Michael Sam | NFL

ESPN Apologizes For Segment on Michael Sam's Shower Habits with Teammates: VIDEO

Espn

In an attempt to discuss how Michael Sam is fitting in with his new teammates, ESPN aired a segment Tuesday featuring reporter Josina Anderson discussing Michael Sam's showering habits in the Rams locker room: when he's showering, which teammates he might be showering with, why he might not be showering with others, etc...

You know, important hard-hitting sports journo stuff.

Needless to say, the clumsy report didn't go over well - with Rams defensive end Chris Long tweeting shortly afterwards:

St. Louis Post-Dispatch adds that Rams coach Jeff Fisher was also angry about the report:

Fisher“I’m extremely disappointed in her piece,” Fisher told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday, not long before the team boarded buses for the airport and the trip to Miami for tonight’s preseason finale.

“I think it’s unethical,” Fisher continued. “I think it’s very, very unprofessional. Not only the piece itself, the content. (But also) the manner in which she did it.” [...]

“I’m disappointed for Mike,” Fisher said. “I’m disappointed for the players who she put in this position, and mostly I’m disappointed for her because she felt what she was doing was right — and it wasn’t right.”

ESPN proceeded to issue an apology on Wednesday, saying:

"ESPN regrets the manner in which we presented our report," the network said in a statement. "Clearly yesterday we collectively failed to meet the standards we have set in reporting on LGBT-related topics in sports."

Clearly.

Watch the segment in question, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. ESPN is everything that is wrong with sports media coverage. I cringe when I see those shows with those guys who just sit around and throw out their idiotic opinions about sports. They're just boneheads getting paid to hear themselves talk.

Posted by: Jack M | Aug 28, 2014 8:08:31 AM

2. I wanna see who Bimbo takes a shower with....

Posted by: argeejay | Aug 28, 2014 8:23:08 AM

3. ...but, gotta love Bimbo's fake academic glasses. Must shop with Texas Gov. Perry.

Posted by: argeejay | Aug 28, 2014 8:25:15 AM

4. The Daily Show tackled this as well.

Posted by: Alan | Aug 28, 2014 8:40:04 AM

5. ARGEEJAY. Yes, let's talk about her showering habits. Does she shower alone, with her husband or partner or some random hookup? This is important news.

Posted by: Bollox | Aug 28, 2014 8:43:05 AM

6. Is Fisher disappointed with the anonymous teammate who made the comment to the reporter in the first place?

Posted by: anon | Aug 28, 2014 8:52:59 AM

7. But did he Anon? I think they already have a 'rube' because they also reported that people were not okay with Sam being gay. During the whole Oprah thing.

And is this person even a player?

As a black woman, you'd think she would empathize eh? Especially as gay men are OBSESSED with mean black women being some sort of saints of faghags.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 28, 2014 9:13:06 AM

8. Seperate showers and seperate locker rooms. That's what this reporter expects. Nevermind that she's black and might by some turn of events, be gay herself or at least have a gay best friend. There's no bigotry reflected here. Besides, she was only joking! Can't we all just get alomg?

Posted by: David | Aug 28, 2014 9:16:27 AM

9. YES! Combat the homophobia with racism and misogyny. You white gays never cease to amaze me!

Posted by: Derrick | Aug 28, 2014 9:18:08 AM

10. Look at the bigot DERRICK come to tell us how aweful the "white gays" are, but you see, not all of the above commenters are white.

Yes Derrick,we know you hate white people.

Posted by: Justkeepingitreal | Aug 28, 2014 9:37:54 AM

11. @ "Yes Derrick,we know you hate white people."

No, he doesn't--just the racist ones.

What is the point of this stupid ESPN news report?

Oh, God. I knew I shouldn't have started off my work day reading the comments on Towleroad-- knowing that I can't open my flask until 4:00pm.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 28, 2014 9:43:43 AM

12. @Rowan and David
    Straight black women are among the most homophobic people around. It's good to know that white gay men are starting to wake up to a reality that I, a black gay man, have known about for a long time.

The "down-low" hysteria (JL King's book about the DL came out in 2004 and he appeared on the Oprah show that same year) has contributed greatly to the homophobia among many straight black women.

Some straight black women think that "straight" black men are being "flipped" (i.e., turned out) by gay men. Saying this does not make me, a black gay man, a misogynist. It makes me a truth teller.

I have actually had this discussion with a number of straight black women. The rise of openly gay black male athletes like Jason Collins and Michael Sam has contributed to this way of thinking among many straight black women. Some straight black women feel that the gays are "taking" the best black men from them.

