News | Sam Smith

Out Brit Singer Sam Smith Gives Revealing Interview on Being Gay, Famous, and Single: VIDEO

4_smith

Out British singer Sam Smith, whose album In The Lonely Hour is breaking records, stopped by New York's Fresh 102.7 for a lengthy interview on all kinds of topics, from Gay Pride to Speedos.

Smith tells the hosts that Mary J. Blige and Robyn are the favorite celebs he has met, and he used to sing Norah Jones and Chaka Khan in the car when he was younger. He offers the reasons for his high hair, and wonders why people start giving you things as you become more successful. Smith says he smells dead people in thrift shops, and says that Saturday Night Live changed his life. He also says he pays no attention to internet trolls, and has never having been in a relationship.

With NYC Pride coming up, the hosts asked him about being gay and the advice he would give to someone thinking about coming out. Said Smith:

"Just be yourself and don't make [your sexuality] an issue. If other's around you are making an issue, I understand. Fight for your rights, of course. But, also. Let's make it a normality. To make it equal we kind of need to act equal if you know what I mean...The world is getting better in some places. It's getting worse in some places, but everyone needs to just focus on themselves as individuals and do what makes them happy. And be brave. Listen to my record, it will help (laughs)."

Smith also gives his thoughts on Speedos, facial hair, drunk texting, the World Cup, socks and sandals, one night stands, and feet.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "To make it equal we kind of need to act equal..." Sounds a bit self-loathing to me. Perhaps I'm wrong. I've been with my man for more than 25 years (we were VERY YOUNG when we met) and we've never felt the need to try and "act equal" to be accepted. How would one do that anyway? Should I chest on him, beat him one day and ignore him the next? That's what my dad did. Be who are. Live your life. Be happy.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 28, 2014 10:08:41 AM

2. (*chest on him = cheat on him)

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 28, 2014 10:09:30 AM

3. Sam is so cute, love his earrings.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 28, 2014 10:14:54 AM

4. I think his "act equal" comment is open to interpretation. I see it differently from GIGI. Listening to him say it, I think he is saying go ahead and live your life with pride and the attitude that you ARE an equal to everyone else, that your life IS normal, and letting people see that, instead of tying yourself in knots while waiting for societal permission or legislation.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 28, 2014 10:24:27 AM

5. Nice interview to wake up to. Sam seems very comfortable.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 28, 2014 10:41:35 AM

6. I understood the "Act Equal" to mean exactly what DASTIUS KRAZITAUC put forth above.

Posted by: Amell | Jun 28, 2014 11:07:28 AM

7. @DASTIUS KRAZITAUC -- I think you're right. In isolation I think the quote that I referenced sounds different from when you hear it in context. After listening to the interview I understand it to mean be yourself. Realize that you ARE equal. I believe that.

Posted by: Gigi | Jun 28, 2014 12:39:00 PM

8. I can't believe these radio people have not heard of Robyn. That's crazy.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 28, 2014 1:02:17 PM

9. Mike I was thinking the same thing.

Posted by: Brian W. | Jun 28, 2014 1:42:41 PM

10. Mike: Robyn was big in the USA when she was a nordic Britney Spears, then she became an interesting artist and radio ignored her.

But that's not that surprising, radio act like Sia had no career till she start to sing as featured artist in dance tracks

Posted by: jjose712 | Jun 28, 2014 1:53:07 PM

11. I understand.I have never had the need of the "coming out".I have live as a gay guy all my life and done everything a gay guy does and behave as a person in society and had friends of all persuations.Never had the need to when I met somebody to come out with "I'm gay".I'm me and if you do not like it,get out of the way.If I'm ask I will say yes,I'm gay.Sundays my parents had us come for family dinner.My brother brought his girlfriend of the hour and I brought my boyfriend of the hour and introduced him as my friend which it was the truth.When I changed boyfriends my parents always asked what happened to so-and-so and I told them that we were not together anymore.No more explanation was necessary.They did not asked anymore questions but if they had I would have told them what I just said above,that that guy and I were not together anymore,period.So I understanf what Sam is saying.Be yourself and the rest is cr*p.

Posted by: Oscar in Miami Beach | Jun 28, 2014 5:16:47 PM

12. the annoying people are the hosts, with their fake vocal affectation. and they're lying to say they don't know Robyn... all they know is that their station won't touch her records so they need to feign ignorance.

Sam, however, is wonderful, as always.

Posted by: EO | Jun 30, 2014 7:46:43 AM