Downton Abbey | News | Television

Can You Figure Out What's Wrong with This Season 5 'Downton Abbey' Promo Pic?

Promo

There is something quite wrong here.

Look very closely, and find out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Writes the Mail Online:

ITV hit Downton Abbey will lose serious authenticity after a plastic water bottle caused a very modern mishap on Thursday. The offending item, which has a blue bottle top, can clearly be seen in a promotional picture for the forthcoming fifth series.

The gaffe, which will surely enrage production staff on the smash-hit series, is evident behind Laura Carmichael posing as Lady Edith Crawley with Hugh Bonneville. The continuity error is forty years too soon because plastic bottles like the one seen weren't widely used in the UK until the early 1960s.

The error was discovered by fans of the show in the UK. Somebody's production assistant is getting the axe!

Comments

1. Channeling my inner "Scotty"; How do we know she didn't invent it?

Posted by: Rad | Aug 15, 2014 9:08:31 AM

2. The more serious offense is that the bottle gives away the main plot twist of season five when relatives of the family time travel from the future to visit them.

Posted by: james street james | Aug 15, 2014 9:28:56 AM

3. Uh...gee, this couldn't possibly be for free publicity of the new season.

*shakes head at gullibility*

Posted by: Scudder | Aug 15, 2014 9:29:26 AM

4. You think a show that prides itself on its authenticity would make a purposeful mistake for publicity?

*shakes head at retardation*

Posted by: crispy | Aug 15, 2014 9:32:58 AM

5. I stand by my initial comment.

Fifth season...lost its charm...pay attention to me. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Scudder | Aug 15, 2014 9:39:16 AM

6. I stand by my initial comment.

Fifth season...lost its charm...pay attention to me. Just sayin'.

Posted by: Scudder | Aug 15, 2014 9:39:19 AM

7. Cousin Violet will be apoplectic!

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 15, 2014 9:44:01 AM

8. What's a Downton Abbey?

Posted by: Lymis | Aug 15, 2014 9:56:10 AM

9. How on earth the photographer and publicists didn't spot this is a mystery to me.

Posted by: Charlie | Aug 15, 2014 9:56:17 AM

10. If you think this isn't an attempt at viral marketing, then you really don't understand advertising. I think it's clever because it's not too obvious.

Posted by: Hun | Aug 15, 2014 9:58:54 AM

11. Sweetie, I work in digital marketing. I understand it perfectly fine.

Downton Abbey is one of the most watched shows in the world. It doesn't need unconventional marketing tactics to build buzz, nor would such tactics match the tone of the show or of its distributors at Masterpiece and PBS.

Not everything is a conspiracy. This was a simple mistake.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 15, 2014 10:07:30 AM

12. Rad clearly wins for best comment.

Posted by: Rey | Aug 15, 2014 10:16:17 AM

13. [Gasp!] An anachronism in Downton Abbey? Why, that's almost as rare as an erection in a Bel Ami video.

Posted by: bcarter3 | Aug 15, 2014 10:19:15 AM

14. It's obviously a perfume bottle from the late Art Nouveau period - Pochet, if I am not mistaken. I guess the stereotype of gays being down with antiques doesn't apply here.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Aug 15, 2014 10:46:33 AM

15. I caught the water bottle before scrolling down!

Posted by: daws | Aug 15, 2014 10:59:05 AM

16. They both only have one arm.

Obvious..

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 15, 2014 11:09:45 AM

17. How does a culture ever get so convoluted that everything in its rooms is not just ugly, but hideous.
    It all looks like an addition to the head of Medusa.

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 15, 2014 11:16:05 AM

18. It seems to me that a much bigger gaffe is that since he is in full white tie regalia she would be in a formal evening gown.

Posted by: KURT | Aug 15, 2014 11:36:41 AM

19. Lady Edith becomes one of those uppity women's suffrage types, so maybe that's why she's dressed like this?

Posted by: crispy | Aug 15, 2014 12:05:16 PM

20. Uh... the electric lights in the fireplace behind them...

Posted by: BobN | Aug 15, 2014 12:35:45 PM

21. Guess I'm not that quick. Saw the water bottle buy thought it was a candle under glass. My "Highlights" subscription may be revoked! :(

Posted by: BuckeyeWxGuy | Aug 15, 2014 1:10:34 PM

22. I'm not a production assistant or professional photograph and I spotted the water bottle in about 5 seconds. Folks, these people's whole lives are about attention to detail. They don't make these kind of mistakes. Patrick Demarchelier wouldn't have photographed Lady Diana with a giant zit on her nose. Clearly a viral marketing campaign. Cute though, I must admit.

"It doesn't need unconventional marketing tactics to build buzz," quite to the contrary I think there is a fear it could be losing its steam. We live in an era of ever-shortening attention spans.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Aug 15, 2014 3:01:14 PM

23. Were these bottles really widely used in in the 1960s? I would have sworn they didn't hit the shelves in wide numbers until the 1980s or later.

Posted by: Harold | Aug 15, 2014 6:26:37 PM

24. It's a gaffe for sure, but nothing compared to those ridiculous minilights on the WWI-era Christmas tree.

Posted by: jim | Aug 15, 2014 6:37:15 PM

25. Either a Pochet bottle or a Victorian era glass dildo from Venice. Good one Downton Abbey.

Posted by: Big Bad Bazza | Aug 15, 2014 7:58:28 PM