Film | Gerard Butler | News

Gerard Butler Prepares to be a Spartan for 300

Gerard_butler_1

Scottish actor Gerard Butler put himself through a brutal work-out regimen for his role as King Leonidas, leader of a 300-strong army of Spartans in the upcoming adaptation of Frank Miller's graphic novel 300:

"We would do a lot of circuit training using a lot of primitive tools like kettle bells, medicine balls, rings and huge elastic things which attached to the wall. You would have to run and then stop and hold. I also worked with the stunt people in an non-air conditioned warehouse and that was like an oven inside. That was the stuff that really made you sweat. I was pretty much naked and the floor would be soaking wet with our sweat."

Men's Health takes us there in the latest issue. 300 premieres on March 9th. Check out the trailers here, and our previous coverage here.

Gerard_butler_2 Gerard_butler_3

And here's Butler's finished product:

300_1_1_1

You may have missed...
300: Warrior Fetishists Unite! [tr]

Comments

1. Ohhh i can't wait to see this. And where can I sign up for these warehouse workouts?

Posted by: Scott | Feb 21, 2007 10:15:58 AM

2. GOD! That man is HOT.

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 21, 2007 10:42:45 AM

3. I wonder if the movie will cover how children born in Sparta were evaluated within days for physical defects and non-perfect babies tossed off a mountain cliff to their deaths....Boys were then allowed to live with their mothers for 7 years at which time they were snatched away and forced to live in the mountains in clans of other boys like wild animals (homosexual liasons encouraged by spartan legal system because it made for better armies)till the age of 12 and then under the spartan legal system aprenticed off to an older soldier (male) to be their trainee and lover. A man with a beard could not be allowed to be buggered but was encouraged to bugger boys. Females were only for procreation as evidenced by men in Spart not living with their wives but rather living in barack set ups with other men.

The Spartans held to "women are for babies while men are for love"

This made for a tighter nit millitary...the slaves like slaves anywhere were lucky to live in a horse stable after working all day.

I do not think the movie will cover any of that at all.

The previews also look sucky historicaly in that quite a few characters look more out of Lord of the Rings than actual humans.

Visualy though it looks stunning.

:-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 21, 2007 10:55:14 AM

4. 300 was originally a comic book by Frank Miller. It doesn't have a lot of historical depth like you are suggesting Jimboyo. It's more story orientated.

Posted by: Matthew | Feb 21, 2007 10:59:41 AM

5. some info on the graphic novel here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_%28comic_book%29
    it should be a very stylized movie visually. Frank Miller also did Sin City.

But i think a movie about what Jimmyboyo is talking about would be really interesting.

Posted by: Scott | Feb 21, 2007 11:13:44 AM

6. Quit stating the obvious about spartan soldiers that "we" already knew Jimboyo and get a life...(and get to a gym cause you sound a lttle fat and jealous......)

Posted by: alan brickman | Feb 21, 2007 11:20:10 AM

7. I think a film about the Scared Band of Thebes would be great! This one sounds very similar, but without the gay love:

Posted by: Jeff | Feb 21, 2007 11:22:30 AM

8. Well, pardon me, but I didn't know about that stuff about the Spartans. Guess that makes me fat, jealous AND stupid.

Posted by: David | Feb 21, 2007 11:23:28 AM

9. Why the lack of air-conditioning? How does that help with the workout? Can someone please explain?

Posted by: puzzled | Feb 21, 2007 11:27:16 AM

10. Face it: Ancient Greek democracy was based on a slavery system which made it possible in the first place. Ironic, no?

Posted by: dystop | Feb 21, 2007 11:36:53 AM

11. A "Before" pic:

Posted by: sam | Feb 21, 2007 11:46:50 AM

12. Alan. Simmer. I hadn't a clue about the Spartans so don't throw me in your collective bag o' knowledge...why be so aggressively mean and condescending?

Posted by: jason | Feb 21, 2007 11:50:57 AM

13. What a change!

Posted by: Je | Feb 21, 2007 1:30:23 PM

14. I'm not a bulge watcher but does anyone else see a little something in that before pic?

Posted by: IL Fornaio | Feb 21, 2007 1:36:21 PM

15. alan brickman

Peace be with you child. Though you are probably 50 years older than me, you are a child raging against a mental, emotional, and spiritual giant compared to you.

:-)

Send me some picks of you and I will gladly send you some of me...just click on my name. Then we can see who is the hotty...ME....and who is the nebish... YOU (don't know what nebish means then look it up)

:-)

A hot fuck with a brain though a horrible speller
    JIMMYBOYO
    :-)

PS: The Spartans didn't fight in clothes. Just Naked Flesh, a helmet, and a shield.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 21, 2007 1:49:02 PM

16. Jimboyo, Jimboyo you sound really hot,
    Give us all a taste of what you got!

Heyyyyy!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Feb 21, 2007 2:18:38 PM

17. Message 1 to Jimmyboyo: Sorry to interrupt your pseudointellectual ejaculations, but there is no consensus among historians that either most Greeks, nor Spartans especially, actually, typically practiced "buggery" with their younger charges. There are more extant graphic representations of intercrural intercourse, also known as interfemoral intercourse, a variation of frottage in which one rubs his penis between his partner's thighs from the front or rear, than of anal intercourse. Plutarch wrote that the Spartans adult/boy relationships were entirely nonsexual, though other records disagree.

