Jay Brannan Laments A-Gays And Dating Beneath Yourself In ‘Square One’ – VIDEO

Brennan

“Square One” — the new song from openly gay singer-songwriter Jay Brannan — is a catchy tune lamenting the mindless consumption of a-gays and the defeatist mindset that ends relationships before they’ve even begun.

The lyrics begin:

Does anybody here have a soul?
Put the thermostat on overdrive, the air is bitter cold.
Everywhere I look is nip & tuck
and every song they play in here is vapid as f–k.

Well I don't give a sh-t about the weekend.
I don't wanna hear about your car or what you're drinkin’.
Don't know what to make of all of it —
the same people claiming it gets better treat everyone like shit…

Melancholy yes, but still charming and worth a listen. The song appears on his latest album Always, Then, & Now and will probably get played during his current tour.

Watch the video AFTER THE JUMP…

Brannan

Comments

1. David From Canada says

What’s with all these gay singers that nobody’s ever heard of? He doesn’t have the voice of a professional singer but the words of the song are good.

2. UFFDA says

Hey CANADA DAVE…the only one unheard of is you. JAY is followed by a lot of people, and has been and will be even more so. His poor-little-sensitive-me pose is damned good, always bitter sweet, but deeply sweet nevertheless. Like everyone else his dominant thoughts are creating his life/music, how could it not be so? Still his sad shtick has charm and beauty and somehow he’s lovable.

3. mccoysmarketnyc says

DAVID FROM CANADA: Jay was one of the leads in John Cameron Mitchell’s 2006 film ‘Shortbus.’ Big feature article on him in the NY Times around that time. He has at least 5 CDs out. Over the last 6 or 7 years, I’ve seen him perform multiple times in smaller venues in NYC — every single show was sold out. I’m seeing him next month at the Highline Ballroom. (Adele played there on her first U.S. tour.)

Sounds EXACTLY like somebody no one’s ever heard of…

4. Turing's Ghost says

I’m a big fan — and he sings to sold out audiences in L.A. He sings these folksy acoustic songs with lyrics that sting. Sort of like early Janis Ian. Look on iTunes. Based on the comments, obviously not for everyone but its great stuff.

5. Wilberforce says

I have a friend who has enough money to be an a-gay, and he tells me that they are totally into the cash. They only talk to those who have it. Anyone who doesn’t is beneath their notice.

6. abandy says

7. Zlick says

Well, I’ve never heard of him till now, though of course that doesn’t mean he’s never been heard of. Now that someone mentions it, I do remember him from Short Bus. But I’m a stranger to the NYC club scene, and then again also a stranger to the L.A. club scene where I live. I’m pretty out of it, I guess, because I’ve never even heard of the “Twee” scene. But Jay certainly does have a sweet and bittersweet vibe that’s somewhat appealing to me.

8. H.J. says

“I find it endlessly amusing that this young man’s song about vapid conformity in the gay men’s world is met with such vitriolic sour grapes. Touché Jay.” – ABANDY

Because deflating pretentious posturing and self-pity equals vapid conformity. How does that work exactly?

Christ almighty, if everywhere you look is nip & tuck and and every song they play is vapid as f–k — LEAVE!

There is no reason in the world to listen to people talking about there car of what they’re drinking if you don’t want to. It’s your crowd. Go and find a better one instead of sticking around to be annoyed. Teenage problems. I’m switching channels now – like ‘Jay’ should.

9. Derrick from Philly says

Bannan has pretty lips. He has beautiful bone facial bone structure. He’ll be a star recognized in the mainstream.

Oh, and the wonderful voice, of course.

10. Zlick says

It cracks me up that so many comments seem to be about Jay just getting out of the scene he’s criticizing with this song if it’s a scene he’s critical of. Um, it’s a SONG. It can be about anything. It doesn’t even mean it’s a song about some aspect of his lived experience, but even if it is – – it’s but an aspect of his lived experience that he wants to comment on. Sheesh. Do you people think ALL songs are autobiographical?

11. Dback says

Jay Brannan is exceptionally talented and beautiful (see: “Shortbus” listen to “Goddamned”), but musically he’s the equivalent of biting into what you think is a bright pink-and-white candy, and discovering it’s a Japanese daikon radish. (Sweet voice/music, corrosive lyrics.) You should know based on this description–and the above song/video–if this is someone you respond to, or not.

12. Pinky says

I made it through a minute of the song. It’s okay…certainly nothing of note IMO.
    The voice is nails on a chalk board…I’m a trained singer (whoopee) and he could really use some instruction as previous poster noted.
    Start by lowering an octave.

13. I wont grow up says

He has a wonderful, if small, voice. The video is awful, the song is a real downer.
    If he doesn’t get away from songs to commit suicide by, he’ll have a problem. He will probably have a career but it will be a “folk musicky type” with a coffee house following. He’s certainly not hard on the eyes, if he can act he might do okay.

14. EchtKultig says

Quite to the contrary (btw, I’m musically trained too) he sounds like someone who does not have a natural singing voice at all, and has had some training to at least make it passable. Certainly not nail on a chalk board bad – I guess in the past 12 years you’ve managed to never see one of the thousands of awful American Idol auditions that were broadcast on Fox.

15. JackFknTwist says

What do you mean , ‘never heard of ‘ ?
    Jay has been touring for years and is very popular in Europe.
    I’ve seen all his concerts in Dublin .
    He has a few beautiful vids for his songs and the originality of his material should be appreciated more.
    He has been in ‘Shortbus’ & ‘Holding Trevor’.
    His voice is a quiet intimate one.
    Whether his songs are autobiographical has nothing to do with the case..
    Except perhaps his song “Denmark’ which is heart wrenching and he always/almost always, gets upset when he sings it.

16. JackFknTwist says

I followed Jay for years, both his concerts in Dublin and his acting career.
    Who says they have not heard of him ?
    He’s played all over USA and Europe.
    And yes, I did like “Shortbus”.