News: Harvey Fierstein, Nashville, Saturn, James Franco, Catfish

RoadGay student files suit in Florida after being denied in-state tuition.

Saturn_moonRoadSaturn was occulted by the Moon this week and an amateur astronomer snapped this photo.

RoadJames Franco defends plagiarizing artist's nude sketches of Seth Rogen: “Some other artist took it upon himself to do these sketches of Seth in the nude. Seth didn’t pose for them. But this artist depicted Seth and he wouldn’t have gotten much attention for these sketches except that he put Seth’s face on it. And so, I felt like, ‘Oh, here he is appropriating Seth’s personality and persona for his art. To get attention for his art.’ And I thought, well if anybody should paint Seth naked, it should be me. So I took his sketches and did paintings out of them.”

RoadGroundwater depletion in central California is increasing the chances of earthquakes on the San Andreas Fault.

RoadChris Colfer to star in Noel Coward biopic: "Sir Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave and Jonathan Pryce are in talks to join the cast of the feature, which portrays the early life and influences of the famously flamboyant British playwright, producer and wit who penned classics including Private Lives and Blithe Spirit and who worked on films including Brief Encounter and In Which We Serve, for which he was Oscar-nominated."

RoadKit Harington is thoughtful and has a nice ass.

CatfishRoadNew species of tiny catfish reminds researchers of the creature from Alien. "Numerous individual bones were modified in the face, giving the fish a compressed front end with a jutting lower jaw – like a bulldog’s snout, if a bulldog also had four rows of conical, sharp-tipped teeth."

RoadAlabama football coach Nick Saban is ready for an openly gay player: "I would expect everybody to be very respectful of what is private for most people and treat that person with dignity and respect, and respect them for being a good teammates and being part of our team and doing the things that require them to be a good person on our team."

RoadIs Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear trying to lose the gay marriage appeal? "Some lawyers in Kentucky say the brief filed May 7 at the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals is so illogical that they theorized that Gov. Steve Beshear, who previously was friendly to gay rights, may be trying to lose the case while appearing to defend the ban. Beshear hired private lawyers to represent the state after Attorney General Jack Conway declined to appeal a ruling that struck down the state ban."

RoadThere was a royal celebrity clusterf--k this week.

RoadStandard Hotel employee who released Jay Z-Solange video is fired.

StacheRoadA few new character posters for Orange is the New Black.

RoadHarvey Fierstein not a fan of Johnny Weir: “Anything but Johnny Weir. Leave me alone with that faggot. Anything but Johnny Weir and his divorce.”

RoadTeen lesbian raped after South African Pride celebration: "Cindy Molefe, from the Limpopo LGBTI Proudly Out group, told Mambaonline that the 17-year-old schoolgirl was trying to get home in the early evening after celebrations ended at the city’s Cricket Club."

RoadMark Regnerus files anti-gay brief in Louisiana gay marriage case.

RoadNashville sets stage for groundbreaking storyline: "The producers have a challenge simply because there’s no blueprint in real life. Yes, there are gay country musicians, but none that have the same career track as Will these days: A young, male, rising star opening for the biggest names in the genre (thereby deemed worthy by Music City royalty), with millions of dollars invested in his launch and poised to become a breakout sensation."

Comments

1. I love Harvey Fierstein even more.

Posted by: sparks | May 15, 2014 4:48:22 PM

2. Nashville is such a fun show. The music is so good. I have really enjoyed Chris Carmack's portrayal over the season playing gay, but anguished and conflicted Will Lexington, and the man has some pipes. He's one of the best singers on the show. Looking forward to next season

Posted by: kookie | May 15, 2014 5:10:03 PM

3. I agree with the KY Governor assessment. I thought, even as layperson, that legal reasoning was so absurdly, and obviously flawed, that they must be trying to lose the case. It's a shame he couldn't just grow some balls and support the AG's decision to stand up for what's right.

Posted by: D.R.H. | May 15, 2014 5:34:31 PM

4. Looks like older brings more bitter... sorry about that.

Posted by: Arrow | May 15, 2014 5:35:26 PM

5. Where's the outrage? If Laverne Cox had said "I hate that tr*nni" about anyone people would be after her head.

Love you Harvey, but you don't get to call other gay men "f*ggot" in press interviews.

