously... it just hadn't come up yet. the idea of "coming out" has drastically changed over the years. people/celebrities are being out more so than coming out. its a really positive and exciting change :)

Posted by: dddddd | May 28, 2014 10:55:59 AM

5. Love you Sam!!

Posted by: Gigi | May 28, 2014 11:01:49 AM

6. I always said he was the love child of Adele and Boy George and this interview proves it. Love him.....

Posted by: Russell | May 28, 2014 11:32:59 AM

7. This isn't "coming out". It doesn't sound like he was hiding before. Just the lack of a public declaration doesn't mean you're in the closet.

Posted by: Jmac | May 28, 2014 11:37:35 AM

8. @russell I thought of the exact same thing.

Posted by: S. | May 28, 2014 11:45:27 AM

9. On this day when we mourn the passing of Maya Angelou, one of her quotes comes to mind: Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.

Posted by: footwork61 | May 28, 2014 11:52:53 AM

10. Thanks for the quote Footwork, you just solved me a problem—and Ms Angelou, RIP.

As to Sam, he'll find what he wants, in the meantime, he'll get a great career going.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | May 28, 2014 12:43:12 PM

11. I can't wait to buy his album.

Posted by: Brian W. | May 28, 2014 1:10:18 PM

12. Coming out means he's making his first public statements affirming that he's gay.

Posted by: Brian W. | May 28, 2014 1:15:27 PM

13. but "coming out of the closet" implies that you were hiding that fact. "coming out" is the public declaration.

Posted by: dddddd | May 28, 2014 1:26:05 PM

14. the album is fantastic; the voice is superb. watched him open for Jessie Ware last year... he's the real deal, with real talent, and very humble. fabulous.

Posted by: EO | May 28, 2014 2:44:14 PM

15. Good marketing move coming out publicly when he is about to drop CD .Main theme unrequited love.

Posted by: Kim | May 28, 2014 6:00:08 PM

16. Check out his SNL 'Lay Me Down' performance. Amazing!

Posted by: Moniker | May 28, 2014 7:32:34 PM

17. Straight people are hilarious sometimes. In this case, it's because they seem to need gay men to say the magic words "I AM GAY" to understand that they are gay.

Speaking from my own experience, I can tell you that it really seems to be the case. My whole out life, if an acquaintance were to make a heteronormative statement like 'You can bring your girlfriend', or any such statement as to assume I'm straight, I've discovered it's not enough to say "I'm not into girls, I'm into guys", or "I have a boyfriend" or something like that.

I used to think I could get away without having to say the magic words SO DIRECTLY, but no. I thought straights would understand I'm gay by saying I have a boyfriend or am into guys or whatever. But hilariously I've discovered they continue to think I'm straight until I say it EXPLICITLY. In what universe to straight men say they are into guys not girls, or have a boyfriend? I don't know. But apparently straight people NEED to hear the words "I AM GAY" in order to get-it.

It reminds me of this situation. Seems like Sam Smith was living his life not-in-the-closet. I thought he was out whenever I would see him perform on TV. But the straight world NEEDS him to say that he's gay in order to understand. Apparently making out with another guy in a music video, or showing a broader range of expressiveness and sensitivity that is pretty much off-limits to straight men, doesn't clue straight people in the way I thought it would.

LOL

Posted by: IAmGay | May 28, 2014 7:57:38 PM

18. He didn't actually say 'I'm gay'. The gay media is distorting his words.

Posted by: petey | May 29, 2014 2:54:58 AM

19. That's all well and good, but what about his tragic eyebrow situation?

Posted by: Nomi | May 29, 2014 4:31:20 AM