Anderson Cooper | Ben Patrick Johnson | Fashion Men | Gay Rights | Gay Slurs | Jennifer Hudson | Karl Lagerfeld | Marc Jacobs | Music | News | Thomas Roberts

BigGayDeal.com

News: Thomas Roberts, Burger King, Karl Lagerfeld, Gay Ghettos

road.jpg Fashion designer Marc Jacobs checks into rehab.

Roberts_7road.jpg Thomas Roberts to open up to Anderson Cooper about sexual abuse at the hands of a Catholic priest: "My abuser was Father Jeff Toohey, a trusted man of God. He was the equivalent of a religious celebrity in my private all-boys Catholic school in Baltimore, Maryland. Father Jeff was every boy's friend and mentor. I considered him my mentor as well. When my parents divorced, I was sent to Father Jeff to help me cope with all the changes. Divorce in the mid-1980s still seemed so foreign. Plus, I was just a kid, and I didn't know much about divorce. I just knew it sucked. All I had at that time in my life was my family and school. Those were my constants. But as my family fell apart, so did my life at school. After the abuse began, high school became a prison of shame and lies."

road.jpg Cyndi Lauper to headline True Colours tour in June to promote gay rights, benefiting HRC: "The tour, sponsored by Logo, the MTV Networks channel targeting gay audiences, will provide information to fans who attend, as well as purple wristbands with the slogan "Erase Hate" from the Matthew Shepard organization, named for a gay youth killed in an apparent hate crime. A dollar from every ticket sold will be earmarked for the Human Rights Campaign, which advocates equal rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people." Tour will also feature Deborah Harry, Erasure and Margaret Cho.

road.jpg Andrew Christian models show off the goods at Las Vegas magic show.

road.jpg This morning I posted Jennifer Hudson's comments regarding her former employer, Burger King. The restaurant chain has now offered her free meals for life.

road.jpg Gay ghettos dying: "Don Reuter, a New York writer researching a book on the rise and fall of gay neighborhoods in the U.S., said he has observed a trend in cities as far-flung as New Orleans, Philadelphia and Seattle: Gay neighborhoods are becoming 'Disneyfied' places, with chain stores and other businesses with little or no overt appeal to gays. 'What makes these neighborhoods gay? Not much,' he concluded. As the fear of AIDS has eased, gay neighborhoods have become attractive to developers and investors trying to encourage families and empty-nesters to return to city centers, Reuter said."

road.jpg BBC presenter criticized after calling comedy show contestant "a big gayer" for tearing up.

Lagerfeldroad.jpg The New Yorker has published an extensive profile on Karl Lagerfeld, who, in addition to having a dashing personal assistant/bodyguard, prefers to stay in the now: "Lagerfeld’s determination to stay current requires ruthlessness and a lack of sentimentality. He periodically rids himself of art, objects, and places that, previously, had been sources of inspiration and pleasure. People are not exempt. “He kind of passes on, because he doesn’t like the past,” one of the people who travels in Lagerfeld’s circle says. “So then he decides you’re the past and then he just puts you in the trash.” Lagerfeld says, “I have an entourage of people of today. Because people can work with me for a hundred years but they have to stay informed. And no regrets, no remove, not saying, ‘Oh, things were better then.’ ” According to his publishing partner, Gerhard Steidl, when Lagerfeld reads a thick paperback, he tears out the pages as he finishes them."

road.jpg Ben Patrick Johnson launches his videoblog with an interview with Marcellas Reynolds.

Comments

1. Luv Cyndi Lauper [her a capella version of "The Times They Are A Changing" could move mountains] but everyone please write Logo and her and tell them to give the $$$ cut to the Matthew Shepard Foundation or Soulforce or GLSEN or PFLAG not that useless pack of moneysuckers at HRC. And while this evaluation by the charity tracking grouo Charity Navigator misuse of much of the money they suck in [by non-profit standards—no evaluation of their policies] predates Hired Gun Joe Solomnese's tenure, there's no reason they're wasting less. "The HRC got one star over all (which means "Fails to meet industry standards and performs well below most charities in its Cause") and zero stars for efficiency (which means "Performs far below industry standards and below nearly all charities in its Cause").

Posted by: Leland | Mar 12, 2007 6:45:58 PM

2. "... there's no reason to believe they're wasting less. ..."

Posted by: Leland | Mar 12, 2007 6:47:42 PM

3. OMG, that's Janice DICKINSON'S Soren in the clip. HAAHAHAH. YOU GO GIRL!

Congratulations to Andrew for his continued success.

And for what it's worth, AussieBum can suck it.