Message 2 to Jimmyboyo: Your shrink called and they think they've found a cure for your advanced case of a disease that also has historical Greek connotations: "Reichenesque Narcissism."

Addendum, particularly to those previously unaware of the legend of the 300 being composed of male partners and/or lovers: the selection of the lower case Greek letter lambda, in 1970 by New York City's Gay Activist Alliance as a symbol for gay liberation was based, in part, in reference to the Lacedaemonians, another name for the Spartans, and, specifically, that some believe the lambda was on their shields. Of course, it has been mostly eclipsed by the rainbow flag, but its valiant history lives on in the name of one of our few worthwhile national organizations, Lambda Legal.

Posted by: Leland | Feb 21, 2007 2:44:19 PM

18. I'd definitely see the flick if someone else paid my way. This guy was wretched as the Phantom.

Posted by: 000000 | Feb 21, 2007 5:01:59 PM

19. Oh leland

(The ephors fined any eligible man who did not love a boy, because, despite his own excellence, he failed to make a beloved “similar to himself.”[6] Likewise, for a boy it was a disgrace to not find a lover,[7]. By the time they reached the age of twelve "there was not any of the more hopeful boys who did not have a lover to bear him company."[8])

A quick internet search shows that the only sites/ so-called shcolars that debate the homosexual actions of ancient greece are xtian apologists who go and on about Glorious Jeebussssssss and the bible along with their trying to debunk the wide spread homosexual acts of Ancient Greece.

Come on now, you are too smart to fall for xtian propaganda

I personaly do not support pederasty, prefering for myself a man a year or 2 or 3 older than myself...anyway

I didn't bring this subject up for no reason. For a movie to claim to be about a historical people and then to be completly off base historicaly is assinine. They could have simply made this movie about some fictitous civilization that did not exist instead of one we know quite a bit about.

On the narcisim schtick.....

Dude, I have posted on Towleroad for close to 2 years..maybe more...and this is the first time ever that I have tooted my own horn about my looks due to someone first attacking me.

reichenesque narcissim is better than your Reichenesque Obsesion borderline CRAZY

otherwise you seem like a cool guy

:-)

soulbrotha :-) LOL

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 21, 2007 5:08:29 PM

20. Leland, I'm with Jimmyboyo here, you're off mark on this one...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Feb 21, 2007 6:14:01 PM

21. Robert in Weho

:-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 21, 2007 6:45:04 PM

22. Holy catfight!

I think the point of the original post was "Lookit gerard Butler's boobies"...

However, gotta go with Jimmyboyo -- especially after the best ALexander could show was "longing glances"... and that even after the casting director went to the trouble of casting Jared Leto even prettier and tinier than Colin Farrel...

Film about the Army of Lovers? Made in the US which doesn't even allow "gays" in the military? I'm there.

Posted by: strepsi | Feb 21, 2007 7:28:08 PM

23. I hope that, unlike Sin City, there is some sort of substance or reason for doing it other than just bringing a comic book to life. I thought Sin City was dreadful, misogynistic blather and once you got past the striking visuals you were left with a surprising amount of posturing and really, really, bad dialogue.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 21, 2007 7:35:34 PM

24. Oh jeese. I am sorry. I didn't realize I had stepped into the middle of a history lesson. What gives? Wasn't this about Gerard Butler (who, coincidentally, looks pretty hot...although not with the triangle beard) and even with the alleged historical blunders, the movie looks pretty awesome. So how's about we all get off the high horses (myself included in this) and get back to the topic. And for the record: jimmyboyo, that whole first post that you gave seemed like you were showing off just a little. I mean, good on you, but I don't really care. Quoting a site that can be edited by anybody? (Wikipedia? Come on, you're smarter than that!) That's just not cool. And leland IS right about the historical facts, even if a little harsh --> I'm Greek and majored in Classics in University. Sorry for any callousness! It was unintentional... :D

Posted by: Alexiandra | Feb 21, 2007 7:52:32 PM

25. Pseudo what Leland? Pseudo what?

Um, paging Kettle, paging Kettle, black pot is calling.

Jimmyboyo you keep spouting whatever you want. I enjoy your posts and I happen to know for a fact that you are neither old nor fat and a hell of a lot easier on the eyes than most of the bitter old queens who find a younger intellectual threatening.

Posted by: mark m | Feb 21, 2007 8:38:11 PM