Jay Brannan | Music Video

Jay Brannan Laments A-Gays And Dating Beneath Yourself In 'Square One' - VIDEO

Brennan

“Square One” — the new song from openly gay singer-songwriter Jay Brannan — is a catchy tune lamenting the mindless consumption of a-gays and the defeatist mindset that ends relationships before they’ve even begun.

The lyrics begin:

Does anybody here have a soul?
Put the thermostat on overdrive, the air is bitter cold.
Everywhere I look is nip & tuck
and every song they play in here is vapid as f--k.

Well I don't give a sh-t about the weekend.
I don't wanna hear about your car or what you're drinkin’.
Don't know what to make of all of it —
the same people claiming it gets better treat everyone like shit…

Melancholy yes, but still charming and worth a listen. The song appears on his latest album Always, Then, & Now and will probably get played during his current tour.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP...

Brannan

Comments

1. Sheesh, sounds a little bitter.

Posted by: Lucas H | Jul 23, 2014 10:02:53 AM

2. What's with all these gay singers that nobody's ever heard of? He doesn't have the voice of a professional singer but the words of the song are good.

Posted by: David From Canada | Jul 23, 2014 10:14:15 AM

3. Love him! I use a lot of his music in my Gay and Lesbian Literature classes... Students eat this guy up!

Posted by: Dr. C | Jul 23, 2014 10:16:57 AM

4. I like the lyrics, I also think he has a voice, but he needs to train it with a professional voice teacher.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jul 23, 2014 10:17:23 AM

5. Only thing more tedious than an A-List is a whiner complaining about an A-List. Most people leave such nonsense behind in high school.

Posted by: James | Jul 23, 2014 10:30:33 AM

6. What a hypocrite! You should have known this queen when he was in college.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 23, 2014 10:48:58 AM

7. I've struggled to understand how performances like this capture so much attention and interest, but here's an article that helped me see it in a bigger picture:

Jay Brannan's music is a great example of [gay] Twee culture.

Posted by: garryo | Jul 23, 2014 10:54:44 AM

8. Maybe it hurts 'cause he's hitting home a bit?

Posted by: peter | Jul 23, 2014 11:02:39 AM

9. Hey CANADA DAVE...the only one unheard of is you. JAY is followed by a lot of people, and has been and will be even more so. His poor-little-sensitive-me pose is damned good, always bitter sweet, but deeply sweet nevertheless. Like everyone else his dominant thoughts are creating his life/music, how could it not be so? Still his sad shtick has charm and beauty and somehow he's lovable.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jul 23, 2014 11:13:51 AM

10. I loved the movie shortbus. But I can't bring myself to listen to this dude's music.

Posted by: spraypaintedgold | Jul 23, 2014 11:20:29 AM

11. I almost love him but like they say, "When you're having the same problem with everyone you meet..."

Posted by: Distingue Traces | Jul 23, 2014 11:42:59 AM

12. DAVID FROM CANADA: Jay was one of the leads in John Cameron Mitchell's 2006 film 'Shortbus.' Big feature article on him in the NY Times around that time. He has at least 5 CDs out. Over the last 6 or 7 years, I've seen him perform multiple times in smaller venues in NYC -- every single show was sold out. I'm seeing him next month at the Highline Ballroom. (Adele played there on her first U.S. tour.)

Sounds EXACTLY like somebody no one's ever heard of...

Posted by: mccoysmarketnyc | Jul 23, 2014 11:44:16 AM

13. I'm a big fan -- and he sings to sold out audiences in L.A. He sings these folksy acoustic songs with lyrics that sting. Sort of like early Janis Ian. Look on iTunes. Based on the comments, obviously not for everyone but its great stuff.

Posted by: Turing's Ghost | Jul 23, 2014 12:00:31 PM

14. I have a friend who has enough money to be an a-gay, and he tells me that they are totally into the cash. They only talk to those who have it. Anyone who doesn't is beneath their notice.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Jul 23, 2014 12:05:06 PM

15. I find it endlessly amusing that this young man's song about vapid conformity in the gay men's world is met with such vitriolic sour grapes. Touché Jay.

Posted by: abandy | Jul 23, 2014 12:13:03 PM

16. His best song is a live acoustic YouTube version of his song "Home." Look it up, dudes.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 23, 2014 1:36:25 PM

17. Well, I've never heard of him till now, though of course that doesn't mean he's never been heard of. Now that someone mentions it, I do remember him from Short Bus. But I'm a stranger to the NYC club scene, and then again also a stranger to the L.A. club scene where I live. I'm pretty out of it, I guess, because I've never even heard of the "Twee" scene. But Jay certainly does have a sweet and bittersweet vibe that's somewhat appealing to me.

Posted by: Zlick | Jul 23, 2014 3:14:35 PM

18. "I find it endlessly amusing that this young man's song about vapid conformity in the gay men's world is met with such vitriolic sour grapes. Touché Jay." - ABANDY

Because deflating pretentious posturing and self-pity equals vapid conformity. How does that work exactly?

Christ almighty, if everywhere you look is nip & tuck and and every song they play is vapid as f--k -- LEAVE!

There is no reason in the world to listen to people talking about there car of what they're drinking if you don't want to. It's your crowd. Go and find a better one instead of sticking around to be annoyed. Teenage problems. I'm switching channels now - like 'Jay' should.

Posted by: H.J. | Jul 23, 2014 4:36:11 PM

19. Bannan has pretty lips. He has beautiful bone facial bone structure. He'll be a star recognized in the mainstream.

Oh, and the wonderful voice, of course.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 23, 2014 4:44:57 PM

20. "BRANNAN"

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 23, 2014 4:45:35 PM

21. It cracks me up that so many comments seem to be about Jay just getting out of the scene he's criticizing with this song if it's a scene he's critical of. Um, it's a SONG. It can be about anything. It doesn't even mean it's a song about some aspect of his lived experience, but even if it is - - it's but an aspect of his lived experience that he wants to comment on. Sheesh. Do you people think ALL songs are autobiographical?

Posted by: Zlick | Jul 23, 2014 4:53:46 PM

22. I didn't like Shortbus ( redundant!) but Jay's cute.

Posted by: iban4yesu | Jul 23, 2014 5:17:15 PM

23. I didn't like Shortbus ( redundant!) but Jay's cute.

Posted by: iban4yesu | Jul 23, 2014 5:17:19 PM

24. A List Gays are Shallow! Shocking just shocking!

Posted by: jarago | Jul 23, 2014 6:14:05 PM

25. Another downer song from Jay Brannon. I don't need that. PS Loved Shortbus.

Posted by: Andy | Jul 23, 2014 8:11:21 PM