Posted by: FizziekruntNT | Mar 12, 2007 7:12:15 PM

4. True Colours? How unexpectedly British.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 12, 2007 8:10:29 PM

5. sin?? i'm so sick of hearing about sin....hubris could be sin....stealing from other civilizations and calling it your own for edification while building nothing from that point is pathetic. and, a sin.

sin?? i'm so sick of hearing about sin. a fake war, a real war -- all of it's destroying numerous lives.

false reporting?? sin lies and uber lies that go with them....harming plenty when things could be building and enlightening.....?? LIES and sin...all of it.

sin?? i'm sick of hearing about sin with a mulitple cast of pathetic perverts functioning at half-mast...

Posted by: ricardo | Mar 12, 2007 8:10:50 PM

6. That's sad about the gay ghettos dying, but that's the way "progress" goes, I guess.

Marc, what can I say? Too much pressure in the fashion industry? As someone who had to go to rehab 3 times for it to stick, sometimes it takes a while for it to sink in. You look great though! Hang in there!!

I don't know what to think about Karl. I guess he has the right attitude. It really IS better to live in the moment. You can't sit around thinking about the past, but then again, you have to enjoy memories, so it's a fine line. If you live TOTALLY in the moment without looking back, you miss the perpective and life lessons, but with his life, I can certainly see how much information he has to wade through constantly just to keep up, so it is probably necessary. It looks exhausting though.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 12, 2007 8:18:14 PM

7. Hey, anybody here General such & such call homosexuality "immoral" on tv? Along with adultrery with another servicemen's wife(notice how he didn't say husband, I guess women can't be soldiers, huh?). Tool.

Posted by: FanGirlHater | Mar 12, 2007 8:19:35 PM

8. Cyndi Lauper to headline True Colours tour in June to promote gay rights, benefiting HRC: "The tour, sponsored by Logo, the MTV Networks channel targeting gay audiences (!!!). Tour will also feature Deborah Harry, Erasure and Margaret Cho.
    __________________________

Though I think the concert idea is great, I have two small problems:

1) Where are hip, young singers from this era? Why aren't they represented in a line-up for a show for gay rights? There are certainly other "has-been" (and I mean this humourously) from the teen pop era that HRC could have gone to. Like seriously, how dull is it to appeal to this generations and serve them a tour with music that they are not likely to even buy.

2) Where are the GAY artists in their line up aside for Rufus and The Gossip? f#%$in' HRC and Logo, who should know about our artists' struggles for visibility, and include more in their line up: Ari Gold (#1 on Logo for months), Nemesis Rising, rappers Deadlee, Soce, God-Des & She (who have on Logo), singers Levi Kreis, Eric Himan etc..

Posted by: Da | Mar 12, 2007 8:50:06 PM

9. OMG i want the tattoo thatthe first model for the Andrew Christian model had!!! It is perfect just the thing that i was looking for! damn now i got to try and get a good shot of it.

If anybody has a good pic of that guys arm and or back please post a link for me!

Posted by: Nick | Mar 12, 2007 8:58:01 PM

10. Sorry to be P.I. here, but in reference to the anchor: lucky priest!

Posted by: Antaeus | Mar 12, 2007 9:28:26 PM

11. Hottest. Models. Ever.

Posted by: Jordan | Mar 12, 2007 11:58:27 PM

12. If I don't see a post on this blog tomorrow, by Andy, ripping the Thomas Roberts' interview to shreds...I'll have lost all respect for Andy.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 13, 2007 12:24:16 AM

13. I watched the Thomas Roberts interview by that uber gay A Coop. I must say my respect and attraction for Mr Roberts has only grown. It took much courage to face his abuser and be so open about it. Plus he is just so damn good looking!

Posted by: Dave | Mar 13, 2007 12:56:34 AM

14. the cnn piece about the gay newsman with all the regrets about his and another gay guy's affairs with a good-looking young priest was a melodramtic piece of dreck .. set to sad, tinkly piano music no less.
    the sex was, apparently, SO awful that they both had to keep going back again and again for more "abuse" from age 15 to 24. puh-leeze. it's not like they were forced to fuck a nun.. haha. shame on anderson (someone else who has some major issues) cooper for this one.

Posted by: el polacko | Mar 13, 2007 1:02:35 AM

15. Now the only shame Thomas has to face is his sexuality, which it would seem he cannot talk about.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 13, 2007 1:08:25 AM

16. Mike,

Thomas Roberts has already come out of the closet publicly while speaking at the 2006 annual convention of the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists.

xo
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 13, 2007 1:24:33 AM

17. I was disappointed in the Roberts interview for a couple of reasons. For one, it was a bit melodramatic for a "news" show. It didn't tell us anything we didn't already know about abusive priests and there was no mention of Roberts being gay. This might have been a good thing if some viewers then assume that the molestation "made" him gay somehow, but then the other victim made a big deal about being gay, so that didn't help. Likewise, while it was clear that Roberts felt cornered by the priest (worried about getting kicked out of a good school), why was victim number two only getting beyond "petting and fondling" at age 19? This sounds like sex to a lot of people since he was well beyond the age of consent. (Apparently the "hugging" and "putting hands through hair" started around age 15 or 16). There must be more to the story than that. It was hinted at that Robert's mother was suffering from depression and was perhaps emotionally unavailable, which would also have been helpful to the viewer, but not the predator/victim angle. Now, just imagine if they had covered Robert's professional life: it would sound like a fantasy with one success after another. No mention of his personal life. Where is he with that today? Dating at all? It sounds like a book will be coming soon to stores near you.

