CNN Anchor Richard Quest Speaks About Being Gay from a Personal, Professional Perspective: VIDEO

Quest

On Friday night, CNN anchor Richard Quest spoke about being out at work in a segment on Erin Burnett Outfront about gay CEOs.

Said Quest:

Thinking like this saps energy, it drains confidence, it takes a toll on productivity, it’s exhausting! I realize that everyone has their own road to travel in making this decision about when it’s right to come out. I know that in my case, the worst fears never materialized. All in all professionally, I know the work I do here every day is better because I’m honest about who I am.

While some news outlets are saying that Quest is just coming out now, the anchor has been out for some time, although his personal life was thrust in to focus in 2008 when he was arrested on a meth possession charge in Central Park.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I've been watching him for years on CNN and had no idea he was gay.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 27, 2014 11:54:15 PM

2. I've seen him for many years on CNN....knew he was gay...and he's the most annoying vapid man I've ever seen. He's a horrific broadcaster.

And how did you not know he was gay after his central park meth arrest?

Posted by: Me | Jun 28, 2014 12:01:52 AM

3. Is everyone at CNN gay?

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 28, 2014 12:33:34 AM

4. Quest is textbook passive-aggression and a loose cannon with the demeanor of a man carrying a perpetual boulder on his shoulder that just took 20 shots of espresso before every single interview.

Witnessing this colossal train-wreck on camera is an utterly mortifying experience and the people that hired him must get some sick pleasure in not only forcing us to attempt to comprehend him, but wasting our energy and time pitying him. Good riddance.

Posted by: Leo | Jun 28, 2014 12:34:25 AM

5. He is okay but Erin Burnett is super conservative and I'e heard her interject very conservative comments during news stories.

Posted by: andover1 | Jun 28, 2014 12:56:38 AM

6. Had no idea he was gay.

Posted by: franco | Jun 28, 2014 12:59:21 AM

7. I remember the incident where Quest was found in some kind of leather S&M outfit (I think he had a collar around his neck) in the Rambles of Central Park. When police arrested him he informed them he was carrying meth.
    I actually really respect CNN for sticking by this guy after that and letting him keep his job.
    Unfortunately I think he is really BAD at his job. I hate his manner of presentation and everyone else does too.
    Then again CNN is down the drain noone watches it anyway.

Posted by: AmericanDreamer | Jun 28, 2014 1:59:47 AM

8. Actually, every time that I see the name of this news program, Outfront, I think it's a show about gay news.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Jun 28, 2014 4:06:04 AM

9. This guy loves his meth and kink public sex. As you do. But he is so fricking annoying on every goddamn level.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Jun 28, 2014 6:59:04 AM

10. I had no idea either he is gay. His tv personality is really annoying.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jun 28, 2014 8:08:21 AM

11. No idea who he is but I agree that hiding in the closet can be extremely harmful to one's health.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 28, 2014 9:06:16 AM

12. Good god folks...he SCREAMS GAY! What a surprise. Not!! Lol

Btw: 100% agree...he is beyond annoying. I turn the channel whenever I come across his reporting.

Posted by: tagg | Jun 28, 2014 9:34:16 AM

13. The meth arrest, if true, would explain why he seems to be hopped up when he's on camera. I watched the Malaysian missing plane reports and it seemed as though he was going to jump out of the TV box and into our living room with every word he said. He always seemed like a nervous wreck.

All of the above isn't a critique of his gayness, but as a reporter. Maybe his coming out will help him calm down and report the news in a more matter of fact sort of way.

Cooper is gay, and I really respect his manner of reporting and interviewing. I'd respect Quest more if he simply stated the facts and injected less emotion into it. I feel like Quest has this thing about punctuating every word to convince the audience he's bringing the best possible viewpoint to the table. Reporter's don't have to do that if what they are reporting is accurate in the first place.

Obviously, I have no comparison to make between Cooper and Quest and I mean no disrespect to Cooper by bringing him into this post. It is mentioned only because the two happen to be gay and nothing else.

Posted by: Mark | Jun 28, 2014 9:49:55 AM

14. I have a comparison to make between Cooper and Quest. I like Anderson Cooper.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 28, 2014 11:08:50 AM

15. Richard Quest is an excellent broadcaster. He's not just a straight reporter, but also a business and aviation analyst for the network. His work during the Malaysian airlines tragedy was spot on.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 28, 2014 1:51:57 PM

16. I agree with Brian W. I like him as a broadcaster, he is unique and I enjoy his dramatic style.

Yeah, I also heard that he was gay during Central Park gate...

Posted by: stingo | Jun 28, 2014 2:03:36 PM

17. All those of you who are surprised to learn he's gay are blind like moles.

Posted by: TheSeer | Jun 28, 2014 3:09:04 PM

18. I love every single CNN show/segment he is on ... And I hope to keep watching him for a lifetime on business/travelling shows!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Jun 28, 2014 5:03:30 PM

19. Never heard of him. I wonder if he has heard of me.

Posted by: Enchantra | Jun 28, 2014 7:24:22 PM

20. "Richard Quest is ... not just a straight reporter."

You can say that again.

"Is everyone at CNN gay?"

Have you seen a Mrs. Blitzer? Me neither.

Posted by: TKinSC | Jun 29, 2014 5:20:56 AM

21. How did he think he passed as straight? He's obnoxious and someone should stick something in his mouth to shut him up already.

Posted by: gaypalmsprings | Jun 29, 2014 7:30:06 AM

22. I never knew if he was gay or simply British, but I have always known that he is stupendously annoying. Cannot stand his delivery and always turn the channel when he comes on television.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 29, 2014 7:16:58 PM

23. Everywhere I travel in the world, Mr. Quest is there. He covers global business, aviation, travel, some weather and Sports, and whenever I see him, I flash on that little unpleasantness in Central Park. You have to hand it to him, he's a trooper with a great sense of humor.
    If I heard that thunderous voice coming up behind me in the dark, I'd run for my life.

Posted by: feo | Jun 30, 2014 12:35:44 PM

24. CNN is the GMA. Everyone is a gay.

Posted by: mitch | Jun 30, 2014 12:48:08 PM

25. If anyone has a voice that's more Britishly British, I'd certainly like to know.

Posted by: ophu | Jun 30, 2014 10:49:33 PM