Posted by: elg | Aug 28, 2014 10:07:19 AM

13. @ ELG,

interesting comment. If Black women are more homophobic then they are comparable to their White Southern Baptist counterparts--they come from the same religious tradition.

But you hit on something very important, and that's issue of available Black men for Black women.

Thirty years ago I was angry when I saw an inter-racial Gay couple. BECAUSE I COULDN'T GET A MAN (except on the streets or park after midnight). I was BITTER. Now, I'm not. I look at Michael Sam and his partner, and I say, "good for y'all." They found love and commitment.

I tell my single Black female co-workers, "Y'all better send over to China or India for mail order husbands. They've got plenty young single men over there." I wonder if I can get me one?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 28, 2014 10:27:10 AM

14. Dear straight people,

Please stop being obsessed with our shower habits.

We are not interested in yours.

Posted by: R | Aug 28, 2014 10:35:30 AM

15. @ELG: That's a broad brush you're painting with.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2014 10:45:49 AM

16. The Daily Show response to this hilariously summed up the absurdity. Watch and learn from Samantha Bee, Josina.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 28, 2014 10:46:47 AM

17. Shanaynay...@Derrick...get your weave out of a knot girl...it's tired.

Posted by: Johnnybegood | Aug 28, 2014 11:33:28 AM

18. @Derrick from Philly
    I said straight black women were among the most homophobic people around. I did NOT say that they were more homophobic than other groups. Do not twist my words.

We white and black gays have been going back and forth over whether black people are more or less homophobic than other groups for years now and I'm at the point where I'm ready to move on.

It has taken me a long time to arrive at this position but I now feel that black people, who regularly complain about "institutionalized racism" to anyone who will listen, don't have the "right" to be homophobic. AT. ALL.

I will NOT support or defend homophobic straight black people under any circumstances. Straight black people can defend themselves against charges that they are more homophobic, if they care to. I am not going to do their heavy lifting. What's in it for me? Nothing.

Btw, I forgot to say in my earlier comment that the high HIV/AIDS infection rates among black women, which JL King blamed almost exclusively on "DL" men in his book, has also contributed to straight black women's homophobia. The homophobia of many straight black women is, in part, a hysterical response to the so-called "black man shortage" and the high HIV/AIDS infection rates among black women. But it's still wrong.

Posted by: elg | Aug 28, 2014 11:58:21 AM

19. @ "I did NOT say that they were more homophobic than other groups. "

& "Straight black women are among the most homophobic people around."

ELG,

We've read each other's posting over the years. I don't think twisted your words. Maybe I misinterpreted what you originally said.

@ "Shanaynay...@Derrick...get your weave out of a knot girl...it's tired."

Yes, Rick, Enchantra, Leanne, MaryM & old Hagatha (and Petey). You use some decent shampoo on the hair between your buttocks...to get rid of the knots. No crystal meth addict will able to get his thing in there.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 28, 2014 12:16:59 PM

20. @Crispy
    "I did my own discussions with "some black women." Turns out they don't all share the same views and opinions. They don't even all know how to twerk."

Which is why I said "SOME" and "MANY".

And who said anything about twerking?

Posted by: elg | Aug 28, 2014 12:26:11 PM

21. Interesting "behind the veil" discussion here.

My slight contribution...

Contrary to popular opinion, suffering does not ennoble a group of people.

Black people are no exception to that rule, in my opinion, and it's naive and maybe even a little racist to think that way.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Aug 28, 2014 12:31:47 PM

22. @Derrick...put the flask away, it's too early in the day. But, as you can see...you're not getting much support here for your racism. ELG has it right...in every way...esp. the "right to homophobia" part. I don't care that you're black D...just that you consistently group all us white fools in one boat. You don't have the corner on pity...I suggest you dump that routine and look for something else. Maybe spend some time at an "inner beauty" spa. Money well spent.

Posted by: Johnnybegood | Aug 28, 2014 12:48:21 PM

23. Actually, ELG, you started out your comment with "Straight black women..." There was no "some" qualifier. And you do in fact use "many" later on.

There's an implication throughout your comment that the women you've discussed this issue with are representative of all straight black women.

If that's not what you believe, you should choose your words more carefully.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2014 12:50:14 PM

24. "just that you consistently group all us white fools in one boat."

Oh please. Derrick and I have been chatting with one another across this blog for nearly a decade, and he has never once marginalized me like that.

It's not all white people he's putting in the same boat.

It's the fools. Float on.

Posted by: crispy | Aug 28, 2014 12:58:33 PM

25. @Crispy...then you obviously don't read well.
    Derrick's been consistently nasty...and if you could read, you would know it. You both must be drinking the same thing.

Posted by: Johnnybegood | Aug 28, 2014 1:06:57 PM