Posted by: anon | Mar 13, 2007 1:46:50 AM

18. Good luck to Marc.

I liked the Thomas Roberts interview. It showed how a person can feel powerless when abuse occurs. Maybe it will give someone that is experiencing it now the courage to speak out.

Cyndi Lauper is wonderful. I agree with DA though.

The fall of gay ghettos is an important thing. I think it has a net negative affect. It means that gay people are more dispersed which they already are. It also means that they no longer hold power in a certain area and have to go to straight overlords in order to get things done.

I'm excited that Ben Johnson has his videoblog back up.

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 13, 2007 3:58:11 AM

19. Peter Parker,

All the more reason for him to talk about how he's in a good place right now mentally. All the more reason to show how he is happy with himself.

Posted by: Mike | Mar 13, 2007 8:17:59 AM

20. If anyone is interested in reading about Karl Lagerfeld you should pick up a copy of The Beautiful Fall: Lagerfeld, Saint Laurent, and Glorious Excess in 1970's Paris by Alicia Drake. It gives some very interesting insight into the man that seems to coincide very well with what the NYer profile is saying here. It's also the gay version of a romance novel as far as I'm concerned. Not so much romantic love as a romantic period. You'll have to read it to get what I mean, but I promise it's worth it.

Posted by: MT | Mar 13, 2007 9:15:52 AM

21. I applaud Thomas Roberts but not Anderson Cooper. Roberts is an openly gay man, honest about his sexuality. Anderson Cooper is still hiding in the closet. Why didn't the CNN story last night mention Roberts sexuality at all? Because to do so would highlight the hypocrisy of a closeted gay man interviewing and out and proud one. Anderson's hiding affected his full reporting of this story. Some newsman he is. NOT.

Posted by: phil | Mar 13, 2007 9:31:25 AM

22. I don't think the point of the Roberts piece was to probe into all aspects of what happened to him. I can see how you would be disappointed if that's what you thought it was about. I don't think it's our business to understand exactly what happened to Roberts and to judge him.

The point of the piece was to show how difficult it is to get legislators to pass tougher laws on sexual abuse in the face of the depressingly powerful Catholic church. With all the victims that have come forth, and all the admissions of guilt, you would imagine it would be easy to pass tougher laws, but as Roberts and others are finding out, that's not the case.

That's the eye-opener for most viewers. I can't see how the producers could have added in the fact that he's gay. and what that possibly means, without clouding the main issue, which is about his struggle to pass tougher laws. And how even priests who admit to guilt, like his abuser, end up getting a slap on the wrist. His priest hasn't even been defrocked.

Posted by: SGR | Mar 13, 2007 10:04:50 AM

23. WHAT REALLY IS SHAMEFUL, IS THE FACT THAT FATHER JEFF TOOK THE PLACE OF FATHER LAWRENCE BRETT (WHO IS STILL IN HIDING BY THE WAY), WHO WAS ALSO ABUSING KIDS AT CALVERT HALL PREP SCHOOL, ALONG WITH, THREE CHRISTIAN BROTHERS...I WAS ABUSED BY ONE OF THE THREE...TOM AND I WERE NOT ATTENDING CALVERT HALL AT THE SAME TIME (I WAS THERE A FULL 10 YEARS BEFORE HIM)...IT HAS ONLY BEEN DURING THE PAST FEW YEARS THAT CALVERT HALL HAS ACTUALLY ADMITTED TO THE ABUSES THAT TOOK PLACE...THEY WERE GOING TO DEDICATE A NEWLY ERECTED FACILITY AFTER ONE OF THE BROTHERS BUT, AFTER LEARNING THAT HE HAD ABUSED SOME STUDENTS AT THE SCHOOL, THE BUILDING NAME WAS CHANGED...WHO KNOWS HOW LONG THE ABUSES WERE BEING COMMITTED AND, BY HOW MANY TEACHERS AT THE SCHOOL...THE ADMINISTRATION AT THE SCHOOL TURNED A BLIND EYE TO IT FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

Posted by: CLIFF | Mar 13, 2007 11:04:56 AM

24. ben patrick johnson can't even MOVE HIS FACE. is that what happens on the "left coast?"

Posted by: robert | Mar 13, 2007 11:22:20 AM

25. I don't know why so many people are commenting on whoever this Thomas Roberts person is when Karl is SO much more interesting. Maybe if people turned off the boob tube long enough to follow something TRULY interesting like fashion, they'd realize what a genius he is. KARL RULES!

Posted by: Justin | Mar 13, 2007 9:15:28 PM