David Letterman | Music | News | Sam Smith

Sam Smith's Pipes Smoothly Blew the Roof Off of Letterman Last Night: VIDEO

Letterman_smith

Continuing to take the nation by storm, British singer-songwriter Sam Smith appeared on The Late Show with David Letterman last night for a performance of his single "Stay with Me".

Forecasters say that Smith's new album In the Lonely Hour could sell more than 150,000 albums this week, probably not enough to top Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence, but a huge debut nonetheless.

Watch Smith on Letterman, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't know the hair, the look, the styling. Do we really need a second coming of a falsetto Rick Astley?

Posted by: Quicksilver | Jun 19, 2014 9:42:08 AM

2. Love me some Sam Smith.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 19, 2014 9:42:15 AM

3. Oh Sammy you shine bright like a diamond.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 19, 2014 9:52:10 AM

4. That's some great vocal control. Kudos Sam!

Posted by: bkmn | Jun 19, 2014 9:58:39 AM

5. He's not cute enough for gay men to really be obsessed with him but he is really talented.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 19, 2014 10:51:28 AM

6. Disagree about the cuteness. When I come across a good openly gay voice or song I put it on my iPhone and I've been listening to this one for a few weeks now. He also does it with Mary Blige. There is just something about this guy that screams soulfulness. As a community we should praise and support this guy.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jun 19, 2014 11:02:33 AM

7. He does nothing for me, but his album is great! Though for this particular song, I prefer the remix with Mary J.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 19, 2014 11:16:55 AM

8. I'm so glad hes doing well music wise and with the media, the guy is very talented. He is too understated for my taste though. Im sure his understated style is a breath of fresh air to many people though. I'm not saying he needs to go full on Adam Lambert or Lady Gaga, but I it would be nice if there was something a little more to pull me in.

Posted by: Anony6 | Jun 19, 2014 12:12:41 PM

9. What's an album?

Posted by: DC Insider | Jun 19, 2014 12:30:05 PM

10. i like him =)

Posted by: jamie | Jun 19, 2014 12:46:25 PM

11. One doughy Brits diary of lusting for rough trade.

Posted by: mikeflower | Jun 19, 2014 1:27:07 PM

12. @Mikeflower—unfair and almost racist comment.

I liked his appearance on the the Today Show (or whatever) posted previously, but was glad to hear this again. I wonder who the choir is, if it's part of his entourage or not. Unfortunately, this song will be eventually killed by too many show-flogging marketing forays (Adele performed "Rollin' in the Deep" so many times she never wanted to perform it again). But I wish him all the best, and am certain he is going to have a lovely career. And personally, I find him far from being physically uninteresting. From one who likes real human beings.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jun 19, 2014 3:27:09 PM

13. Love Sam Smith. I'm still waiting on Amazon to mail me the album. Yes, I like hard copy CDs.

Will def see him when he comes to Houston.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 19, 2014 4:30:02 PM

14. it's a heartfelt song sung by a beautiful voice. i think he's a hottie. i'd stay with him ;)

Posted by: nick | Jun 19, 2014 4:46:02 PM

15. Sam has a beautiful voice. And he has amazing blue eyes. And the cutest smile ..he's adorable..To all of you hater/critics you're a bunch of envious /jealous bitches...

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 19, 2014 7:39:42 PM

16. Sam Smith > Adam Lambert

Posted by: don't a tell la | Jun 19, 2014 10:54:10 PM

17. OK, everyone is gonna hate me, and trust me I've been on the a bit chubby side myself...but look Sam, you are in show biz. You are on stage. And you are young. And if you lost 30 or 40 pounds you would be really gorgeous, and not have to worry about wearing suits all the time. Trust me on this. Do it.

Posted by: emjayay | Jun 20, 2014 2:57:52 AM

18. He is terribly overrated IMO. Lets see how he does on his second album and if he can stay relevant.

Posted by: Red | Jun 20, 2014 12:16:43 PM

19. Can't stand him. His music is so boring.

Posted by: Lefil | Jun 20, 2014 12:59:13 PM