Iraq | Jake Gyllenhaal | Keith Olbermann | Mika | Military | Music | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube | YouTube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #70

JAKE GYLLENHAAL: Promo for this Saturday's SNL episode with The Shins.

AIR FORCE ACADEMY PREP SCHOOL: Show off their hats.

KEITH OLBERMANN: Bush's Iraq missteps so far.

MIKA: The London Paper interviews pop's 'bright new hope'. Watch Mika explode in 2007.

Check out our past guides to the Tube here!

Comments

1. Mika does remind me of Scissor Sisters and they both remind me of Queen and that's a GOOD thing. I think that's why I like Scissor Sisters and why I will probably like Mika.

Does anyone else see/hear the modern incarnation of Freddie Mercury in these guys?

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 12, 2007 10:01:26 AM

2. Mika is AMAZING. I love him and can't wait for his album to come to the states!

Listen to more of his songs at:

Posted by: ILOVEMIKA | Jan 12, 2007 10:22:43 AM

3. Ok, the Air Force guys, wtf? Don't even tell me they aren't gay. That was gay without trying lol. The guy with the lilght pink bunny ears, hawt. lol

Mika: I'm sold

Olberman: Dart. Bullseye... but what else is new... and to think I still argue with my father over Bush. Ugh. I love how the Republikkklans are quick to judge everyone but their own lot. They hate the Clintons (in general) for the same things their own party is guilty off (but not nearly as horrendous as most of them). Politics: the new STD.

Posted by: Cory | Jan 12, 2007 10:32:49 AM

4. A promo for Jake on SNL?!!!
    You must thrilled about Beckham coming to the states -- now you have continued fodder for the Tiger Beat crowd while Jake is between films.

Posted by: Scott | Jan 12, 2007 10:53:15 AM

5. Scissor Sisters is no Freddy Murcury. Their campy style turns me off. Think I'm the only gay man that can't stand camp or drag queens. Just find it sad. That said, Mika is refreshing. Such a strong voice and personality. No make-up either. Would agree. He will be HUGE when he hits this year.

Posted by: Brent | Jan 12, 2007 10:55:23 AM

6. Brent: You're not the only one.

Posted by: Cory | Jan 12, 2007 11:00:19 AM

7. I am not a super huge Scissor Sisters fan and I'm not sold on MIKA either, but I dig the fact that record company exec's are giving us choices. Seems they don't usually bother to promote the "non-product" artists, yet here we have Jake & The Gang and MIKA. I like that.

Besides, Scissor Sisters are fun. Camp or not, sometimes I like to leave pop seriousness aside and just have fun.

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 12, 2007 11:23:35 AM

8. Thats it...

Thats fucking it!

I don't care if I get dragged off to Iraq! I'm going to fucking enlist!

Posted by: Damon | Jan 12, 2007 11:31:19 AM

9. Brent, you don't think Freddie Mercury was camp?

Freddie Mercury was the QUEEN of camp.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 12, 2007 11:50:25 AM

10. @Scott: Agree with you 100%

Zeke I can't believe we finally disagree on something! I just don't get what people see in the Scissor Sisters. I tried, but all I hear is noise. Public Enemy said it best: Don't Believe The Hype!
    Let's see if Mika lives up to the hype. He is cute though.

I thought the Air Force thing was stupid but oddly erotic. Jeeze, I need to get laid.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Olbermann for President! And by the way, did you know that Bush sent US troops to invade the Iranian embassy yesterday and arrested 6 members...all against international law??!! World leaders are outraged and denounce his actions. Notice the timing of this invasion? Right after his speech which targeted Iran and Syria and his call for 22,000 more troops.
    Pray my darlings, because if this psycho starts a war with Iran, we will be standing alone.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 12, 2007 11:55:53 AM

11. omg MIKA is SCRUMPTIOUS

Posted by: rascal | Jan 12, 2007 12:06:22 PM

12. Soulbrotha, I'm CRUSHED! ;)

Actually I should probably qualify my statement. I've, maybe, heard two Scissor Sister songs, and that was about two years ago, so I don't know how much I would like them overall.

