Australia | Georgia | Opera | Tamar Iveri

Opera Australia Replaces Homophobic Tamar Iveri Following ‘Unconscionable’ Facebook Post

Tamar iveri

Opera Australia has announced a replacement for Tamar Iveri, the Georgian singer who was dumped last week following comments on Facebook in which she compared homosexuals with "faecal masses".

Describing Iveri’s views as “unconscionable”, Opera Australia released her contract to perform the role of Desdemona in their production of Otello.

20140623-123328-45208391Armenian soprano Lianna Haroutounian will now replace Iveri in the production. Addressing concerns regarding Iveri’s other Opera Australia contracts, the company said they are following the “same due process” they underwent with her role in Otello.

In her Facebook post, which was presented as an open letter to Georgian president Giorgi Margvelashvili after Christian Orthodox groups violently assaulted members of a gay pride march in the capital of Tbilisi in May, Iveri wrote:

“I was quite proud of the fact how Georgian society spat at the parade … Often, in certain cases, it is necessary to break jaws in order to be appreciated as a nation in the future, and to be taken into account seriously. Please, stop vigorous attempts to bring the west’s ‘faecal masses’ in the mentality of the people by means of propaganda.”

Iveri later claimed that the post, which has since been deleted, had been written by her husband.

However, in an interview made public by Georgian LGBTQIA,  Iveri states she wrote the original homophobic post and also makes further homophobic comments:

"On that day, as readers might have noticed I was very agitated and absolutely sincere in expressing my opinions. at the end of the status I even apologised to readers if they had found it impolite. My agitation was caused by the turmoil and accidental or deliberate promotion, propaganda, which in those days was passing through the media. My friends were calling and telling me that children were talking about gay parade all day long and that they could not take that anymore. When we do not tell them what that (gay parade) is exactly, they surf the internet and ask us to take there.”

Watch a report on the May 17 violence in Tbilisi, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Oh, I see -- she a nasty homophobic bigot for the sake of the CHILDREN!

Posted by: Kit | Jun 27, 2014 8:44:38 AM

2. Isn't she scheduled to appear at the Met? So her husband didn't write the letter as she first alleged.....so she's a homophobe and a liar!

Posted by: wct | Jun 27, 2014 9:02:22 AM

3. Well now she's unemployed, so that's that.

Posted by: Tigernan | Jun 27, 2014 9:03:37 AM

4. Yep...Sep 08-Apr 09 Don Giovanni /New York(Met)

Posted by: wct | Jun 27, 2014 9:04:28 AM

5. The Met needs to hear from its gay supporters - big time. What is it with these former soviets? It's about protecting the children - as if they'll become gay. I think I knew at 7 that there were homosexuals - and I was rural and protected until that time. Children know with or without media.
    She's a hoaky bad actress anyway. Although I'm sure she can make the vengeance aria convincing - cause she's that type. But the "Non mi dir" aria is too hard for her.

Posted by: Markt | Jun 27, 2014 9:13:59 AM

6. She can always beg on the street for money...

Posted by: Moniker | Jun 27, 2014 9:34:08 AM

7. Is that a picture of her -- or a drag queen impersonating her?

Posted by: Richard | Jun 27, 2014 10:12:12 AM

8. Is that a picture of her -- or a drag queen impersonating her?

Posted by: Richard | Jun 27, 2014 10:12:12 AM

9. She used her freedom to express her opinions and now she takes responsibility and doesn't perform in Sydney. What about Met? Any reaction yet? I mean, she still homophobic and I wouldn't see he performing if Met paid me.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jun 27, 2014 10:22:28 AM

10. yes, the gay hate was for the children, but only the small percentage of children who grow up to be just as bigoted as she is.

i guess the gay children and their allies will also be learning an important lesson early - "that mommy hates gay people and gay parades, so i better not like, befriend, act, or be gay". shameful, and good luck with those references after that no-apology...

Posted by: northalabama | Jun 27, 2014 1:07:10 PM

11. attention all of you! pick up a copy of Ethan Mordden's "The Venice Adriana", immediately.

trust me on this. you'll thank me.

Oh, woe to the opera diva who alienates her collaborators, her librettists, her conductor and her FANS.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 27, 2014 1:16:00 PM

12. A gang should team up and break her face, so that she appreciates and takes into account seriously the LGBT community.

That fecal mass named Tamar Iveri needs to be humbled/destroyed so that she ceases her anti-gay propaganda.

Do it for the children!

Posted by: StranglerFig | Jun 27, 2014 3:17:46 PM

13. She's schedule to sing the lead in Tosca in Melbourne in November. Wonder what they'll do? (Gay men love Tosca.)

Posted by: Marty | Jun 27, 2014 8:04:27 PM

14. In the words of my grandmother: "bye b*tch!"

Posted by: chicklets | Jun 27, 2014 11:03:57 PM

15. Even starving wont change her ideas, but starving for a couple weeks will eliminate her as a problem

Give her body to a med school to teach medicine about. Prob the only thing this piece of crap will have contributed to the human race

Or are the lions hungry in the coliseum?

Posted by: billy wingartenson | Jun 28, 2014 12:02:44 AM