Fitness | Video

Extreme Fitness Can Be Bad for Your Health (and Completely Humiliating): VIDEO

Crossfit

Competitive weight lifting, makeshift gymnastics and high-jump exercises could leave you in a world of pain. Let these epic Crossfit fails serve as a warning to take it easy at the gym — your necks, knees and lower backs will thank you for it. Or just stay away from Crossfit.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Most of the examples here are of people using improper form, attempting more than they are capable of doing, equipment badly secured, or attempting really foolish things that no rational person would try. CrossFit is not the problem - it's the misguided people that are to blame.

Posted by: Jack M | May 30, 2014 10:03:45 AM

2. 1:33 is like art.

Posted by: Chip | May 30, 2014 10:07:26 AM

3. The guy on the rowing machine had me laughing my ass off.

Posted by: crispy | May 30, 2014 10:11:45 AM

4. Actually, CrossFit is the problem. It has people doing highly form dependent exercises with teaching proper form. You're right that the exercises themselves are often among the best, but they require serious training and monitoring to do well, and CrossFit doesn't generally offer those.

Posted by: Dan E | May 30, 2014 10:17:54 AM

5. @Crispy: speaking as a former collegiate rower, I can tell you about 90% of people in gyms use them in ways that make me laugh my ass off. But yea, that was a particularly bad example!

Posted by: Dan E | May 30, 2014 10:21:25 AM

6. The woman at 2:00 is my new gym-spiration.

Posted by: OB Monkey | May 30, 2014 10:23:16 AM

7. On an exercise video clip that I watched a couple of weeks ago, one guy tied a very heavy weight around his waist and then kept on trying to lift himself up and down - it looked like a form of medieval torture. Some of these guys take this stuff way too seriously.

Posted by: David From Canada | May 30, 2014 10:30:04 AM

8. CrossFit is bizarre. Is it a cult?

Posted by: Sergio | May 30, 2014 10:40:49 AM

9. CrossFit isn't the problem - you find stupidity, overconfidence and bad coaching in any sport!

Posted by: brandon | May 30, 2014 10:42:08 AM

10. It looks douchey.

Posted by: AJ | May 30, 2014 10:47:45 AM

11. Agreed-- crossfit is not the problem!

Posted by: Alan | May 30, 2014 10:48:06 AM

12. Y'all are laughing. Well, I guess I must be a pure sissy queen because the accidents with the weights just terrified me. What if you break your neck...or ruptured a hernia? Or blew out your large intestine?

It's like watching "America's Funniest Home Videos"--I'm thinking, this isn't funny, it's horrible--with people having horrible accidents. I guess they're always OK afterwards.

(I did laugh at a few moments though. And I'll go to hell for it.)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | May 30, 2014 10:49:04 AM

13. Friends don't let friends do crossfit. I've never seen an aesthetic crossfit body. Working out isn't about hurting yourself, it's about gradual gains and consistency.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | May 30, 2014 10:52:42 AM

14. Granted, some very stupid ideas and overall folks taking this whole idea of pushing yourself way too far... BUT still much better than those millions of lazy farts sitting on their couches with buckets of junk laughing at this.

Posted by: hugo | May 30, 2014 10:53:02 AM

15. Natural Selection at work.

Posted by: Raybob | May 30, 2014 10:55:43 AM

16. I've seen lots of hot CrossFit bodies! You must be looking in the wrong places.

Posted by: Jack M | May 30, 2014 11:08:44 AM

17. Many of the exercises in this video aren't CrossFit. They're just gym exercises being performed wrong or equipment breaking or people attempting something beyond their means.

So the argument that CrossFit is bad because stupid people do it wrong could just as easily be applied to traditional working out.

Posted by: crispy | May 30, 2014 11:14:22 AM

18. I'm scheduled for my free CrossFit intro next week and that's followed by a $50 3-session ramp-up program. I figure that will be enough to tell me whether it will work for me. I've seen some good results for others and I know one of the trainers from another gym and know that he is a pro and not one who'd let anyone try the crap in this video. Like any program, it's to be approached skeptically. I suspect every installation of the program is its own thing.

Posted by: Will | May 30, 2014 11:34:54 AM

19. If those idiot spotters at 0:34 are gym employees, they should be sued.

Posted by: James | May 30, 2014 12:11:53 PM

20. CrossFit IS the problem. It's being marketed to people who often have very little experience with weight training. Guaranteed they will be sued and lose a chunk.

Posted by: Marc C | May 30, 2014 12:41:15 PM

21. Looks like at least half of these situations are from structural failures.

My favorite (sic) is the tiny troll at 2:11. Should be the poster child for this insanity.
    "Too much exercize may stunt your growth. And give you no realistic perspective on how you actually look."

Posted by: tinkerbelle | May 30, 2014 1:07:28 PM

22. When I was young, I did a sort of parcor type thing where I would go down many flights of stairs without ever touching a step, only the landings and hanging onto the rail. Also other similar things that I just had great confidence in not hurting myself, and I never did. I am now 52, have had multiple knee and back surgeries, and am in constant pain. Oh, how I wish I had known back then what it would be like now. Young people, take heed.

Posted by: Mikey DallasM | May 30, 2014 2:39:05 PM

23. By the time I got to the 1min 25sec mark, I was sweating through my clothes. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    I don't do cross-fit, but I do lift weights. I'm always concerned about my form, not tossing the weights, etc.
    I had to see what you all were laughing and commenting about. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    These people make me feel like a
    p-r-o-f-e-s-s-i-o-n-a-l.

Posted by: Selections | May 30, 2014 2:52:34 PM

24. Love the rowing machine guy.

Posted by: Marty | May 30, 2014 2:56:19 PM

25. The American obsession with working out is unhealthy, like most things in vogue in America.

Posted by: Pandion | May 30, 2014 9:25:00 PM