Music | Music Video | News | Sam Smith

Did British Singer Sam Smith Come Out as Gay in His New Music Video for 'Leave Your Lover'? - WATCH

4_smith

British singer-songwriter Sam Smith released the music video for his new single "Leave Your Lover". It's a haunting, moody clip that appears to deal with sexuality amid a bisexual love triangle but then seems to make a choice at the end.

Some are speculating that it's a personal coming out statement.

CoupleWrites the UK's Express:

The video stars Smith, model Daisy Lowe and another male as they enjoy a night out on the town, whilst flirting with each other throughout the scenes.

The unrequited love song features the lyrics, "Leave your lover/leave him for me", and as the video progresses, it shows that Smith is not suggesting Lowe's character splits from her partner, but rather the man break-up from his boyfriend to be with him.

In any case, it's a gorgeous track. Enjoy it, AFTER THE JUMP...

2_smith

Comments

1. No auto-tune? No Twerking? Are we expected to love this type of music? Well.. YES.. I Love it. It's nice and refreshing to finally here a singers voice. Europe is so lucky to have an artist like this. A beautiful song and video.

Posted by: jpa | May 23, 2014 9:18:42 AM

2. It will be a very surprising move. I know there was some speculation because all his songs are gender neutral, but right now he is the hottest new artist.
    He will get his second solo number one on UK this week, and Stay with me is getting a very good reception on the USA.
    Generally labels doesn't want their singers to come out, not that early on their career, not before their first album is on the market.

We'll see. He is one of the most talented new artist out there, but everybody knows that talent doesn't mean that much for the bosses of the business

Posted by: jjose712 | May 23, 2014 9:20:47 AM

3. He's an amazing singer and he'll go far in his career. I love the song "La La La" by Naughty Boy on which he is a featured artist. Would love to see him live in concert too.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | May 23, 2014 9:29:53 AM

4. Lovely. Even if he isn't gay (my vote would be yes) it's great to see us treated the same and not as a str8 guy stunt.

Posted by: raul5050 | May 23, 2014 9:51:37 AM

5. Chills from his lovely voice & thrills from the sexy video. Thanks, Towleroad, for the introduction.

Posted by: DamFine | May 23, 2014 11:35:33 AM

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:19:13 PM

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:19:22 PM

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:19:27 PM

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:20:08 PM

10. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:20:50 PM

11. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:20:52 PM

12. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:20:54 PM

13. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:20:54 PM

14. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:20:54 PM

15. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:20:55 PM

16. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:21:50 PM

17. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:21:55 PM

18. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:21:55 PM

19. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:21:56 PM

20. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:21:57 PM

21. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:22:05 PM

22. Yes Yes Yes. Loving this. I've been enjoying his two features that are receiving a lot of airplay now, "Disclosure- Latch" and "La, La, La- Naughty Boy".

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:22:51 PM

23. Sorry for the multiple posts.

Posted by: Brian W. | May 23, 2014 2:37:53 PM

24. Who cares who he shags? Smith is camp in the mode of a raft of Brit singers & hellishly gifted as a vocalist.

No doubt he'll be marketed as the next Adele as he's no pretty boy; bet his record label wouldn't be allowing him to toy with male attraction if he was a conventional pretty pop bot...

Posted by: Dave B | May 23, 2014 8:17:29 PM

25. Was lucky to see him on his US tour last month and the energy in the room was unlike anything I've seen at a live concert in years. Everyone there knew we were seeing something very, very special. The most exciting arrival on the music scene since Adele.

Posted by: MrRoboto | May 23, 2014 9:38:25 PM