Music | Music Video | News | Sam Smith | Whitney Houston

Sam Smith Covers Whitney Houston's 'How Will I Know': VIDEO

Houston_smith

Sam Smith lent his gorgeous pipes to Whitney Houston's "How Will I Know" in a recording session with SiriusXM radio this week and the results were predictably magical.

Said Smith told People he has a thing for female divas: "I love legends like Whitney Houston. I love female voices and female divas. I find Amy Winehouse so iconic. Everything about her, just the way she looks."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow. What a way to ruin a great song.

Posted by: dw | Jun 21, 2014 1:05:27 PM

2. Yikes. After that, I actually went back to listen to the original to clear my mind. My ears are still bleeding from his version.

Posted by: Truthie | Jun 21, 2014 1:11:43 PM

3. Lovely cover.

Posted by: Kenneth | Jun 21, 2014 1:14:07 PM

4. I swear, if the Towleroad website had a smell, it would smell like sour-ass troll milk. I'm done coming here.

Posted by: Steven | Jun 21, 2014 1:17:31 PM

5. {YAWN}

Posted by: jamal49 | Jun 21, 2014 1:19:31 PM

6. Yes, that sucked.

Posted by: Philwin | Jun 21, 2014 1:20:21 PM

7. Loved it until he changed the pronouns...

Posted by: Cameron | Jun 21, 2014 1:40:03 PM

8. Yes, changing the pronouns makes the gender indistinct, but moving from third to second person makes it more personal. He's speaking to someone, not about someone. I think it's beautiful.

Posted by: Marcus | Jun 21, 2014 1:44:28 PM

9. How can this be a cover when it WAS NOT written by WH. Just like her version, it's an interpretation of a song composed by George Merrill and Shannon Rubicam.

Posted by: don't a tell la | Jun 21, 2014 1:56:53 PM

10. Lachrymose and self-indulgent.

Dull, narcissistic music.

Posted by: will | Jun 21, 2014 2:09:11 PM

11. Sounds pretty... But terribly boring...

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jun 21, 2014 2:10:15 PM

12. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!
    I am curious, since he is openly gay, why he changed the pronoun to "you" instead of "he," but it still works. (If he would have changed it to "she" I would have been a bit saddened, but thankfully he didn't). At any rate, he is one of my new favorite vocalists. I hope his fame continues to rise. What a breath of fresh air.

Posted by: Marc | Jun 21, 2014 2:11:24 PM

13. I like the idea of taking apart an old, known song like that and sticthing it back together with a new sound.

Not a fan of his voice though. It's a little heavy on the pinched/choked throat sound, like a perpetual karaoke affectation. Also, based on a sparse sampling of his sounds, he also tends toward the overwrought. He's young. Maybe he'll develop.

Posted by: Grammy Man | Jun 21, 2014 2:11:57 PM

14. @marc why do you even have t think of it? keeping the gender pronouns mutual keeps the music open to be enjoyed by everyone not just one small subculture. 99% of the world does not want to listen t men sing about men, ya know

everyone slamming him is a probably a lana del rey fan.

Posted by: david | Jun 21, 2014 2:15:22 PM

15. "I swear, if the Towleroad website had a smell, it would smell like sour-ass troll milk. I'm done coming here."

Will that be Tall, Grande or Venti? To-go, I'm guessing.

Posted by: Trollista | Jun 21, 2014 2:15:36 PM

16. My own personal tastes tend more toward art rather than schlock, but I recognize that that isn't the case with everyone and can see how this rendition might appeal to some people.

Posted by: bicurious | Jun 21, 2014 2:55:08 PM

17. What a bunch or rude asses that post on here. My only beef is with the pronoun change and not because he is shying away from it being about a man - but because it ruins the rhyme scheme of the whole chorus which is based on the E sound.

he me every heartbeat we meet these things
    he me speak bittersweet weak

Posted by: CJ | Jun 21, 2014 3:37:03 PM

18. Yeah, had to go back and watch Whitney after that. Man, was she beautiful.

Posted by: Wanna Dance? | Jun 21, 2014 3:42:48 PM

19. He has a good voice but he ruined this song. His voice is like the Irish singer Brian Kennedy who has been around for years.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jun 21, 2014 3:56:34 PM

20. Someone give this guy a Grammy. Whitney can just go die already!

Posted by: dumbnhung | Jun 21, 2014 4:02:41 PM

21. "Whitney can just go die already!"

Um... she did.

Posted by: JNJ | Jun 21, 2014 6:09:11 PM

22. @bicurious

just remember there's only one letter separating "art" from a bodily function.

Posted by: alguien | Jun 21, 2014 6:45:43 PM

23. i think he could have done a great version of this song, but this version isn't it. taking an upbeat party song and turning it into a dirge isn't an interpretation, its just a bad overreach. i agree with the poster who cited it for being self indulgent etc. i'm getting used to his vocal affectations, and find they work on some songs, but boy, was this ever not one of them.

Posted by: bandanajack | Jun 21, 2014 7:17:57 PM

24. with his voice, it could have been a perfect and sweet song of yearning....however, it turned into something whiny and unbearable to listen to.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jun 21, 2014 7:54:46 PM

25. Whatever. This is a great remake. Nice job.

Posted by: dattexas | Jun 21, 2014 9:01:06 PM