I should have said that I really liked the two Scissor Sister videos that I saw because they reminded me very much of Queen, one of my alltime favorite groups. I guess it would be a stretch to say that I am a fan of the group based on two videos, but who knows?

Actually pop music really isn't my favorite style of music to begin with.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 12, 2007 12:20:00 PM

13. Those AF guys are humpy.

Posted by: Je | Jan 12, 2007 12:28:02 PM

14. Guess what Zeke? I went to Mika's website and listened to the songs and you are right, he does sound like Freddie Mercury. So see we do agree!
    Whew! All is right with the world again! ;)

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 12, 2007 12:29:08 PM

15. As a matter of fact, he references Freddie in his song "Grace Kelly".

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 12, 2007 12:36:46 PM

16. Mika's incredible! I'm thrilled he's been getting so much attention lately. He certainly deserves it. Everything I've heard from him so far has been spectacular, although in some ways I wish he could be my little secret.

Posted by: Steve G | Jan 12, 2007 12:38:39 PM

17. Intrigued by the website, I called up my glamourous industry insider friends and had someone forward me the unreleased copy of his new album. Suffice to say, Mika is one fierce bitch.

Can't wait till it hits the street.

Posted by: Gander | Jan 12, 2007 12:42:31 PM

18. My husband is a big American Idol fan. I can barely endure it!

Although I must admit that I watched every episode with Chris Daughtry (last season) like a teenaged school girl and went out and bought his CD as soon as it came out.

Daughtry's music is much more my style, and he's one damn fine sexy man to boot.

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 12, 2007 12:47:58 PM

19. Sorry for the out of place last post. It was supposed to have directly followed my comment about not being a particular fan of pop music, but a neighbor came to the door needing help with something so the post got separated from the comment I intended it to follow up.

Damned helpless hetero neighbors! They always come to the neighborhood homo when they need something built or when their car breaks down.

I guess I can't complain because he cuts my hair.

What a screwed up world we live in when the homos do the heteros car/home repairs and the heteros do our hair! Sheesh!

Gotta love it!

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 12, 2007 12:58:08 PM

20. LEAVE JAKE ALONE! :-)

Posted by: tc | Jan 12, 2007 1:16:06 PM

21. Thanks for the clips, Andy. Always enjoy the "Towleroad Guide to the Tube." The Jake G. on "SNL" was cute. Looking forward to the show.

Don't know what people's problem with him (or your posts about him) is. Their comments just make them seem even more childish than the Tiger Beat "kids" they claim are his fans. If you don't like something Andy posts then there is always the "scroll" button.

Posted by: Yeah | Jan 12, 2007 1:58:15 PM

22. Since I don't have "glamorous industry insider friends" like Gander does, I had to go the unconnected man's route, i.e the Internet. God how I love the WWW! Anyhoo, found Mika's album, downloaded it and listened. IMHO, I think it's a big stretch to call him a "fierce bitch". It's cute pop. Some of it catchy, some not.
    Influences:
    Musically: Queen, Human League and I guess Scissor Sisters, although I'm not the best judge of that.
    Vocally: Freddie Mercury, Bee Gees and Leo Sayer (but in a good way).

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 12, 2007 2:28:04 PM

23. Bottom line, it's AIGHT. I wouldn't buy it, but a couple of the songs are good when you need a quick pick-me-up.

Posted by: soulbrotha | Jan 12, 2007 2:31:46 PM

24. I really like the look Mika gives the camera after commenting that Sir Elton hasn't invited him to tea. Made me laugh out loud.

Sidenote: Maybe little Johnny Weir should skate to 'Grace Kelly'--I'm just sayin'...heh

Posted by: basis4insanity | Jan 12, 2007 2:51:36 PM

25. Actually, the US did not invade the Iranian embassy, it raided some offices of some sort of Iranian govt. agency in northern Iraq (Kurdish area) and arrested Iranian govt. officials. I doubt they had diplomatic immunity, which would not protect them from acts of war anyway. Likewise, I would not expect the Iranians to be up to any good regardless. An invasion of Iran would be a BIG story, don't you think?

Posted by: Anon | Jan 12, 2007 3:44:37 PM