Posted by: qj201 | May 15, 2014 5:40:18 PM

6. Whoops! You probably think Harvey Fierstein is a national treasure. And the sexual reference is a part of the gay scene. Happy Birthday anyway... Now to be deleted for revealing that. Face it Mary!!!

Posted by: Gary | May 15, 2014 5:41:22 PM

7. All the arguments probably are copycats of those of NOM. It is more absurd if any one could think of more absurd arguments.

Posted by: simon | May 15, 2014 5:43:14 PM

8. I was talking about you being more bitter. And you're not even 50!

Posted by: Arrow | May 15, 2014 5:43:28 PM

9. Love James Franco's response to the doodler whose work he based his paintings on. Nothing is new in art. It's all remix.

As for Saturn and the moon, I recommend getting yourself a Galileoscope. Designed for the International Year of Astronomy (2009), it's a low-cost, high-optical-quality, 50x magnification telescope for amateurs. When I got mine, they were $30, but they're going for $50 now. That should tell you something. Saturn, the moon, and Jupiter look beautiful through it. And you can apply solar filters (or build a projector screen to fit on the eyepiece) to observe solar eclipses.

Posted by: Randy | May 15, 2014 5:45:16 PM

10. Don't ever confuse the Towle crowd with nice people.

Posted by: Arrow | May 15, 2014 5:56:14 PM

11. @Arrow I know, their flagrant promotion of astronomy is disgusting.

Posted by: Bollox | May 15, 2014 6:23:21 PM

12. Harington's is a nice ass, yes. Not a MELONI ass, but what else is?

Posted by: Jerry | May 15, 2014 6:35:05 PM

13. Harvey Fierstein said:

SO -- Harvey gets a free pass to use the F word? But Alec Baldwin or homophobic football players don't? We are playing favorites.

Andy: If you don't do a homophobic Harvey Fierstein column today, YOU ARE A FREAKING HYPOCRITE (the rules don't apply to us!)

We're waiting for that story, Andy.

Posted by: will | May 15, 2014 7:03:17 PM

14. Andy: OR please explain how the rules DON'T apply to us (Harvey included) and we gays are free and clear to call out the F word in public. Also explain how it's okay for black rappers to address each other with the N word -- and explain how consistent your argument is with a slur-free America.

Posted by: will | May 15, 2014 7:10:43 PM

15. Yup, Weir IS A FAGGOT....and not in a good way.

Posted by: Hdtex | May 15, 2014 7:43:10 PM

16. If Harvey Fierstein had said, "Don't talk to me about Michael Sam. I've had it with that faggot" -- would we be so blasé about it? Would Harvey get a pass with Michael, too?

Posted by: will | May 15, 2014 7:46:32 PM

17. Harvey sounds like a miserable person. Johnny did us right in Russia.

Posted by: Patrick | May 15, 2014 7:56:50 PM

18. franco's plagerism would have been ok if he had simply stated the source pre getting busted for it

Posted by: Moz's | May 15, 2014 8:05:07 PM

19. Johnny Weir is a cancer on society, gay, straight or otherwise. Any gay man that would say "I live a "GAY LIFESTYLE" because I choose to" is as dumb as Mark Regenerus. I personally sent Harvey an e-mail and agreed "JOHNNY WEIR IS A FAGGOT".

Posted by: WTF21 | May 15, 2014 8:16:59 PM

20. I can't believe excusing anyone for using "f+gg+t" just because they don't like the gay it's directed to, or are fans of the person saying it. But hypocrisy doesn't surprise me.

Posted by: MIke | May 15, 2014 9:24:38 PM

21. Chris Colfer as Noel Coward? If he can pull it off, it should be fab!

Posted by: MARTIN | May 15, 2014 9:27:49 PM

22. Just because I work here doesn't mean I have to eat the food. And I do work here, make the site more viable, contributing relevant stories as I find them, comments, but I remain as invisible as some far away galaxy. So, I guess that's how I fit in. Astronomy is so vast, comets flicker, and are used up. Most never acknowledged.

Posted by: GB | May 15, 2014 10:06:40 PM

23. I think Harvey Fierstein is wrong for using the word F@gg*t. I dislike Johnny Wier a lot too but that does mean he should be called such a derogatory word. Mr. Fierstein should apologize.

Posted by: 1♥ | May 16, 2014 8:09:09 AM

24. Harvey's right, and he's one of us, so he's entitled to use the F word. Get over it, girls!

Posted by: Jack M | May 16, 2014 9:31:16 AM