Gay Slurs | Howard Stern | Jonah Hill | News

Jonah Hill on Anti-Gay Slur: 'What I Said in That Moment Was Disgusting' — VIDEO

J_hill

Jonah Hill spoke with Howard Stern this morning after TMZ aired a video of Hill hurling a homophobic slur at a photographer.

Said Hill:

"This is a heartbreaking situation for me...I'm upset...From the day I was born, and publicly, I've been a gay rights activist...This person had been following me around all day saying hurtful things. I played into exactly what he wanted and I said a disgusting word...It's bulls--t and I shouldn't have said that. I'm happy to take the heat for using this disgusting word. What I won't allow is for anyone - it would break my heart to think that anyone - especially with all the work that I've done and all the loved ones that I have - that I would be against anyone for their sexuality."

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. TMZ needs to stop harassing people. Time for the GLBT community to call out TMZ and its grubby trade.

Posted by: petey | Jun 3, 2014 9:48:33 AM

2. That's not a bad apology, but I wish he hadn't said "gay married."

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 3, 2014 9:49:14 AM

3. Cut him some slack. He was harassed and he acknowledges that he reacted badly. He is not a homophobe.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 3, 2014 9:49:16 AM

4. That's how you apologize, Louis Tomlison should take notes. Now TMZ should get heat for being homophobic, racist and sexist. When's there apology?

Posted by: Cory | Jun 3, 2014 9:53:58 AM

5. It boggle the mind that so called gay "friendly" celebrities are allowed t use words like f@ggot. It says something about someone that in anger they would refer to someone as a f@ggot (or n1gger, sp1c, ch1nk, k1ke) Something tells me that this bloated d-bag uses those words in private.

Posted by: Perry | Jun 3, 2014 9:54:36 AM

6. With Channing Tatum to look at, I doubt this will hurt ticket sales for 22 Jump Street. I could be wrong.

Anything else going on in the world?

Posted by: Ajai | Jun 3, 2014 10:00:09 AM

7. Somebody needs to nuke TMZ and every last one of their "reporters" and anybody else who contributes to that sleazy scum.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 3, 2014 10:02:17 AM

8. i forgive you, Ms Hill!

Posted by: carlos | Jun 3, 2014 10:05:16 AM

9. I give him a pass....because you just KNOW he was tormented and called "f*ggot" as a kid.

Posted by: Qj201 | Jun 3, 2014 10:07:59 AM

10. Okay, Now I feel bad I called him a loser in the comments on the earlier story. Maybe he shouldn't have lashed out, but it sounds like he was being harrassed.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 3, 2014 10:13:35 AM

11. Oh please Perry. I use f@ggot all the time, and I AM one.

Posted by: Hrm | Jun 3, 2014 10:13:42 AM

12. Oh, blah blah blah. Whatever.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 3, 2014 10:15:29 AM

13. Compare this to this sites coverage of biebers equally thoughtful apology for something offensive he said at 15.

Posted by: fern | Jun 3, 2014 10:17:35 AM

14. Compare this to this sites coverage of biebers equally thoughtful apology for something offensive he said at 15.

Posted by: fern | Jun 3, 2014 10:17:36 AM

15. Compare this to this sites coverage of biebers equally thoughtful apology for something offensive he said at 15.

Posted by: fern | Jun 3, 2014 10:17:37 AM

16. This is a good example of how the casual cruelty of the term is used so often, even good people who are gay supportive may occasionally slip up in the moment of anger. "Assh@le" would be my insult of choice to someone obnoxious or in my face, but I'm sure sometimes the brain momentarily jams under pressure. There are a lot of seriously homophobic people in the world; Hill isn't one of them, nor does he have an unfortunate pattern of incidents like this, like Alec Baldwin. I'm giving him a pass. (But that "tip kiss" you promised Channing Tatum, based on the grosses of the first movie? Maybe that should be filmed/photographed to gage your sincerity?)

Posted by: Dback | Jun 3, 2014 10:19:06 AM

17. I'm referring to the headline "bieber and his PR issue apology"

Posted by: fern | Jun 3, 2014 10:19:53 AM

18. OK word police. he apologized as he should. Next story.

Posted by: DC Insider | Jun 3, 2014 10:23:14 AM

19. @Fern no1curr about Beibz, this ain't 2009.

Posted by: Cory | Jun 3, 2014 10:23:47 AM

20. The Gay Mafia needs to give him a pardon. This guy is NOT our enemy, he's just a product of being raised in a homophobic society. You have to allow people to make mistakes and learn. The dialogue that's being created by this is far more worthy than any kind of punitive measures that would be imposed upon him for making a mistake. Leave Jonah Alone!

Posted by: ironic serendipity | Jun 3, 2014 10:26:21 AM

21. I'm not a fan of this guy, but his response is pretty much pinpoint perfect.

Posted by: Rey | Jun 3, 2014 10:29:22 AM

22. @PERRY -- What's the one word growing up that a guy knows he can call another guy to upset him? FAGGOT! Is it right that Johan called someone a faggot? No. Of course not. Had that asswipe been harassing me all day like that, I might have called him a faggot too. And I AM a faggot so...STFU!

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 3, 2014 10:31:23 AM

23. I honestly think we all need to calm down when celebrities use a homophobic slur as an attempt to hurt someone in the heat of the moment. Saying something to intentionally hurt one person isn't the same as homophobia. When you're insulting someone and you really want to hit home, you say the thing you think they're sensitive about, the thing you think they'll hate hearing the most. Your own feelings on the slur don't really enter into it.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 3, 2014 10:33:46 AM

24. Whatever. When he yelled the slur, it just revealed some of his prejudices. People who aren't bigots don't use bigoted terms.

Dude has some homophobia.

Posted by: Rodger | Jun 3, 2014 10:35:54 AM

25. Well, my last post got lost somewhere in the "unknown", but my thought is that I can accept his apology. But I will never understand why "faggot" is the go-to word when people are upset. It just shows how imbedded in society homophobia really is. Leaves me with a gross feeling. My hope is that he will never use the word again but all is forgiven.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jun 3, 2014 10:38:42 AM